Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Death of Diesel

steve49

Reaction score
Agree Nick, it'll be slow going! Since California and few other states says no more gas/diesel vehicle sales after 2032 or 35, it'll be interesting to see how the public takes to this. One thing for sure, your gas/diesel vehicle will no longer have any value $$.

MtnRider

Reaction score
While I have no doubt the US will go there eventually (especially the way the politics are going) It's going to be a long long time before it happens here. Completely different use cases between the large US and tiny France.

silver billet

Reaction score
Diesel trucks will be the last to go. Electric simply can't compete yet with trucks that tow. We will need more break throughs in battery storage density, reduced charging time, and massive grid improvements before electric becomes viable here. My completely wild guess is at least 15 to 20 years before electric can replace a diesel truck (for those that want them).

Chrisminx

Reaction score
It's just interesting this came out this week after Ram is now part of Stellantis.

@JC

Reaction score
That's the key, around town you can regen, out on the highway you don't and those 300+ mile range claims prove to be just another green lie.

Cseybert

Reaction score
I work in construction all my subcontractors pull heavy trailers with heavy equipment, no electric vehicle is going to do that day in and day out.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thats funny unless they can create a stable battery system that wont burn for hours if caught on fire (teslas burn for about 24-26 hrs and cant be put out) they will never dominate the market they have tried the all electric thing here with some mines they failed and are converting back to diesels...we will always need gas or diesel systems... California is a joke

AnywhereInTX

Reaction score
I'm interested to see how Ford (& rumored Toyota) do with their new batch of 1/2 ton hybrids. I really think pairing a twin turbo V6 with a real electric motor will yield a decent option over the half ton diesels. Won't be the same, but if those engines can eat 87 octane and not cost $4K+, then they have potential in the half-ton market. I really don't see diesel going away anytime soon for trucks that really need to do work.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
That's the key, around town you can regen, out on the highway you don't and those 300+ mile range claims prove to be just another green lie.
You missed the "up to" 300 mile range.

MikeXM

Reaction score
The change will happen gradually. Most "oldies" won't have anything to do with electric. But the younger generations will gradually take over the buying market and they will adopt it fast.
Don't think the grid will not follow the market... it will. Follow the money.

Just look of the expansion of Tesla in the last 10 years. It started as a joke. Now, they are everywhere.
Electric semi are coming fast. And it is not just for highway vehicles. Yesterday I saw an article on a logging company that put deposit on one.

In the meanwhile, I will enjoy my diesel truck!

Xflight29

Reaction score
The shift comes avid a growing debate of emission standards especially now the that Dems rule the government .
Electric trucks are more viable where you have much shorter routes less loads and can charge.
The industry is no where close to switching.

Newto5thGen

Reaction score
Thats funny unless they can create a stable battery system that wont burn for hours if caught on fire (teslas burn for about 24-26 hrs and cant be put out) they will never dominate the market they have tried the all electric thing here with some mines they failed and are converting back to diesels...we will always need gas or diesel systems... California is a joke
So that's how they are recycling the batteries. The fires can be used to power steam generators for the grid. It is a double win. Or we just make a whole new mountain range with all the used batteries. I can't wait to see all the frequency drops with the US grid being all renewables, and I'm sure nobody will complain about repeated blackouts being the new norm.

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
Hmm. No more gas or diesel GM vehicles in 14 years? Wonder if whatever is in the Tesla semi can find it’s way into 3/4 ton trucks soon.

BAT3500

Reaction score
Our truck price tags are pushing towards the 100k mark now. Wonder what this new electron power is gonna cost?? Hard to onboard with this idea at least for now.

Users who are viewing this thread