Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Cam power

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
I have a question. I have three wires coming out of dashcam harness: ACC, Battery and ground cable. Do I still have to connect my ACC even if battery and ground wires is already connected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you don't want parking mode you can twist acc/batt together and it'll just come on when you start the truck ..

2500ltd

Reaction score
It's been covered in a few posts. #7, #27/28.
Thanks. I read those but the one near the steering wheel is constant power I believe or did I misunderstand? Mirror is ignition but it‘s quite a ways from where I’d install the dash cam battery. Looking for anything lower down in the cabin I can tap into for ignition power.

Last edited:

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
You know I have mine plugged into the power microwave charger below buttons and I know the camera detects and records when truck is off. But last two or three days it’s been cold and raining so it must have had power more than usual. But long story battery level dropped down to 10.8 and had to be jumped each morning. Two large batteries drain that much is it because of cold or camera drawing power at night??

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
2021 RAM 3500 Blackout Megacab
2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS
2020 Jayco NorthPoint 382FL
2021 Luxe Elite 42FL
2022 Grand Design Solitude 380FL-R
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L-Summit

rauan

Reaction score
If you don't want parking mode you can twist acc/batt together and it'll just come on when you start the truck ..

Can I twist batt and acc wires together and connect to constant 12v on the battery?

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Can I twist batt and acc wires together and connect to constant 12v on the battery?

Probably...but it'd always be on and I don't know if it would have the low voltage cutoff.....try it out...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I read those but the one near the steering wheel is constant power I believe or did I misunderstand? Mirror is ignition but it‘s quite a ways from where I’d install the dash cam battery. Looking for anything lower down in the cabin I can tap into for ignition power.

Do you have the console rear USB ports?

Based on member name I'm guessing limited? It helps (those on browsers) if you add your truck info in your sig.

2500ltd

Reaction score
Do you have the console rear USB ports?

Based on member name I'm guessing limited? It helps (those on browsers) if you add your truck info in your sig.
Yep. I got a Limited and I do have the USB ports in the rear. That is something I coup tap into?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Yep. I got a Limited and I do have the USB ports in the rear. That is something I coup tap into?
The connector plugged into the rear USB ports has both battery power and acc. The pink/yellow wire is acc, and the red wire is battery. If you have the wireless charger, it also has pink/yellow acc power.

2500ltd

Reaction score
The connector plugged into the rear USB ports has both battery power and acc. The pink/yellow wire is acc, and the red wire is battery. If you have the wireless charger, it also has pink/yellow acc power.
Ok. Thanks. Can I tap into those wires and still use the USB ports (though we rarely use the ones in the back) or will I blow the fuses?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. Can I tap into those wires and still use the USB ports (though we rarely use the ones in the back) or will I blow the fuses?
Yes, the rear usb acc wire is the same circuit as the rear view mirror.

2500ltd

Reaction score
Yes, the rear usb acc wire is the same circuit as the rear view mirror.
Thanks. Not the electrical expert here so a couple more questions. Since I have the powered rear view mirror in my Limited, does this mean I can’t use it and power the Dashcam? Or would I need to up the fuse for that circuit? Thanks again.

Thedaran

Reaction score
Same thing I just discovered. I wonder if they changed the connectors on the 22 models.
I returned my original purchase. Donger contacted me and said the incorrect adaptor was packaged by them. I received a full refund and purchased another, so see if this one fits.

ColderWeather86

Reaction score
Palmer, Alaska. Formerly Prescott, Arizona.
Thanks. Not the electrical expert here so a couple more questions. Since I have the powered rear view mirror in my Limited, does this mean I can’t use it and power the Dashcam? Or would I need to up the fuse for that circuit? Thanks again.
You can tap into it to power the camera without risk of popping the fuse, the amperage draw is minimal.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

What is the current draw on your other device? If you're just charging a BBU for the dashcam, it's likely 3A at most?

FWIW, I used the console USB to get ignition power to the rear for my TPMS transmitter (USB input) and just plugged in a 90° adapter and ran it in through the cubby, down, and under the carpet.

You can tap into it to power the camera without risk of popping the fuse, the amperage draw is minimal.

I think Jimmy said the mirror (on a 10A fuse) is around 1A? the USB would likely draw less than 3A.

I believe these are the fuses that are in play:

F80/ATR (Micro2)10 Amp RedUniversal Garage Door Opener / Compass / Anti-Intrusion Module (DS 1500 Only) ASSY Overhead Console / SW Assist / SW 911 – If Equipped (HD Only)
F90/F91/ATR (Micro2)20 Amp YellowIGN or BATT Customer Selectable – If Equipped (HD Only) Power Outlet (Rear Seats) Customer Selectable (DS 1500 Only)
F104/ATR (Micro2)20 Amp YellowPower Outlets (Instrument Panel / Center Console) / Trunk – If Equipped (DS 1500 Only) UCI Port / USB Rear (HD Only)

2500ltd

Reaction score
What is the current draw on your other device? If you're just charging a BBU for the dashcam, it's likely 3A at most?

FWIW, I used the console USB to get ignition power to the rear for my TPMS transmitter (USB input) and just plugged in a 90° adapter and ran it in through the cubby, down, and under the carpet.

I think Jimmy said the mirror (on a 10A fuse) is around 1A? the USB would likely draw less than 3A.

I believe these are the fuses that are in play:

F80/ATR (Micro2)10 Amp RedUniversal Garage Door Opener / Compass / Anti-Intrusion Module (DS 1500 Only) ASSY Overhead Console / SW Assist / SW 911 – If Equipped (HD Only)
F90/F91/ATR (Micro2)20 Amp YellowIGN or BATT Customer Selectable – If Equipped (HD Only) Power Outlet (Rear Seats) Customer Selectable (DS 1500 Only)
F104/ATR (Micro2)20 Amp YellowPower Outlets (Instrument Panel / Center Console) / Trunk – If Equipped (DS 1500 Only) UCI Port / USB Rear (HD Only)

Thanks for the info sir. Quite helpful. I want to use Parking Mode and to do that, I plan on using a DashCam battery to not tax the RAM's batteries. Specs of the model I'm looking at say it's got an input of 12V/17V, 13A. They recommended to hardwire it directly to the fuse panel to speed up charge. I suspect the USB at 3A would mean slower charge times?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info sir. Quite helpful. I want to use Parking Mode and to do that, I plan on using a DashCam battery to not tax the RAM's batteries. Specs of the model I'm looking at say it's got an input of 12V/17V, 13A. They recommended to hardwire it directly to the fuse panel to speed up charge. I suspect the USB at 3A would mean slower charge times?

You wouldn't plug it into the USB like I did (*that's only 5V). My device was USB powered.

If you want the dashcam BBU to only get power with IGN, use the line that's F90/F91. It's on a 20A circuit so you should be good.

Users who are viewing this thread