Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Cam power

Thedaran

Reaction score
Interesting thought. I would assume there is power due to the auto dimming feature, but I would assume it would be easier to run a hardline power cord along the headliner and down to the fuse box.

John Jensen

Reaction score
There's 12v ignition power at the mirror on pink/yellow, ground on black.
Most dash cams use 5v, for them you need a 12v to 5v Power Adapter Reducer

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Now is the power supply at this point ignition or battery fed?
Below is my reply to someone else in another thread asking similar questions:
If you want constant battery power, run the power wire over to the driver side A-pillar. Pop the side panel off the driver side of the dash, and there is an in-line connector there with a red wire to tap. That battery power wire is on a 10 amp fuse, and is only used when the tailgate release button is pressed in the overhead console, if equipped. Otherwise, that wire is not used.
If you want ignition power, and you have at least an auto dim rear view mirror, tap the pink/yellow wire of the connector that is plugged into the mirror. That circuit is on a 10 amp fuse, and the mirror only draws less than an amp. If you have a base mirror, and that connector is not there (the one that would plug into a premium rear view mirror), run your power wire over to the passenger side A-pillar. Pop the side panel off the passenger side of the dash, and tap the pink/yellow wire at that in-line connector. This is the same circuit as mentioned for the mirror, but isn’t used for anything if you have a base mirror.

Thedaran

Reaction score

kpecks

Reaction score

Razzman

Reaction score
I sent the seller/maker of the harness a message to see if he plans on making any more. It’s a very easy solution if you don’t want to run any wires down.
I emailed the seller directly and he states they should have more by the end of month. I just installed a Rove R2-4K dash cam and want mine hardwire connected as well, just happened to have a short 12" USB Mini cable lying around so it goes to the 12v dash outlet for now.

kpecks

Reaction score
I emailed the seller directly and he states they should have more by the end of month. I just installed a Rove R2-4K dash cam and want mine hardwire connected as well, just happened to have a short 12" USB Mini cable lying around so it goes to the 12v dash outlet for now.
Nice. I need a cam for the front and rear. Have had a few minor rear enders where the other driver “wasn’t texting” only to prove them that they were.

Razzman

Reaction score
Nice. I need a cam for the front and rear. Have had a few minor rear enders where the other driver “wasn’t texting” only to prove them that they were.
Same reason I got one. And since we tow our trailer all over I feel better knowing it's there.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
How hard is it to pull the 12” screen to get at the wires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two screws under the top cubby rubber pad.

Give it a sharp but short yank from the top cubby. It's surrounded by plastic clips.

Make sure you protect the screen (towel on column shifter if equipped.

That said, read Jimmy07's post about power available in the A-pillars and/or mirror.

ColderWeather86

Reaction score
Palmer, Alaska. Formerly Prescott, Arizona.
Two screws under the top cubby rubber pad.

Give it a sharp but short yank from the top cubby. It's surrounded by plastic clips.

Make sure you protect the screen (towel on column shifter if equipped.

That said, read Jimmy07's post about power available in the A-pillars and/or mirror.
Lol. "Yank." That's the immature part of me coming out.

Users who are viewing this thread