Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins HO Squeaky Belt or Pulley

KBob

Reaction score
I guess what I would find interesting is anyone with a 19/20 who says their truck has been totally silent. Never a squeak of any kind from the accessory drive.???

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
2019, 26K klicka-nomiters no squeal (knock on every wood surface in arms reach) but the wife started it yesterday and it surged like crazy 20-30 seconds. Thought it was glitter time but it setled down and seems to be alright. Has anyone else experienced weird surging at start-up?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
2019, 26K klicka-nomiters no squeal (knock on every wood surface in arms reach) but the wife started it yesterday and it surged like crazy 20-30 seconds. Thought it was glitter time but it setled down and seems to be alright. Has anyone else experienced weird surging at start-up?

Surge on the tach or sound? The fan often kicks in and it sounds like it's approaching takeoff speed.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I was standing 30’ away and It sounded quite like a old time diesel on cold start. 3seconds up 3 seconds down so it had to be rpm. She pulled across the yard 30’ slow and then it was smooth. It was parked at a crazy angle on a hill with one corner up so I could wash out the box but I can’t believe that matter.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I was standing 30’ away and It sounded quite like a old time diesel on cold start. 3seconds up 3 seconds down so it had to be rpm. She pulled across the yard 30’ slow and then it was smooth. It was parked at a crazy angle on a hill with one corner up so I could wash out the box but I can’t believe that matter.

Temp? Almost sounds like grid heater cycling.

KBob

Reaction score
Going to revive this one more time. On my 2020 SO the bumper to bumper warranty is about to expire, although I suppose the belt may be on the 5 year powertrain warranty? Has there ever been a TSB, or an actual cause and effect repair discovered for the belt chirp short of "greasing the belt"?
Is it now just common knowledge that the belts on them chirp, and there's no know repair so I should move on and chirp happily along?

thestuarts

Reaction score
Going to revive this one more time. On my 2020 SO the bumper to bumper warranty is about to expire, although I suppose the belt may be on the 5 year powertrain warranty? Has there ever been a TSB, or an actual cause and effect repair discovered for the belt chirp short of "greasing the belt"?
Is it now just common knowledge that the belts on them chirp, and there's no know repair so I should move on and chirp happily along?

TSB 09-009-21

SeaBee-1

Reaction score
I have a 22’ built in June. Only 1,600 mi and it’s at dealer now for “belt squeak”.

KBob

Reaction score
I have a 22’ built in June. Only 1,600 mi and it’s at dealer now for “belt squeak”.
This answers a question I've been having. FCA hasn't figured out how to fix it yet. Now all I have to do is figure out if I want to chance them removing my balancer and screwing something up, while not fixing the problem long term..................... sigh

SeaBee-1

Reaction score
A new belt didn’t do it, so they put on a new tensioner now and that has seemed to work … so far.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Crank pulley backordered.

"Tech cannot reproduce." That's the 3rd time in for the chirp and even have videos/audio of it. Tech must be deaf.

jsalbre

Reaction score

"Tech cannot reproduce." That's the 3rd time in for the chirp and even have videos/audio of it. Tech must be deaf.
Once he pulls the truck into the bay and shuts it off it doesn’t make any weird noises.

Razzman

Reaction score

"Tech cannot reproduce." That's the 3rd time in for the chirp and even have videos/audio of it. Tech must be deaf
One the third instance I had the service writer come out and listen with the tech to make sure we were all on the same page. I specifically made sure everybody heard it. Funny that it never happened again after that.

Florotory

Reaction score
Someone on another page or maybe the FB group told me to put a small amount of dielectric grease on the belt. I thought it was crazy but worth a try if I was going to have to replace stuff anyway. Noise instantly went away.

I used a super small amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone on another page or maybe the FB group told me to put a small amount of dielectric grease on the belt. I thought it was crazy but worth a try if I was going to have to replace stuff anyway. Noise instantly went away.

Worth repeating, but that fix was posted upthread probably a year ago. ;) It's temporary.

Florotory

Reaction score
Worth repeating, but that fix was posted upthread probably a year ago. ;) It's temporary.

Haha. Sorry. I only read this page. So far it’s been about 2 months and hasn’t come back. But I’m sure it will

Razzman

Reaction score

Won't last long, did it a couple of times before I could get it in the shop, comes right back

Users who are viewing this thread