Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins HO Squeaky Belt or Pulley

Razzman

Reaction score
Mine was just done again a couple weeks ago. It had started again not too long after being replaced the last time so I went to dealer for them to hear it and they agreed it was the belt again. Told them i'd bring it back and just put a dab of silicon grease on it until I could. So when they did it a few weeks ago they stated they found Star Case #S2109000011 to replace harmonic balancer with a different design and move the A/C compressor to the furthest rear position. Sounds like snake oil to me but it hasn't squeaked or chirped since. We'll see.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this chirping problem only on the diesel Ram? Or the gas version also? And has FCA found a fix for it yet?
They both do it but for different reasons.

Hemi is generally believed to be exhaust related.

The CTD is belt, pulley, or idler.

There are threads for both so please keep Q&A in the correct thread.

Sent from my work avoidance device

Last edited:

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
2 month squeak free update...

For anybody considering going the lemon route.. skip the arbitration and just get a lawyer. The attorney I contacted felt I had a very strong case but I thought the arbitration would be the quicker solution. Ended up being a complete joke.

Over 30 days down in 3 months of ownership. Replaced belt, idler/ crank pulley, fan bearing, stripped powder coat, etc.

Apparently Fca has zero regard for customer service and customer retention. Who cares that your brand new 60k+ truck squaks, it still gets you from point a to point b right?

Heres the fix I came up with... been sqeak/squeel free for a couple months now! View attachment 15772
You'll be back :)>

AngryVet

Reaction score
Big thank you to those suggesting the dielectric grease. The squeak was driving me nuts for years. Very embarrassing.

Don’t spend over a hundred for the belt and tensioner. $7 tube of grease fixed it in 10 seconds.

Lift89

Reaction score
Big thank you to those suggesting the dielectric grease. The squeak was driving me nuts for years. Very embarrassing.

Don’t spend over a hundred for the belt and tensioner. $7 tube of grease fixed it in 10 seconds.

Be careful, the dielectric grease caused more problems for me after a few thousand miles and some towing of the camper. Belt was slipping and got WAY louder. Started chirping loud on **** down due to slippage. I pulled that belt off, cleaned off all the pulleys and put on a new belt and the squeak is back but at least I’m not getting slippage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clawdog79

Reaction score
Be careful, the dielectric grease caused more problems for me after a few thousand miles and some towing of the camper. Belt was slipping and got WAY louder. Started chirping loud on **** down due to slippage. I pulled that belt off, cleaned off all the pulleys and put on a new belt and the squeak is back but at least I’m not getting slippage.

How much did you use? I found that a small amount fixed the issue for me for several months now and no slippage

Lift89

Reaction score
How much did you use? I found that a small amount fixed the issue for me for several months now and no slippage

Not really sure. But by the sound of it maybe a little to much lol.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Grease is not going to fix anything permanently... Its still slipping in the same spot but you aren't hearing it because the friction between the belt and pulley is drastically reduced. It will wear away and the squeak will come back.

QCHunter

Reaction score
Posted a vid of my nosie. While engine is running I put a ratchet in the tensioner detent hole and manually tensioned it and the nosie would stop. Couldn't get a vid doing that. Headed out for a gates belt and tensioner.
That’s the same noise I have. Took it in and they said it is normal because it sounds like another truck on the lot. Headed down now to take truck somewhere else since they think this is normal.

KBob

Reaction score
That’s the same noise I have. Took it in and they said it is normal because it sounds like another truck on the lot. Headed down now to take truck somewhere else since they think this is normal.
LOL, it is "Normal" since it seems they all do it. The question is, what is acceptable, and what is not? I'm surprised someone hasn't figured it out, short of greasing the belt........

Lift89

Reaction score
It’s complete BS there still isn’t a fix for this. Ram/Chrysler out to get there sh*t together.

genepace696

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

We hear your concerns and are sorry that you're currently experiencing these noises. If anyone decides to get this addressed by a certified Ram dealer and would like additional support to get this resolved, you are more than welcome to reach out to our @RamCares team! Additionally, if you are currently working with your dealer, please keep us updated on your progress so we can see your resolution through until the end, should any concerns arise during the process. Thank you & have an awesome weekend!

Courtney
Ram Cares
I'm having this problem and I took it to the dealership, at first they said nothing was wrong, then after showing them the sound they said it was the belt tensioner, I changed that and now 3 days later the sound is back, can you help me out?

KBob

Reaction score
Been following along, and squeaking along as well. Sitting her wondering the years are effected? 2019 until ???????
Are the 2022 trucks doing it? Has anything in the serpentine system changed since 2020?
Mine is a 2020 built if Feb of 2020, purchased in May 2020, and started squeaking that fall at 4000 miles.

Razzman

Reaction score
It’s been about 3K since it both were changed for the third time now and so far it has been ok. We will see about longevity though.

immersivenc

Reaction score
My 2020 chirped after the first couple thousand miles. I ended up trading it before it was resolved, but had the dealer change the belt and tensioner once and had a diesel performance shop do it a second time with gates belt and tensioner. Neither time resolved the issue. I now have a 2022 and it has not squeaked yet, but only about 600 miles on it.

KBob

Reaction score
My 2020 chirped after the first couple thousand miles. I ended up trading it before it was resolved, but had the dealer change the belt and tensioner once and had a diesel performance shop do it a second time with gates belt and tensioner. Neither time resolved the issue. I now have a 2022 and it has not squeaked yet, but only about 600 miles on it.
Just spit balling, but it seems like if the new trucks don't do it something has changed in the belt system? If that's the case, like with the CP4 HPFP, FCA now knows what needed to be changed to remove the problem. One would think it would be common knowledge by now?

thrust

Reaction score
I'm still struggling with this issue. Anyone updates?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Hilly1

Reaction score
I was gonna contact my dealer on this issue again hoping there was a fix as I too still have the chirp

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine has been noted on every service visit including the Y78 recall. It's always, "cannot duplicate." They must be deaf.

Users who are viewing this thread