Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins HO Squeaky Belt or Pulley

Cummins3

Reaction score
Right. However all these people getting warranty work done just to have the same defective part put back on it and have it squeak and chirp several miles later is a pain in the ass. So I upgraded my pulley, that did not work.

So to eliminate pulleys or bearing i spray the inside of the stock belt with water and the noise went away. Then came back.

So next I’m going to put a heavy duty belt on it. Gates green HD belt. PN K081244HD.

Spraying the water means one of two things. ****ty belt or a misalignment on the pulleys. I’m assuming it’s the belt and when people replacing the belt, it goes away for a short time then comes back.

I’ll keep y’all posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plz do

Lift89

Reaction score
Right. However all these people getting warranty work done just to have the same defective part put back on it and have it squeak and chirp several miles later is a pain in the ass. So I upgraded my pulley, that did not work.

So to eliminate pulleys or bearing i spray the inside of the stock belt with water and the noise went away. Then came back.

So next I’m going to put a heavy duty belt on it. Gates green HD belt. PN K081244HD.

Spraying the water means one of two things. ****ty belt or a misalignment on the pulleys. I’m assuming it’s the belt and when people replacing the belt, it goes away for a short time then comes back.

I’ll keep y’all posted.

Hey all, just got the belt and replaced it today with that part number above. You can tell it’s fed a heavier duty belt. I will have to wait till morning when it’s cold to start it and see if it squeaks and chirps. Otherwise install was easy took about 20 min. Belt seems pretty high quality.

I’ll let you know in the morning.

Lift89

Reaction score
Hey all, just got the belt and replaced it today with that part number above. You can tell it’s fed a heavier duty belt. I will have to wait till morning when it’s cold to start it and see if it squeaks and chirps. Otherwise install was easy took about 20 min. Belt seems pretty high quality.

I’ll let you know in the morning.

Hey all, it was 29 degrees this morning and there was NO chirp or squeak. So from what I’m gathering it’s the stock belt and tensioner pulley combo that’s causing that problem. My stock belt only had 5,000 miles on it and was really dry and looked like it was going to start cracking soon. The gates HD belt I got was thicker and way better quality. Time will tell but as of right now, it’s fixed. Stock parts suck, thank god for aftermarket.

NTexasCummins

Reaction score
Hey all, it was 29 degrees this morning and there was NO chirp or squeak. So from what I’m gathering it’s the stock belt and tensioner pulley combo that’s causing that problem. My stock belt only had 5,000 miles on it and was really dry and looked like it was going to start cracking soon. The gates HD belt I got was thicker and way better quality. Time will tell but as of right now, it’s fixed. Stock parts suck, thank god for aftermarket.

Good news. I’ll wait a couple days and make sure your still good then grab a belt. I still have the new tensioner on so hopefully after the belt it’ll be good

Cummins3

Reaction score

Let us know as time goes on..... Did u only change the belt...???

Lift89

Reaction score
Let us know as time goes on..... Did u only change the belt...???

I change to a HD Gates Green belt. And changed to a Gates tensioner pulley. Both are way better quality compared to stock. Still no noise after drive a few miles today. Will keep updated as the days go on.

Lift89

Reaction score
I change to a HD Gates Green belt. And changed to a Gates tensioner pulley. Both are way better quality compared to stock. Still no noise after drive a few miles today. Will keep updated as the days go on.

Hey again. It’s been really cold here. Low of 14-20. Still NO squeak or chirp. So I’m def concluding that it’s the stock belt/pulley combo. After upgrading both to gates and upgrading to a heavy duty belt, it’s def fixed the issue....for me.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Noise came back today this morning was cold not sure if I wanna do it or bring back to dealer and get runaround

Lift89

Reaction score
Noise came back today this morning was cold not sure if I wanna do it or bring back to dealer and get runaround

I’m telling toy. Try it out, I know it sucks with a new truck, but it seems they are putting a ****ty belt/pulley combo on it. Have you sprayed some water on your belt while it’s running to see if the noise goes away

Cummins3

Reaction score
I’m telling toy. Try it out, I know it sucks with a new truck, but it seems they are putting a ****ty belt/pulley combo on it. Have you sprayed some water on your belt while it’s running to see if the noise goes away

What was part numbers of gates tensioner and belt??? Where did u get it from??? Are they all same numbers for 2500 and 3500

Lift89

Reaction score
What was part numbers of gates tensioner and belt??? Where did u get it from??? Are they all same numbers for 2500 and 3500

The numbers are in previous comments. And yes as long as it’s a 2019+ and has SINGLE Alternator.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Thanx

Tensioner 38285 which I recall u changed and chirp was still there... Then u changed
To a gates belt K081244HD. And it went away so safe to say it was belt??

I'm going to buy a gates belt from geno's and try it out worth 30$ in my opinion

Sowa

Reaction score
Wish I found this thread sooner. My truck has the same noise on start up. Probably started about 4k miles. I currently have a little over 10k on it now.

I'll give the belt a shot first, will need to go find the HD belt for the dual alternator setup.

Hilly1

Reaction score
I get this fix but we are enabling RAM that we will be happy to fix these 80,000 plus trucks ourselves really? I’m not going here, I will document document document then let the chips fall where they may. Buy back or force them to realize they have got some fixing to resolve. Or at least let RAM pay for the aftermarket fix. Great PR pulling up sounding like a bunch of birds chipping under the hood PR embarrassment at its finest!!!

Cummins3

Reaction score
Just want to resolve it myself. Can't keep wasting my time with them giving me run around and claiming is fixed

SNYDER15

Reaction score
Does anyone else's HO Cummins squeak/Chirp at startup? This is only the first startup of the day after its sat all night. Didn't do it when it was brand new 3 months ago and started about a month ago.. I love spending 82k on something just to have it sound like i have a bird living in the engine... I will obviously take it to the dealer but wondering if anyone else has/had this and what the dealer did to fix it... Just chirps or squeaks for like 5 minutes then goes away.

And don't say deal with it, it obviously wasn't there when brand new and now has developed so it, shouldn't be a normal sound. Thanks!
I noticed a squeaking sound in the same way. I really didn't think to much about it. Then my injector pump failed. Maybe yours is going bad, could be related.

Tagthecomet

Reaction score
My 2020 Ram 2500 with 3K miles has been at the dealership for 9 days with this issue of squeaking sound. Just got off the phone with service person and was told there is no ETA on when my truck will be ready. I've owned for less than 3 months and I've had in the shop at least 4 times with different stuff.........very frustrating!!!

Users who are viewing this thread