Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins HO Squeaky Belt or Pulley

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Well.... if they know how to hold up a staight piece or metal it should be pretty easy to tell if they are lined up! That’s how us dumb farmers have been doing it for the last hundred years.

mawidc

Reaction score
Hopefully they are getting it worked out. I can say I really feel like the local crew is trying everything that they can think of to get it fixed. They have been in contact with the next level up seeking guidance and advice as well. They mentioned to me that the next level up has only heard of one other case. When I look at this thread it seems there is a bigger problem than just mine. Have any engineering peeps gotten involved?

justlkn

Reaction score
Hopefully they are getting it worked out. I can say I really feel like the local crew is trying everything that they can think of to get it fixed. They have been in contact with the next level up seeking guidance and advice as well. They mentioned to me that the next level up has only heard of one other case. When I look at this thread it seems there is a bigger problem than just mine. Have any engineering peeps gotten involved?

I had a star case opened for mine. Two tensioner pulleys and a belt. Still makes noise but not as bad.

mawidc

Reaction score
Follow up to the latest repair. Belt showed excessive wear on the outside edges. Local dealership pulled it apart again and realigned / cleaned all pulleys. They also were able to adjust the AC compressor / pump. I got the truck back and it is intermittently making the noise still. Not nearly as often though. After the truck completely warms up I tend to not hear it. I tried to follow up with the FCA group and received a message that my case had been closed out. I did not agree to this because in my mind the issue isn’t completely resolved. This was disappointing to say the least. I have reached out in other ways but think I have been blacklisted and they will not communicate. I am not done with this and plan to start a social media campaign to warn other buyers of the lack of concern FVA corporate has for its buyers. I have purchased magnetic lemons that I have on my truck as I drive it around people ask questions and I am happy to chat about my situation. I have been stopped probably 20+ times and every time I convinced buyers to avoid FCA products. It is my intent to make this a nation wide campaign. I will contact the BBB and Consumer Protection groups as well. I hope my actions help others experiencing these issues get theirs resolved. I will update as necessary.

clendaniel

Reaction score
Following this one closely....started noticing a slight squeak around 2k and am at ~7700 now on my '19 and it's starting to worsen. Planning on taking it in soon but interesting that it seems to be a more widespread issue. Has anyone managed to solve the issue 100%? It would seem that best-case I can hope for a temp bandaid which on a brand new truck is pretty disappointing.

--Ian

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Following this one closely....started noticing a slight squeak around 2k and am at ~7700 now on my '19 and it's starting to worsen. Planning on taking it in soon but interesting that it seems to be a more widespread issue. Has anyone managed to solve the issue 100%? It would seem that best-case I can hope for a temp bandaid which on a brand new truck is pretty disappointing.

--Ian

Hey Ian,

I regret to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your truck. When you do move forward with your dealer, please be sure to follow up with us via private message. We would like to escalate your situation to a Case Manager which will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concern, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the concern addressed and resolved.

Mark
RamCares

CurtJ

Reaction score
Had my belt and tensioner replaced at 2400 mi. now has 4900 mi and all is still good. Mine is the standard output Diesel. They put on a MOPAR belt which I was told was made by Gates. Tech said the the belts that come on the Cummins stock are junk! He had heard of the stock belts shredding at 4-5k miles or sooner. Someone needs to be doing better QC at Cummins! 10k for a motor and using sub par belts? What else are they skimping on.....;-/

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Probably using them cheap @$$ spark plugs! ;) Tens of thousand dollar components and it’s all pennies pennies pennies.

J Buck

Reaction score
I have had this issue for a few months now. Took it to two different dealers. One said they could never find the noise the other being Gary Mathews motors said its supposedly sound like that. Neither one of them fix the issue. Ram care isn’t that much help because I have opened up two cases for the same problem and the noise is still present. As I’ve seen on these form posts I think this is a systemic issue that ram needs to address with these trucks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mawidc

Reaction score
Hi all. So RamCares has gone radio silent with me. I think they are tired of dealing with me. Not sure they really care!

CurtJ

Reaction score
Curt j is it the same noise as my video and buck??
It sure sounds the same. The tech noticed mine when I went in for a radio reflash cause my radio was going blank while I would be driving. I went to pick up my truck and he said, hey we ordered a belt and pully for your Diesel cause it’s squeaking .

Cummins3

Reaction score
Thank you when I get time I will have to bring it in and have them look and mention that thank you.

CurtJ

Reaction score
Thank you when I get time I will have to bring it in and have them look and mention that thank you.
Your welcome!!! Hope that fixes you up!!!! I didn’t notice it at first but then the tech started my truck and said: Hear that? That’s a bad belt and pully. Then he went on to tell me about the junk belt that Cummins is using at their factory and how the MOPAR Gates made belt and pully fixes it. I said WOW!!!!!

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Your welcome!!! Hope that fixes you up!!!! I didn’t notice it at first but then the tech started my truck and said: Hear that? That’s a bad belt and pully. Then he went on to tell me about the junk belt that Cummins is using at their factory and how the MOPAR Gates made belt and pully fixes it. I said WOW!!!!!
I'm not sure about that. I've got 14K kms on the OE belt and tensioner (pulley) and have yet to hear a peep from these components. I'd be leaning more towards a bad batch of components from a supplier.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hi all. So RamCares has gone radio silent with me. I think they are tired of dealing with me. Not sure they really care!

I sincerely regret to hear your sentiments here, @mawidc. Please do not hesitate to follow up with me via private message to provide your case number so I can look into this further for you.

Mark
RamCares

mawidc

Reaction score
I sincerely regret to hear your sentiments here, @mawidc. Please do not hesitate to follow up with me via private message to provide your case number so I can look into this further for you.

Mark
RamCares
Thanks Mark. I am not sure how to PM.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Thanks Mark. I am not sure how to PM.

Hi @mawidc - If you hover your mouse over our profile icon, you should see the options 'Follow', 'Ignore' and 'Start Conversation'. Please click on 'Start Conversation' to set up a PM with us!

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread