Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins EGT locations question

Will_T

Reaction score
So it seems like EGT1 is just downstream of the turbo, and upstream of the DPF... If I were to pick one of the 5 readings would this be the best overall to monitor? I've also been reading that it is wise to let the engine idle a bit before shutdown to allow the temperatures to cool down and I was thinking that this EGT1 temperature would be a good place to start.
I monitor EGT1 and 3. EGT1 so I can know the temp before I shut down the engine. Sometimes when towing, it can be quite high when getting off the highway. I got a bit confused trying to remember what happens to those two temps for caomparison during regen, but now I confirm that EGT3 will spike a lot during a regen while EGT1 stays the same so having that displayed is a good way to know when your truck is in regen.

Last edited:

RJenkins1581

Reaction score
I understand your point . My point being is they stopped putting them on big rigs years ago for a reason with modern electronics (ECM's ) made them obsolete . The same applies to todays Cummins 6.7 . IF you are comforted by the fact you want to observe your EGT's by all means do . My 2020 Ram does not either and I spend zero time worrying about it . THE ECM is your primary alert !
This is not an accurate statement Freightliner, Volvo, Mack and KW still have EGT sensors. They never stopped installing them. Folks just stopped ordering them, mainly due to the fact that the "new generation" of drivers dont know or frankly care to know the info. They are simply bodies in a seat.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This is not an accurate statement Freightliner, Volvo, Mack and KW still have EGT sensors. They never stopped installing them. Folks just stopped ordering them, mainly due to the fact that the "new generation" of drivers dont know or frankly care to know the info. They are simply bodies in a seat.
Also his point is moot when most people who look for egt numbers are tuned and not running the OEM ECM safety net

Enve46

Reaction score
Bumping this thread... Have a tuned 2019 and just got a CTS3 to monitor things. So EGT1 is the closest to the manifold I can get without doing a pyro? Being mine is tuned with less weight, Im not even sure those sensors are relevant?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Bumping this thread... Have a tuned 2019 and just got a CTS3 to monitor things. So EGT1 is the closest to the manifold I can get without doing a pyro? Being mine is tuned with less weight, Im not even sure those sensors are relevant?
Yes and yes. Here's what I monitor with my CTS3 12 PID screen, and my notes. It may help you

Attachments

• 01b-Edge CTS3 Ram 3500 PID Data.pdf
    65.3 KB · Views: 23

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thank you! I think my tune renders the EGTs useless being there's not much there if you follow me. But this helps me immensely understand with things stand for, thank you!
Yea your EGT probes are not in use anymore

Users who are viewing this thread