Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins EGT locations question

John Jensen

Reaction score
I'm using Edge CTS3s on my two trucks and monitor the EGT temps. I thought I knew where each EGR sensor is located. I researched the forums to confirm my thoughts and found some conflicting data for the Cummins 6.7. Here's what I think it to be, but not sure.

Ram 3500 Cummins EGTs - In Question - need verifying
EGT1 is DOC Inlet (after turbo)
EGT2 is DOC Outlet
EGT3 is DPF Filter Outlet
EGT4 is SCR Inlet (Mid Band)
EGT5 is SCR Outlet

Can anyone verify the data for the Cummins?

thestuarts

Reaction score
The supplemental manual for my 2019 3500 contains the following information on the EGT sensors.

EGT 1/1 is located in the front exhaust pipe (#1 below):
1592602127562.png

EGT 1/2 is located in the rear of the DOC. (#1 below)
1592602099353.png

EGT 1/3 is located at the rear of the DPF (#3 below)
1592602061903.png

EGT 1/4 is located in the center of the SCR (#1 below)
1592602029040.png

EGT 1/5 is located at the rear of the SCR (#1 below)
1592601977723.png

carlrx7

Reaction score
I just want to know why do people still install aftermarket egt sensors when the truck has 5. How much better could it be than the oem options?

John Jensen

Reaction score
I just want to know why do people still install aftermarket egt sensors when the truck has 5. How much better could it be than the oem options?
I didn't know people were doing that. I do know that an exhaust manifold temp gauge (pyrometer) is necessary if you have a high horsepower tune.

Nick

Reaction score
They stopped putting EGT gauges in big rigs years ago . Unless you are adding more HP it is really a moot point . The engine is going to cut back anyway if the exhaust temps get too high so why hassle with it ?

John Jensen

Reaction score
They stopped putting EGT gauges in big rigs years ago . Unless you are adding more HP it is really a moot point . The engine is going to cut back anyway if the exhaust temps get too high so why hassle with it ?
Why? Because exhaust temp is one of the only two measurements we have to determine when our trucks are in danger of damage. The other being oil temp which is a calculated number, not an actual temp of the oil. Thus the exhaust temp becomes even more important. Fortunately, our Ecodiesels do have an exhaust manifold temp sensor, EGT #1. My 2020 Ram Cummins does not, so unless I install one the oil temp gauge is my primary alert.

Last edited:

Nick

Reaction score
I understand your point . My point being is they stopped putting them on big rigs years ago for a reason with modern electronics (ECM's ) made them obsolete . The same applies to todays Cummins 6.7 . IF you are comforted by the fact you want to observe your EGT's by all means do . My 2020 Ram does not either and I spend zero time worrying about it . THE ECM is your primary alert !

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just for curiosity's sake, I do like to see what the temps are during a regen so the info posted was helpful to confirm what they are.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I understand your point . My point being is they stopped putting them on big rigs years ago for a reason with modern electronics (ECM's ) made them obsolete . The same applies to todays Cummins 6.7 . IF you are comforted by the fact you want to observe your EGT's by all means do . My 2020 Ram does not either and I spend zero time worrying about it . THE ECM is your primary alert !
Curiosity - I'm not aware of any ECM alerts. How does the ECM alert me?

Nick

Reaction score
Curiosity - I'm not aware of any ECM alerts. How does the ECM alert me?
Warning lights illuminate , power cuts back that's how . I don't want drag this on do what makes you happy .

John Jensen

Reaction score
^^^^^
Thanks for your reply but I don't understand the commentary.

So, just as I thought, the ECU has no exhaust temp alert. Just indicators that there's something wrong and will probably throw a code only to find out the code can mean a myriad of things but there's trouble somewhere.

I'll stay with the "obsolete" Pyrometer Gauge and know exactly what's happening. I also use an Edge CTS3 to monitor 12 other parameters. Like you, I don't worry about it, I just like to know how things are performing.

Blueticks

Reaction score
The supplemental manual for my 2019 3500 contains the following information on the EGT sensors.

EGT 1/1 is located in the front exhaust pipe (#1 below):
View attachment 5299

EGT 1/2 is located in the rear of the DOC. (#1 below)
View attachment 5298

EGT 1/3 is located at the rear of the DPF (#3 below)
View attachment 5297

EGT 1/4 is located in the center of the SCR (#1 below)
View attachment 5296

EGT 1/5 is located at the rear of the SCR (#1 below)
View attachment 5295
Question: Would this information be very similar in the Ram 2500 Laramie? Mine is not the high out put motor. I am trying to set up Torque pro with my bluetotth OBDII. to monitor regens.

John Jensen

Reaction score
My unsolved dilemma.
Posts #1 & 2 say that EG1 is after the turbo. And I agree. However, I have a sensor factory mounted on the exhaust manifold between 5 & 6 outlets, the perfect spot for an EGT sensor. Does anyone know? Is that really ECT 1 or is it monitoring something else, like exhaust pressure or NOX levels or ???. I have Googled under several scenarios and cannot find any relative info for our generation fives.

Will_T

Reaction score
I am no expert for sure but I have watched a few videos and read some tutorials where they talk about EGT1 on a CTS3 being immediately after the turbo. So I believe that is correct. I have also seen EGT3 referred to several times as the DPF outlet temperature. I can't remember EGT2 being talked about at all so not sure where that is? These were all on models before 2020 so not sure if the new trucks are different?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Thanks. Posts 1 & 2 are supposedly accurate where they all are located.
The big question is what is the sensor in the exhaust manifold doing.

EGT1 - DOC Inlet (After Turbo)
EGT2 - DOC Outlet (DPF Filter Inlet) - Active Regen
EGT3 - DPF Filter Outlet
EGT4 - SRC Mid Band - Passive Regen
EGT5 - SRC Outlet

John Jensen

Reaction score
My unsolved dilemma.
Posts #1 & 2 say that EG1 is after the turbo. And I agree. However, I have a sensor factory mounted on the exhaust manifold between 5 & 6 outlets, the perfect spot for an EGT sensor. Does anyone know? Is that really ECT 1 or is it monitoring something else, like exhaust pressure or NOX levels or ???. I have Googled under several scenarios and cannot find any relative info for our generation fives.
I found the answer to my question today, thanks to my great Service Manager.
The sensor in question that is mounted on the exhaust manifold is an exhaust pressure sensor.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Mr. Jensen,

Thank you for all of your homework on this! I am new to diesel trucks and have been learning how to use my banks idash and had heard that "EGT" was an important parameter for diesel engines and have been wanting to keep an eye on mine. The 5 available EGT readings were a mystery before this thread!

So it seems like EGT1 is just downstream of the turbo, and upstream of the DPF... If I were to pick one of the 5 readings would this be the best overall to monitor? I've also been reading that it is wise to let the engine idle a bit before shutdown to allow the temperatures to cool down and I was thinking that this EGT1 temperature would be a good place to start.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Thanks for the kind words, appreciated.

I monitor EGT2 for active regens as it the temp at the DPF. I also monitor EGT1 & EGT4.
Letting the engine cool down is mainly to allow the VGT to cool down. Some owners do that, most do not. I have owned three diesel trucks and never have done it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread