Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins caught emissions cheating - fined 1.67 billion mega thread.

mhraxo

Reaction score
Yes exactly but someone earlier is trying to say why didn’t the doj go after that. Why would they ram recalled them on their own and weren’t hiding/defeating anything

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Here’s mine. 18.8K

Yes, it needs an underhood bath. Just finished up 3 months of hunting and back road driving yesterday…. Well, 3 months of taking my guns for nature walks.

View attachment 67142
As I’ve gotten older and the knees have gotten worse I like to take my guns for short walks and look out at the scenery.
What does the grid heaters and dipstick recall have to do with the green new deal????? Another tin foil hat conspiracy. Sometimes I’m so amazed at the time I served this country for some people to have the right to their stupid conspiracy theories
If only we got to serve our country just for the rights of those that always agree with us. Or those that don’t go for stupid conspiracy theories. Don’t remember that being in the enlistment oath I took. :cool:

rfullen280

Reaction score
Thankfully the inspection for +7500 lb trailers is now gone. Just re-upped our tags with "self inspection" declaration. It was a huge PITA hooking up and towing +14k fifth wheel 90 minutes just to take to an inspection place that understood how to accomplish the inspection. I'm positive that I do a lot more thorough inspection every time I back underneath the camper TBH. The real "gotcha is that still had to pay the county clerk the inspection fee!
So you had/have to hook up your trailer, take it to a station, to get a sticker? What if something unsafe happens on the way to the station? (highly doubt it)... And it's not like people taking the trailer for inspection take it "loaded for camping"... with the kids, dog, food, water..etc... Nor are they tired, on a rainy road, at night, in an unfamiliar place....

That's the folly of all those safety inspections.

Also, meme. Because someone made it - and I like it.

1703787678383.png

Fry

Reaction score
So you had/have to hook up your trailer, take it to a station, to get a sticker? What if something unsafe happens on the way to the station? (highly doubt it)... And it's not like people taking the trailer for inspection take it "loaded for camping"... with the kids, dog, food, water..etc... Nor are they tired, on a rainy road, at night, in an unfamiliar place....

That's the folly of all those safety inspections.

Also, meme. Because someone made it - and I like it.
But Jina! :)

rfullen280

Reaction score
As I’ve gotten older and the knees have gotten worse I like to take my guns for short walks and look out at the scenery.

If only we got to serve our country just for the rights of those that always agree with us. Or those that don’t go for stupid conspiracy theories. Don’t remember that being in the enlistment oath I took. :cool:
I still like those folks that think "all who serve are heroes!". Bull. After 24 years - I would say this:

All who serve, served.
Some of those had noble ideas/ideals.
Quite a few had selfish ideals.
You can't put on General until your ideals match up with the political machine.

I served because it was the best option that I had at the time - and it was easier to stay (Or I could lie and say "Freedom! Liberty! Rah!")... I was in the Freedom/Liberty camp until a couple years after the Patriot Act was signed sealed and delivered... and I started noticing a change the world around us...at work. Or maybe when it was the time a short TSA agent was groping me at an airport...because somehow even with my daily job, I had the same chances of smuggling contraband on a plane, just like any other person... even though I was actually getting on a contract flight from a US airport to a sandbox craphole, in a US military uniform... but ya somehow the TSA needed to be involved.

No longer were the goals aligned with objectives leading to victory...noooo... instead they were aligned with the next promotion opportunity for whomever was leading the ship.

At least 20% of the DoD is blatantly https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sycophant ... but that's not important right now.

What is coming - and I will stand firm on this position - is a 100% chance that diesel is on it's way to being outlawed in the USA. Oh, not by any specific LAW, but by regulation, order, decision, and study.

US Law - that enacted by Congress (kind of - they don't write it - they just introduce it. The schoolhouse rock "I'm just a bill" is a nice story for children. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_Just_a_Bill).
US Administrative Procedures - those rules you live by every day, that you didn't vote for, approve of, or ask for that changes the entire fabric of your existence.
and then -
Sue and Settle - where the regulatory framework is shaped by publicized court case/sue and settle that changes how people that weren't involved are allowed to live later.

Also - if you like freedom - maybe look into this: https://www.sharetrails.org/ One of the only organizations in the West fighting against the bureaucratic system hell bent on locking you down.

So, ya, stupid conspiracy theories abound. Now if they'd just stop coming true.

So - you currently have a Cummins Diesel Pickup - you have the best engine available today on the market. Seriously, there's not much that can be done within the current constraints of economics, materials, or regulation to make that engine better. Keep it. Interact with the dealership as little as possible. Unless you know how to analyze the lines of code in the software before it's programmed in yer ECU.

And, light reading - I hope she succeeds...but what are her actual goals? https://fortune.com/2023/08/16/cummins-ceo-jennifer-rumsey-women-in-engineering-career-path/

More - the FedGov is gunnin for Diesel. $100 Mil in grants each year... https://www.epa.gov/dera/learn-about-impacts-diesel-exhaust-and-diesel-emissions-reduction-act-dera

MEGA HO

Reaction score
So nearly 1,000,000 cummins trucks manufactured in the last decade are recalled. Without doing any research, I'd think RAM / Cummins sold much more than that in the last decade, so how come only "some" trucks are affected?

2500ltd

Reaction score
So nearly 1,000,000 cummins trucks manufactured in the last decade are recalled. Without doing any research, I'd think RAM / Cummins sold much more than that in the last decade, so how come only "some" trucks are affected?
Wondered that myself. Haven’t got any data either but could it be most of the pre-19 diesel but then only the HO between 2019 and 2023?

CdnHO

Reaction score
Everything is vague around this that it's more and more looking like a government shakedown of Cummins. As if they didn't pay off the right people, so now they have to pay in court.
The EPA will drive the diesel manufacturers out of business so you are forced to buy an electric truck that can only tow a 100 miles at a time. What a joke.

Riccochet

Reaction score
The EPA will drive the diesel manufacturers out of business so you are forced to buy an electric truck that can only tow a 100 miles at a time. What a joke.
Cummins, Volvo, International and CAT are the largest heavy duty diesel manufacturers. They're not going anywhere. Without them the trucking and heavy equipment industry would collapse.

This was a political stab at Cummins for not greasing the right pockets. We'll never know what this "device" is because it probably doesn't exist. If it's software then FCA/Stellantis would have known about it since their programming rides on top of what Cummins provides, which would have made them liable as well.

It just stinks of a "play ball or get wrecked" situation.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Here's a quick, interesting video about someone who went through this with the eco diesel.

Cliffs: Cash compensation to owners, extended warranty that covers TONS of engine and PCM components, and after everything was fixed -- no noticeable loss in power or MPG.

Fingers crossed!

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Here's a quick, interesting video about someone who went through this with the eco diesel.

Cliffs: Cash compensation to owners, extended warranty that covers TONS of engine and PCM components, and after everything was fixed -- no noticeable loss in power or MPG.

Fingers crossed!

We went through this with my wife's 2016 JGC and there was a noticeable decrease in power and throttle response, as well as a 20 - 22% decrease in fuel efficiency.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
We went through this with my wife's 2016 JGC and there was a noticeable decrease in power and throttle response, as well as a 20 - 22% decrease in fuel efficiency.

Yep, many would agree with you im sure. That said, the guy in the video completely disagrees. Power "feel" is purely subjective and until some puts one on a dyno pre and post, its just guys talking about feelings.

But common sense says there's a good chance these trucks won't get MORE powerful after a new flash. Lets just hope any decreases are negligible. It all depends on what was actually being done that the EPA caught.

Users who are viewing this thread