Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins caught emissions cheating - fined 1.67 billion mega thread.

Adam06

Reaction score
And mileage.
That would su$k I bought left ford for my first ram and love the way it tows. But have been upset over my asin transmission not fixed yet and now lose power that made me buy this truck! I would be done with this truck but I have over 10,000 in after market upgrades. And won’t get it back. I have never had such a bad experience in a purchase in 50 years. I thought I could retire with this truck and my toy hauler fithwheel to travel the country. The truck had 4 recalls and no fn parts to fix it. Thanks Stellantis

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have a hard time beliving this crap as RAM would have been dragged into the lawsuit too since they do the programing, they provide the emissions equipment they provide the fuel system for the engines…. All Cummins provides is the long block from my reading. You cant buy the cam, lifters, injectors, HPFP, or the ECM from cummins only from RAM as they are proprietary to RAM you cant even use the cummins Software to connect to the ECM on the RAMs…..

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

steve49

Reaction score
If they've been updating the emissions as this was all unfolding early on since 2019, my 19 had the VB6 Diesel Engine Emissons Calibration recall done in February 2020 before I bought it. If thats the recall my truck has run great and getting approximately 19-22 mpg. It's had five recalls done, with the VB6 being the only one related to emissons. The only issue I had not long ago is two short regens cycles when I changed to the OEM AB air filter, but has since corrected itself and back to normal.

Tricky

Reaction score
If they've been updating the emissions as this was all unfolding early on since 2019, my 19 had the VB6 Diesel Engine Emissons Calibration recall done in February 2020 before I bought it. If thats the recall my truck has run great and getting approximately 19-22 mpg. It's had five recalls done, with the VB6 being the only one related to emissons. The only issue I had not long ago is two short regens cycles when I changed to the OEM AB air filter, but has since corrected itself and back to normal.
This is my conclusion based on a quick search. I started digging through 2019 recalls and came across the VB6 update and it appears to align with Cummins press release. My guess is all the 2020 and later trucks already have it.

Here is the wording from the VB6 update:
The engine control software on about 91,000 of the above vehicles must be updated with an upgraded calibration as required by the US Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board for better emission performance.

steve49

Reaction score
This is my conclusion based on a quick search. I started digging through 2019 recalls and came across the VB6 update and it appears to align with Cummins press release. My guess is all the 2020 and later trucks already have it.

Here is the wording from the VB6 update:
The engine control software on about 91,000 of the above vehicles must be updated with an upgraded calibration as required by the US Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board for better emission performance.
Very well may be! I went through the EcoDiesel emisson scandel with my 2014, it ran fine beforehand and after the recall, and they refunded me $3200. Some complained of issues afterwards, but I didn't notice a difference! We'll just have to see how it plays out!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I hate you for that. ;)

My mileage has always sucked. Then again, mostly town driving or pulling. Still, best I ever get is 13-14 empty.

mountainears

Reaction score
I’ll take another nice check from Stellantis. Got one for my eco diesel grand Cherokee and drove the crap out of it with no issues before and after the recall. Looking forward to doing the same here. Would be nice to get some money back on the truck that shouldn’t have been so expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jebruns

Reaction score
I’ll take another nice check from Stellantis. Got one for my eco diesel grand Cherokee and drove the crap out of it with no issues before and after the recall. Looking forward to doing the same here. Would be nice to get some money back on the truck that shouldn’t have been so expensive.
I had a buddy that one of the outlaw VW's. He got a really nice check from VW to keep the car. I believe the other option was to let VW take it back and pay him well over book for it.

flan

Reaction score
When I got VB6 I noticed nothing different. I had about 3-4K miles in the truck at the time. It was done at the same time as the transmission valve body plate recall.

Thorvald

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see if any of the recalls that have been done on the 2019 and newer trucks was to address this issue that they already knew about which might explain all the weird DPF and DEF issues we’re having. Thankfully mileage on mine doesn’t seem to be affected With any recalls that have been done to date.

What I am waiting to find out what they actually did whether it was just software or hardware. If it was only in California, I could see that dude that states insanity.

Note: I also had a 2010 TDI Volkswagen Jetta manual transmission and miss that car. Immensely, I could get over 1100 km a tank And no DEF.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
When I got VB6 I noticed nothing different. I had about 3-4K miles in the truck at the time. It was done at the same time as the transmission valve body plate recall.
I found i had better throttle response and less tq management made the truck nicer to drive but now tuned its even better without the torque management

Users who are viewing this thread