Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins caught emissions cheating - fined 1.67 billion mega thread.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see if any of the recalls that have been done on the 2019 and newer trucks was to address this issue that they already knew about which might explain all the weird DPF and DEF issues we’re having. Thankfully mileage on mine doesn’t seem to be affected With any recalls that have been done to date.

What I am waiting to find out what they actually did whether it was just software or hardware. If it was only in California, I could see that dude that states insanity.

Note: I also had a 2010 TDI Volkswagen Jetta manual transmission and miss that car. Immensely, I could get over 1100 km a tank And no DEF.

My oldest son had a 2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI (jetta wagon) that got bought back. He made a killing but still misses that car. It was my "rental" one Christmas season for 2 weeks. It was a hoot to drive. Not especially speedy but fun to flog in the twisties.

Jay P

Reaction score
My oldest son had a 2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI (jetta wagon) that got bought back. He made a killing but still misses that car. It was my "rental" one Christmas season for 2 weeks. It was a hoot to drive. Not especially speedy but fun to flog in the twisties.
We had a 13 Jetta Sportwagon TDI with a manual trans when we moved to Colorado in 2014. It was the wifes but I drove it to work once and a while (when she would let me) and it was a blast to drive and got 45 to 50 mpg on the highway. We also made a killing turning it in to the Colorado Springs dealer. A co-worker bought a used Audi with the 2.0l TDI/manual after it had been "fixed". I got to drive it and it wasn't the same (lacked power and got poor milage for a diesel).

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
We had a 13 Jetta Sportwagon TDI with a manual trans when we moved to Colorado in 2014. It was the wifes but I drove it to work once and a while (when she would let me) and it was a blast to drive and got 45 to 50 mpg on the highway. We also made a killing turning it in to the Colorado Springs dealer. A co-worker bought a used Audi with the 2.0l TDI/manual after it had been "fixed". I got to drive it and it wasn't the same (lacked power and got poor milage for a diesel).

His was at sea level... Well, maybe 100' or so above sea Level.

VW had one of their 37 national storage lots down at Pike Peak Intl Racing complex. 200 acres full of VW's. 2017-2020

SpeyRam

Reaction score
Really freakin disappointing. Just as I’m about to trade mine in for a new 24. Trying hard to not to rush to judgment. Blahhh…

jsalbre

Reaction score
The settlement mentions 2023 trucks, so I doubt it was fixed in 2020.

Gboz

Reaction score
My 2021 2500 got an "over the air update " promt back in November, I did it, dang, I wonder if that was some derate tuning coming in

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My 2021 2500 got an "over the air update " promt back in November, I did it, dang, I wonder if that was some derate tuning coming in

To expand what @DougB said, PCM updates don't come OTA. These aren't Tesla's.

PCM updates have specific requirements like having a battery maintainer connected during the update (supposed to) and are flashed through the OBD port.

I'm still curious of their use of the term "defeat device." It could simply mean that they don't have the PCM locked out/encrypted to prevent a consumer from flashing in a tune...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
To expand what @DougB said, PCM updates don't come OTA. These aren't Tesla's.

PCM updates have specific requirements like having a battery maintainer connected during the update (supposed to) and are flashed through the OBD port.

I'm still curious of their use of the term "defeat device." It could simply mean that they don't have the PCM locked out/encrypted to prevent a consumer from flashing in a tune...
But then they would not have included the 22/23s i would imagine….

UglyViking

Reaction score
But then they would not have included the 22/23s i would imagine….
2022 the ECM got locked. This was a pretty constant annoyance in the tuning world as it was far more locked down that previous iterations.

jebruns

Reaction score
Agree. The article states 2019 trucks were recalled but that leaves 2020-up still pending it seems.
Not actually 2020-up. 24's were not included, so I'd assume they have been "fixed" already.

My 22 does not list any new emissions recalls on the Mopar owners site. Just the DPM sensor one, which has been a recall since before I ordered mine.

MtnRider

Reaction score

I'd bet it's just tuning, they probably have one of the operating modes setup to recognize the front wheels are not turning so it uses that map on the dyno as a "best case" emission mode.

Adam06

Reaction score
I'd bet it's just tuning, they probably have one of the operating modes setup to recognize the front wheels are not turning so it uses that map on the dyno as a "best case" emission mode.

Not sure but every thing I have read says the 2020-2023 had an auxiliary defeat device and are working to address those years. It states the 14-19 have already been addressed with upcoming software update recall. So there is a difference I believe there is a physical recall for the 2020-2023. And they have not figured out a route to address them

MtnRider

Reaction score
Not sure but every thing I have read says the 2020-2023 had an auxiliary defeat device and are working to address those years. It states the 14-19 have already been addressed with upcoming software update recall. So there is a difference I believe there is a physical recall for the 2020-2023. And they have not figured out a route to address them

I'd take that with a grain of salt, "reporters" that write stories don't always have the full story nor do they understand what they are writing about most of the time. They also take liberties to make the story more sensational, it sells more

I'd be shocked if there was a "device", we all have access to all the parts on the engine and I've never seen any device or part of any kind that was different then any other year. The only scenario I could see it being a device would be one of the sensors had different operating parameters perhaps? But that's a stretch

Everything these trucks do is in the ECU tuning. The ECU has the ability to use 11 operating modes that can be mapped to deferent scenarios, it would be real easy to map one like I mentioned above to alter the emission output under certain conditions and wouldn't require any device at all

Adam06

Reaction score
Then why not do the software recall as well like the 14-19

MtnRider

Reaction score
Then why not do the software recall as well like the 14-19

Who said it is not? And if not "what" part are they replacing/removing? Where are you getting this information? Again, all the "news" at this point is suspect.

They even used this language in the article..

"Cummins allegedly installed so-called "defeat devices" They also used "undisclosed" defeat devices, seems kind of ambiguous to me

And why add a "device" when all of this could be achieved in tuning without any additional cost or hardware?

Maybe I'm wrong but If I am they went a backwards a$$ way of trying to do this that's for sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread