Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cranks but won’t start - 2019 2500 Cummins

flan

Reaction score
Make them take a fuel sample and sent to a lab to be analyzed and give you a printed readout . Not to belabor the issue but I had a friend whose truck (7.3 Ford ) got a load of. bad fuel and I know for a fact that the insurance company paid for the repair . Personally 3.5 million miles of steering diesel rigs down the road and thousands and thousands of gallons of fuel I never had a motor grenade over fuel . It is extremely rare . Water is a common culprit but it doesn't blow the motor unless it gets past the filter and blows an injection tip off .
And if it were water or some other **** the wif sensor should of alerted you to that to prevent damage.

deocder

Reaction score
Just an update. I got my car insurance (USAA) involved. They took a sample from the truck while it's with the dealer. Just got off the phone with them and they are stating that they found diesel with no other contaminants. I am waiting for the test results to be emailed to me. Once I have that in hand, I can approach the dealer but at this point, I don't trust them one bit.

g00fy

Reaction score
Just an update. I got my car insurance (USAA) involved. They took a sample from the truck while it's with the dealer. Just got off the phone with them and they are stating that they found diesel with no other contaminants. I am waiting for the test results to be emailed to me. Once I have that in hand, I can approach the dealer but at this point, I don't trust them one bit.
Oh man the dealer is trying to screw you?! allow me to show you my shocked face:

giphy (1).gif

I'm glad your insurance company is going to have your back, I hope you embarrass this dealership and at the very least get them in hot water with corporate.

When this is all said and done please let the forum know what dealership it is so others can avoid them.

Edit: Just thought of something, maybe the mods can create a sticky somewhere and call it "The Dealersh*t List" and have a running list of verified shady dealerships to avoid.

Last edited:

g00fy

Reaction score
Here’s a screenshot from the report:

Any suggestions for how to approach the dealer with this?

View attachment 47430
You may want to just go straight to Stellantis corporate with that and let them sort it out... And you might want to request a free tow to a different dealership since this one is clearly playing games and you don't trust them with your truck.

g00fy

Reaction score
Now this is a good reason to blast the dealer on social media and the news….
For sure, but op should wait until his truck is fixed or they leave him no more options... Like the old saying goes, "Never insult an alligator until after you crossed the river."

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
For sure, but op should wait until his truck is fixed or they leave him no more options... Like the old saying goes, "Never insult an alligator until after you crossed the river."
I would NEVER let them do the work they are clearly not trustworthy and are likely to cause more issues or harm

g00fy

Reaction score
I would NEVER let them do the work they are clearly not trustworthy and are likely to cause more issues or harm
I agree, his best bet is to get it out of there and to a reputable dealer, but whether or not that happens is going to depend on how Stellantis wants to handle this. Either way I wouldn't start blasting that dealership until my truck was far away from the place.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I agree, his best bet is to get it out of there and to a reputable dealer, but whether or not that happens is going to depend on how Stellantis wants to handle this. Either way I wouldn't start blasting that dealership until my truck was far away from the place.
I am not disagreeing with that you never know what kind of crap a shady dealer will try

deocder

Reaction score
I contacted Ram Customer Care which felt like a useless experience. They didn't seem very interested in assisting and suggested taking the truck to another dealer. So I confronted the dealer where the truck is currently and asked for pictures of the FQS and FQS Bore that should have been taken based on the TSB's. I'm being told that everyone is off until the Monday after Thanksgiving and they would get back to me then. I anticipate this being an issue at whatever dealer I go to this coming week. However, there is only one diesel tech at the current dealer so having it towed to another dealer may speed things up.

The truck is in the greater Louisville, KY area. Any tips for finding a good dealer or is it just a case of YMMV at any dealer out there?

g00fy

Reaction score
I contacted Ram Customer Care which felt like a useless experience. They didn't seem very interested in assisting and suggested taking the truck to another dealer. So I confronted the dealer where the truck is currently and asked for pictures of the FQS and FQS Bore that should have been taken based on the TSB's. I'm being told that everyone is off until the Monday after Thanksgiving and they would get back to me then. I anticipate this being an issue at whatever dealer I go to this coming week. However, there is only one diesel tech at the current dealer so having it towed to another dealer may speed things up.

The truck is in the greater Louisville, KY area. Any tips for finding a good dealer or is it just a case of YMMV at any dealer out there?
I would start with google reviews, check the reviews on the dealership your at, then see if you can find a different dealership in the area with better reviews. Unless you get lucky and somebody on here from the area happens to chime in, I think that's gonna be your best bet for now.

deocder

Reaction score
I want to follow up with an update. After my insurance company presented their findings of non-contaminated diesel, and I requested pictures of the FQS solenoid and screen, they determined that the HPFP did in fact implode and have moved forward with the repair at no cost to me. I picked up the truck today and am reviewing the paperwork (screenshot attached).
  • It appears that they used HO injectors but I'm fairly certain that my engine is SO. The kit they used is the CSRLY782AA which has the HO injectors. Should I challenge them on this?
  • They installed a fuel pump / level unit 5145571AA which never appears in the Dealer Service Instructions so not sure what that's about
  • It says nothing about flashing the PCM so I need to verify that with them.
8 weeks later and I'm glad to have my truck back

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 11.35.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 11.35.53 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • RCRIT-21V880-5163.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
HO injectors in an SO engine may be an issue for the DPF i would ask them about it….

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Last I looked the duration tables are the same SO vs HO, which tells me the injector is the same... but maybe there is a different spray pattern for the SO piston vs the HO piston?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't realize the injectors were different, but here's all the part numbers

(singles)

Cummins:
5364205NX, 5364205PX, 5364205 (Standard Output)
5364204NX, 5364204PX, 5364204 (High Output)

Bosch ® Part #
0445124047, 0 445 124 047 (Standard Output)
0445120039, 0 445 120 039 (High Output)

Mopar:
R8504672AA, R8444791AA, 68444791AA (Standard Output)
R8504671AA, R8444790AA, 68444790AA (High Output)

NEW BOSCH 2019+ 6.7 CUMMINS STANDARD OUTPUT INJECTOR SET | 0445010874, 68444791AA , 5364205 | 2019+ 6.7 CUMMINS​

SKU: 0445124047

NEW BOSCH 2019+ 6.7 CUMMINS HIGH OUTPUT INJECTOR SET | 0445120039, 68444790AA, 5364204 | 2019+ 6.7 CUMMINS​

SKU: 0445120039

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I want to follow up with an update. After my insurance company presented their findings of non-contaminated diesel, and I requested pictures of the FQS solenoid and screen, they determined that the HPFP did in fact implode and have moved forward with the repair at no cost to me. I picked up the truck today and am reviewing the paperwork (screenshot attached).
  • It appears that they used HO injectors but I'm fairly certain that my engine is SO. The kit they used is the CSRLY782AA which has the HO injectors. Should I challenge them on this?
  • They installed a fuel pump / level unit 5145571AA which never appears in the Dealer Service Instructions so not sure what that's about
  • It says nothing about flashing the PCM so I need to verify that with them.
8 weeks later and I'm glad to have my truck back

What side of the engine is the trans dipstick?

Pass side = 68RFE/SO
Driver side = Aisin/HO

Users who are viewing this thread