Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cranks but won’t start - 2019 2500 Cummins

deocder

Reaction score
Was towing my travel trailer at about 60mph and got this message:

Exhaust System Needs Service
See dealer

Truck started to slow down and would not respond to gas pedal. Pulled over to the shoulder and truck shut off. Cranks but will not start.

Dash shows CEL and even flashed when trying restart but then goes solid. Truck sat for 4 hours with hazards on and battery dropped to 10.9v

Codes:
P203f - related to DEF. I did get a notification that I needed DEF a few days ago and so I added 2.5 gal.
P2509 - I’m guessing this is due to low voltage from the battery

Truck has been towed to the dealer but can’t be seen for 6 days due to scheduling. Any suggestions for what I may be able check before they take a look at it. I have AlfaODB also.

Attachments

• FC4A1B58-988E-4FAD-81DD-8C8D15C9E965.png
    FC4A1B58-988E-4FAD-81DD-8C8D15C9E965.png
    161.9 KB · Views: 14

flan

Reaction score
Sounds like when the CP4.2 takes out the fuel injection system. I have never heard why, as fuel system and exhaust system are not related in any way but that message always seems to pop up on the evic when the high pressure injection pump dies.

deocder

Reaction score
That was my first thought when it happened. Just thought there would be more codes related to that.

MtnRider

Reaction score
My money is on the CP4 as well. Have seen similar behavior form others that have failed.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Usually you would get open circuit injector codes aswell with a CP4 failure but it sounds like thats the issue for sure

deocder

Reaction score
Dealer came back today saying with:

“Your technician has discovered that the diesel fuel is contaminated, with what we are unsure. Your technician is requesting additional time to remove the pressure regulator to inspect for damage that could have stemmed from the contaminated fuel. The labor for that would be an additional $195.00. So far all we have bill wise are initial diagnostic ($89.99) and replacing both batteries ($507.90) then of course taxes”

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Dealer came back today saying with:

“Your technician has discovered that the diesel fuel is contaminated, with what we are unsure. Your technician is requesting additional time to remove the pressure regulator to inspect for damage that could have stemmed from the contaminated fuel. The labor for that would be an additional $195.00. So far all we have bill wise are initial diagnostic ($89.99) and replacing both batteries ($507.90) then of course taxes”
Do not pay them a dime

Riddick

Reaction score
I surely hope the dealer is not trying to deny your warranty by stating your fuel is contaminated. Did you fill up right before this happened? This is the first I have read where a dealer is reporting contaminated fuel but I have seen a few posts on here where they state your def is contaminated and the customer is responsible for repairs. I hope you have a good dealer and they are not trying to deny you warranty and take advantage of you.

Did the dealer attempt to recharge and load test your batteries? I find it odd they replaced your batteries, they were more than likely drained from multiple attempts to crank the engine and running your hazards. If that's the case recharging them would of fixed the issue.

deocder

Reaction score
Yea, I don't buy need to replace the batteries. They said they attempted to recharge the batteries and they wouldn't hold a charge.

I did hear back from the dealer again today and this is what they are saying:
The fluid that we got out of the tank is a light yellow color and would not ignite. Once I have more information, I will let you know
The contaminated fuel has contaminated most of the fuel parts on your truck - all of which would need to be replaced. The high pressure fuel pump needs to be replaced too, and we cannot replace it under the recall due to the contamination - though I did try... I'm sorry. I know this is the last thing you want to hear. I will send the quote for you to review.
To complicate the issue I am 600 miles away from the truck and leaving tomorrow for a 3-week work trip overseas.

Any suggestions on remotely getting a fuel sample from the dealer to be officially tested?

techman

Reaction score
If the dealer is hanging this issue on what is currently in your fuel tank, then start asking questions.

Is there anything you can remember about your last fill up? Was it at your normal place? I would think a tank of contaminated fuel could be traced back to the gas station and perhaps others that might also be affected.

Maybe others can chime in but who has the burden of proof here? I would think Ram would be involved if a bad tank of diesel took out an entire fuel system.

Points to the CP4 like others have said. Not sure why the dealer is making it more than that, if in fact that's what it is.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The dealer is full of it i think , but you could always go back to the fuel station you filled at if you kept your receipts…

I would get someone to go an pull a sample on your behalf and get it tested

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
They don’t cover fuel contamination under warranty unless it happened due to one of their parts failing.

Riddick

Reaction score
Yea, I don't buy need to replace the batteries. They said they attempted to recharge the batteries and they wouldn't hold a charge.

I did hear back from the dealer again today and this is what they are saying:

To complicate the issue I am 600 miles away from the truck and leaving tomorrow for a 3-week work trip overseas.

Any suggestions on remotely getting a fuel sample from the dealer to be officially tested?
Reading your posts makes me angry and it's not even my truck. I am sorry you are going through this. They are clearly trying to void your warranty and make you pay out of pocket.

You need to demand they pull a fuel sample and you need to have someone present recording them. I know your about to travel but hopefully someone can help you. Hell, if your truck is within an hour of Dayton, OH I'll do it! As others have stated I would also suggest you have a sample pulled from the gas station and ask the station to provide you documentation stating they have not received any reports of contaminated fuel..... assuming they have not.

The dealer stating the fuel would not ignite is BS, DEMAND a report of what the fuel is contaminated with. Them using a lighter out behind the dealer is a joke. Diesel is harder to ignite vs gasoline due to it being less flammable. You can throw a lit match in diesel and it will more than likely go out. They sound clueless!!

g00fy

Reaction score
giphy.gif
I smell bullsh*t from this dealer...

I think your cp4 grenaded and took out the whole fuel system and this dealer knows they've got you in a tight spot being you're 600 miles away. I bet they don't want to do the full fuel system under the cp4 recall or they want to double dip.

I'd call Stellantis right away and see what they have to say. If your truck hasn't had the recall performed yet, I can't believe that they can say "well even though these parts were supposed to be replaced under a recall , since we found "contained fuel" we're going to charge you to replace the parts that were supposed to be replaced under that recall."

Also the fact that they even bothered looking for a reason for failure outside of the fact that the parts are being recalled for random catastrophic failure is a red flag to me.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I would add you should consider contacting your insurance company. They will often cover if it's truly contaminated fuel and subrogate the fuel supplier. Key here is that you have receipts.

Sent from my work avoidance device using Tapatalk

flan

Reaction score
If you mention insurance company the dealer may have a change of heart as the matter may get investigated too?

Nick

Reaction score
Make them take a fuel sample and sent to a lab to be analyzed and give you a printed readout . Not to belabor the issue but I had a friend whose truck (7.3 Ford ) got a load of. bad fuel and I know for a fact that the insurance company paid for the repair . Personally 3.5 million miles of steering diesel rigs down the road and thousands and thousands of gallons of fuel I never had a motor grenade over fuel . It is extremely rare . Water is a common culprit but it doesn't blow the motor unless it gets past the filter and blows an injection tip off .

Users who are viewing this thread