Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
So they are first checking to see if a programmer had been added at some point? That is what the duty cycle monitor would lead me to think.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I could be confusing that with on-off cycles which is what was looked at years ago to detect the more programmers (like a Smarty)

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I was just going to reply that was a member that posted that!.

4so92g.jpg

So they are first checking to see if a programmer had been added at some point? That is what the duty cycle monitor would lead me to think.

Also take note of the long extension time into May, and the check for "external" contamination. Like DEF traces around fuel inlet? Or does glitter in the FCA count? The email is someone at Cummins too. The evidence is mounting that Cummins is not happy with this and is probably doing some back door "I told you so!" right now.

Driving an asym around is like being involved in a murder mystery house. You're trying to figure out "who dunnit" and are involved in the juicy plot, but might end up with the knife in your back in the next chapter. :D

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score

Maybe not duty cycle on the traditional emissions related readiness, and if a different tune has been put on, but related to the pump and pressure. From an old thread on another forum:

I understand the ECM gets it's signal from the rail sensor/CPS and adjusts the FCA acordingly by opening and closing it (Duty Cycle) by sending different values of voltages to it.

I believe the FCA (not them), is the fuel control actuator and the part they pull off to inspect for glitter.

Ostracize

Reaction score
Almost certain "duty cycle" in this context is the injector duty cycle, as I don't believe there is a pump log function for the pump itself. So if you know what the injectors were demanding vs time delta then by extension have a better understanding of relative pump load leading up to failure.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
And likely to see if the readings are outside the parameters of stock programming?

Cummins3

Reaction score

mra400ex

Reaction score
How dare they all-cap my complaint and make me seem like a yelling boomer. I put that on there a few days ago and they already approved and posted it.

I would get to writing, Gents.
Hello, Did not mean to offend anyone. Like yourself I copy and pasted so you people could contact the NHTSA and voice their concerns. All the posts and complaining on this site and others but people need to voice their concerns to the NHTSA if we are to get a recall and replacement CP3. Thanks for your write up about this.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Hello, Did not mean to offend anyone. Like yourself I copy and pasted so you people could contact the NHTSA and voice their concerns. All the posts and complaining on this site and others but people need to voice their concerns to the NHTSA if we are to get a recall and replacement CP3. Thanks for your write up about this.
Where on NHTSA do you go to read complaints on that site as I can't seem to find it. I want to read some so I can send in my 2 cents after having 2 cp4 pump replacements and 63 days out of service and they won't buy it back under lemon law.

mra400ex

Reaction score
Where on NHTSA do you go to read complaints on that site as I can't seem to find it. I want to read some so I can send in my 2 cents after having 2 cp4 pump replacements and 63 days out of service and they won't buy it back under lemon law.
www.nhtsa.gov On the top right you can click on "report a problem" and enter your VIN along with a write up of the problem. WE all need to do this,

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know where to post updates anymore. Is this only 21 CP3 talk now? This is the most watched thread, is a sticky, and only exists because the CP4 is trash. Nobody is posting threads like "2021 lugnut thread pitch changed!".

I can't keep up anymore. It's like trying to wrangle what size tire/wheel fits my truck threads. Futile cat herding.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
There's an ongoing class action against FCA for mid 201x 3.0 EcoDiesel CP4s filed by the same firm and mirroring the cases brought against Ford and GM. Texas southern court district case 2:19-cv-00023

Berry et al v. Fca Us LLC

Lots of motions to dismiss by FCA...etc. Last court date update is Nov. 19 (found on a different site, no documents though).

I read through a lot of the documents that I could find. The plaintiffs use all the usual info, forum posts, you name it. It will be interesting to see if they use the 19+ HD example of revised then completely changed pumps. The argument mentions how the durable CP3 was used on early Ecos and that FCA went to CP4 for bean counting. Now with the HDs, history has repeated itself but with a reversion BACK to the CP3.x . Not a good look.

Suffice to say, I really don't see FCA doing anything now. They are already fighting it in courts and drawing the problem out. Changing to the CP3.x for future builds is one thing, but if they reverted all the HD trucks then they would probably risk losing that class action. I don't think they are particularly worried about the 4-5 plaintiffs but rather the punitive damages that have been requested to be levied.

Get comfortable with your glitter bombs boys and girls.

Last edited:

Erwin136

Reaction score
I just had someone tell me they called FCA and was told if the CP4 pump fails outside of the 36k/3year warranty for bumper to bumper it is not warrantied if they don’t deny the claim in the first case for “CoNtAmInAtEd FuEl” or whatever they come up with is this true can anyone confirm it seems to make sense since it isn’t part of the engine aspect of thing but then again I’m a first time buyer anyone have any advice

mra400ex

Reaction score
I just had someone tell me they called FCA and was told if the CP4 pump fails outside of the 36k/3year warranty for bumper to bumper it is not warrantied if they don’t deny the claim in the first case for “CoNtAmInAtEd FuEl” or whatever they come up with is this true can anyone confirm it seems to make sense since it isn’t part of the engine aspect of thing but then again I’m a first time buyer anyone have any advice
I will say that is not true, but who knows. I don't see Cummins allowing this CP4 fiasco to continue for very long. If by some extereme case they say 36.000 miles or 36 months and fuel pump is not warrantied for failure I will be getting the CP3 conversion.

mostcorey95

Reaction score
I will say that is not true, but who knows. I don't see Cummins allowing this CP4 fiasco to continue for very long. If by some extereme case they say 36.000 miles or 36 months and fuel pump is not warrantied for failure I will be getting the CP3 conversion.

If you look in the warranty section of the manual. On page 8 it’s about Cummins warranty. IMG_3404.png

rsday75

Reaction score
Well, finally a bit of goodish news.
The dealer I bought my truck from as a demo (read used) with 6000 miles does their own "Certified" used vehicles for some of the very low mileage ones. More a marketing thing than much with a 125 point inspection and such......
But, I looked through the "Lifetime Powertrain" warranty brochure.....that is a part of this "Certified Used" thing......it lists for diesel engines a separate section....as well as turbo charged section......
It lists injection pump, lines, and injectors/nozzles.......as well as turbo actuator......
So, I emailed them to verify the CP4 and the actuator are indeed covered.....and they are!!!
So, the things I was most concerned about are covered for "Lifetime".......or 20 years/250,000 miles.....gotta read that fine print.
I just have to be able to show proof of maintenance as listed in the owners manual.....easily done.....

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hello everyone, we would like to relay the latest update to you here regarding your concerns with the CP4 pump. There is currently a service solution in progress for all 2019- 2020MY vehicles equipped with CP4 high pressure pump. Further updates will be announced here as soon as more information becomes available. In the meantime, please know that our team remains available to assist in resolving serviceable vehicle concerns via private messages. Thank you,

Kathryn
RamCares

g00fy

Reaction score
Hello everyone, we would like to relay the latest update to you here regarding your concerns with the CP4 pump. There is currently a service solution in progress for all 2019- 2020MY vehicles equipped with CP4 high pressure pump. Further updates will be announced here as soon as more information becomes available. In the meantime, please know that our team remains available to assist in resolving serviceable vehicle concerns via private messages. Thank you,

Kathryn
RamCares
Good to hear, thank you Kathryn, we look forward to the next update.

Users who are viewing this thread