Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

patmo

Reaction score
Hello everyone, we would like to relay the latest update to you here regarding your concerns with the CP4 pump. There is currently a service solution in progress for all 2019- 2020MY vehicles equipped with CP4 high pressure pump. Further updates will be announced here as soon as more information becomes available. In the meantime, please know that our team remains available to assist in resolving serviceable vehicle concerns via private messages. Thank you,

Kathryn
RamCares
Hope for Canadian customers

99ls1tj

Reaction score
Thank you for publicly addressing our concerns. This is a big step.

To the others:

Not sure what this entails with regards to whether we get a TSB/Recall to update Asyms to Syms, a CP3.x, or just a TSB stating they are aware of a problem and will wait for it to fail and cover it, or even extended coverage concerning this issue. However, a response and acknowledgement is very welcome. As stated once before, be ready to scream it from the rooftops if FCA comes through and takes care of us. That will go a long way in solidifying this brand over the others and the reasons to keep purchasing products.
I'm betting it will be an extended warranty, sort of like they did with the pentastar heads. That would not excite me. I hope I'm wrong and it's something more.

Gadgetguru

Reaction score
Hello everyone, we would like to relay the latest update to you here regarding your concerns with the CP4 pump. There is currently a service solution in progress for all 2019- 2020MY vehicles equipped with CP4 high pressure pump. Further updates will be announced here as soon as more information becomes available. In the meantime, please know that our team remains available to assist in resolving serviceable vehicle concerns via private messages. Thank you,

Kathryn
RamCares
Awesome, thank you.

Interesting to see what they come up with. I'm sure it won't be a CP3 replacement like we all want. After having 15 Ford vehicles, this is my first non-Ford and I'm hoping I didn't make a huge $81,000 mistake. I'm loving the truck so I want it to work out.

JEI-CAN

Reaction score
I believe and hope it will be cp3 replacement, or other possibility is somekind of disaster prevention kit + extended warranty on pumps. It has to be, because if not, it can be only warranty thing.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Thank You Kathryn @ RamCares
My first car @ 16 was a '65 Chrysler that my Grandfather bought new. I currently own a Wrangler JK along with my '19 Ram CTD. The '19 Ram is my tenth Mopar in 31 years on the road! I'm happy to see some acknowledgement and hopeful our relationship continues for many years to come!
I'm on my 23rd mopar in 20 years.

9 CTDs, 3 1500s, 4 jeeps, 4 darts, 3 durangos.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
I'll be renewing my Good Sam's towing package.
I had a 2013 RAM water pump go out on a trip and found out Goodsam is not what they appear to be. They would tow the truck, but not the 5th wheel... After paying 17 years to find that out the hard way....Managed to move it with the truck to a RV park 1/2 mile away, then truck towed to shop.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
Thank You Kathryn @ RamCares
My first car @ 16 was a '65 Chrysler that my Grandfather bought new. I currently own a Wrangler JK along with my '19 Ram CTD. The '19 Ram is my tenth Mopar in 31 years on the road! I'm happy to see some acknowledgement and hopeful our relationship continues for many years to come!
I'm on my 8th Dodge-RAM Cummins since 1998 and would welcome FCA to step up and do the right thing. Great news to see RAM is keeping us in mind, as most brands would say oh well and no communication at all.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
I believe and hope it will be cp3 replacement, or other possibility is somekind of disaster prevention kit + extended warranty on pumps. It has to be, because if not, it can be only warranty thing.
Extending the warranty or anything less then a CP3 still puts the $$$ball in their court and a expensive one I'm told. Their cost has to be 5-7K even after paying cost on labor. Pump, lines, injectors,labor to replace ALL THE FUEL LINES, has got to be killing them. A new CP3 would be the cheapest way out. I'm told less then 2K and 3-5 hour change out time.

Madmax

Reaction score
Former Duramax owner here and this is my first RAM (2019). I love the truck. I purchased it over a Ford (couldn't take the looks of the GM products) solely based on the reliability of the Cummins. I am thrilled to see a possible fix for this, and so far have been impressed that they have come up with a real solution to the A/C issue, the bed step, and hopefully now this. As you can see from the responses to this thread it does make a difference when companies take care of their customers. Thank you again FCA and keep the hits coming! p.s. and make the fix a CP3.

mra400ex

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you.

Interesting to see what they come up with. I'm sure it won't be a CP3 replacement like we all want. After having 15 Ford vehicles, this is my first non-Ford and I'm hoping I didn't make a huge $81,000 mistake. I'm loving the truck so I want it to work out.
I know how you feel. Drove Ford trucks for years but really like my 2020 HO DRW but want this pump problem to be taken care of and not be stranded somewhere.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Extending the warranty or anything less then a CP3 still puts the $$$ball in their court and a expensive one I'm told. Their cost has to be 5-7K even after paying cost on labor. Pump, lines, injectors,labor to replace ALL THE FUEL LINES, has got to be killing them. A new CP3 would be the cheapest way out. I'm told less then 2K and 3-5 hour change out time.

I also read that there is a shared warranty cost between Cummins and FCA. It was a contributing factor combined with reputational damage that led Cummins to demand a change. We'll never know for sure what spurred it.

Beyond labor/parts there is NO WAY this hasn't hurt sales or put a black eye on the brands. A few units not sold among the hundreds of thousand? No biggie, but in the business world bad press is something they want to avoid. Just this last year the 2020 model had TV commercials and FB ads running on "the most loyal HD truck buyers". Look at the lengths they go through in marketing with durability talk. Especially in this segment of vehicles. They are marketed as tough, capable, and long lasting above ALL else.

I'm surprised the automotive media hasn't jumped on this harder. Even if there is a low incident percentage, it has a VERY HIGH impact in the enthusiast community. Everyday people that just needed a capable truck now have heard the name "CP4". The percentage of L5P owners that have heard the name "HP4" is likely far lower. Take me, for instance. I was a diehard GM lifer. Before this truck I bought a new 06, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 2020 model GM vehicle. I didn't do good enough research on this truck but if I saw all this CP4 stuff before pulling the trigger I'd have an L5P, as god awful ugly and more expensive as it is, sitting in the driveway. Rona availability and the Cummins legend mixed with the new interior got this GM sycophant to sway, but it got lucky because I let my research guard down for whatever reason haha. :D Right after I bought it I convinced my equally Ford lifer friend and instead of a Super Duty he ended up with a 2020 Cummins too.

Let's also be honest here too in recognizing that Ford and Chevy (GM) have loyalists and brand supporters that carry the flag all the way back to the 60's and prior in a much larger percentage. On the streets, Ford and Chevy (GM) buyers buy their HD diesels because they are Ford or Chevy (GM). Ram buyers buy their diesels because they are Cummins. Without the Cummins and it's legend (mostly based around durability), the Ram/MOPAR fanbois by themselves couldn't carry this pickup. Sales would plummet.

More of my ever devaluating $0.02c

Last edited:

exiledinaz

Reaction score
I also read that there is a shared warranty cost between Cummins and FCA. It was a contributing factor combined with reputational damage that led Cummins to demand a change. We'll never know for sure what spurred it.

Beyond labor/parts there is NO WAY this hasn't hurt sales or put a black eye on the brands. A few units not sold among the hundreds of thousand? No biggie, but in the business world bad press is something they want to avoid. Just this last year the 2020 model had TV commercials and FB ads running on "the most loyal HD truck buyers". Look at the lengths they go through in marketing with durability talk. Especially in this segment of vehicles. They are marketed as tough, capable, and long lasting above ALL else.

I'm surprised the automotive media hasn't jumped on this harder. Even if there is a low incident percentage, it has a VERY HIGH impact in the enthusiast community. Everyday people that just needed a capable truck now have heard the name "CP4". The percentage of L5P owners that have heard the name "HP4" is likely far lower. Take me, for instance. I was a diehard GM lifer. Before this truck I bought a new 06, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 2020 model GM vehicle. I didn't do good enough research on this truck but if I saw all this CP4 stuff before pulling the trigger I'd have an L5P, as god awful ugly and more expensive as it is, sitting in the driveway. Rona availability and the Cummins legend mixed with the new interior got this GM sycophant to sway, but it got lucky because I let my research guard down for whatever reason haha. :D Right after I bought it I convinced my equally Ford lifer friend and instead of a Super Duty he ended up with a 2020 Cummins too.

Let's also be honest here too in recognizing that Ford and Chevy (GM) have loyalists and brand supporters that carry the flag all the way back to the 60's and prior in a much larger percentage. On the streets, Ford and Chevy (GM) buyers buy their HD diesels because they are Ford or Chevy (GM). Ram buyers buy their diesels because they are Cummins. Without the Cummins and it's legend (mostly based around durability), the Ram/MOPAR fanbois by themselves couldn't carry this pickup. Sales would plummet.

Had I known about the CP4 before I traded my perfectly good 16 RAM in, I would still have a 16. For what it is worth, i sent a email to CUMMINS asking if/when the CP4 goes out, will they cover it under the 100K clock or deny it as rumors abound about FCA denying claims on the CP4 for "contaminated fuel". CUMMINS replied they do not "warranty " the engine to Chrysler. Chrysler is responsible for the warranty. They said no more....I always thought CUMMINS warrantied the motor.
I will be beyond elated if FCA does a recall and changes out the CP4. Not holding my breath, but don't want to wait till the CP4 explodes and destroys the entire fuel system. I will advise my daughter that the 2021's are safe to buy. I told her not to buy until the issue was fixed.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Call me skeptical but I would be shocked if they actually replaced all the CP4's. My guess would be some other band-aid or extended warranty. I mean look at the drag link fiasco where they just welded the adjustment. You think they are going to drop big $ to replace CP4's when they won't replace a $100 drag link?
I get that if they fail it's big $ to fix but I think in the big picture the numbers of failures are still pretty small.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
They are spending 7 labor hours and parts on an A/C fix for poor HVAC performance. At least if that isn't blowing ice cold it's just annoying. An engine stall and major fuel system build is much more major. Probably requires much less labor hours and maybe even parts to put a CP3.x on than the A/C TSB.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
Call me skeptical but I would be shocked if they actually replaced all the CP4's. My guess would be some other band-aid or extended warranty. I mean look at the drag link fiasco where they just welded the adjustment. You think they are going to drop big $ to replace CP4's when they won't replace a $100 drag link?
I get that if they fail it's big $ to fix but I think in the big picture the numbers of failures are still pretty small.

You do got a point. However, it is clearly in the warranty that "fuel systems" are covered for 100K. Thats a long time to wait for the bomb to go off and fork out 10K..

99ls1tj

Reaction score
They are spending 7 labor hours and parts on an A/C fix for poor HVAC performance. At least if that isn't blowing ice cold it's just annoying. An engine stall and major fuel system build is much more major. Probably requires much less labor hours and maybe even parts to put a CP3.x on than the A/C TSB.
Good point, but you also have to consider that the A/C is not performing up to standard. That can be proven with a temperature probe. They pretty much have to fix that. Technically there is nothing wrong with the CP4 until it fails.

RV_Goose

Reaction score

I specifically bought the RAM because of the Cummins. I like gas Chevy 1500s like the '82, '85 and 98. All had over 160k+ reliable miles on them. But towing an RV now, I wanted the Cummins.

Users who are viewing this thread