Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

Nfryan

Reaction score
No ours just quit running on interstate 65 had a little hiccup and than died
Thanks for the info. Hopefully there is a resolution prior to summer. Not looking forward to towing the camper and being stranded somewhere. I just got mine back a few weeks ago for the upgraded cab mounts TSB to fix the C-Pillar rattle which is still there. More fun to look forward to.. Thanks

exiledinaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Hopefully there is a resolution prior to summer. Not looking forward to towing the camper and being stranded somewhere. I just got mine back a few weeks ago for the upgraded cab mounts TSB to fix the C-Pillar rattle which is still there. More fun to look forward to.. Thanks
I had a "vacation" break down while back with the 40 ft 5th wheel in tow, and it destroyed the whole trip. Goodsam changed their towing policy within one phone call. Do not want to endure that mess with a CP4 going down. It was only a "water pump" but wrecked the 2 week vacation.

Millmutt

Reaction score
I had a "vacation" break down while back with the 40 ft 5th wheel in tow, and it destroyed the whole trip. Goodsam changed their towing policy within one phone call. Do not want to endure that mess with a CP4 going down. It was only a "water pump" but wrecked the 2 week vacation.
Sorry about your water pump but a injection pump change isn't going to prevent another water pump failure. I see a lot of Fords driving down the road with CP4 pumps. I'm not concerned,
I'm just enjoying my 2020 Ram, CP4 pump and all

D

Deleted member 80

Ford has CP4 issues, too. Tow Piglet recently gave an update on his Ford(Enterprise Rental)that coughed up a CP4, and was down for approx 3 months waiting for parts.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Sorry about your water pump but a injection pump change isn't going to prevent another water pump failure. I see a lot of Fords driving down the road with CP4 pumps. I'm not concerned,
Your 100 % percent correct. With that said, does it need a fix hell yes big time but your chances are more in your favor than not.
We should not have to worry about a known problem FCA needs to fix this big time.

Millmutt

Reaction score
Ford has CP4 issues, too. Tow Piglet recently gave an update on his Ford(Enterprise Rental)that coughed up a CP4, and was down for approx 3 months waiting for parts.
But they still use the CP4. The down time sounds like a supply chain issue which is everywhere

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I’d be curious on the pump conversion that is OEM. I’d buy it possibly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macmov

Reaction score
So for those that haven’t bought yet, get the 2021. The 2021 (verified just a little while ago) has the CP3. So no need to deal with a recall etc.

[MOD EDIT:
Any complaints or rants about the CP4 may be messaged in one of the other three or four threads along those same lines or the following thread:
PLEASE stick to the technical, TSB, and/or recall aspects of this issue.
This is not directed at the OP, it is intended for those new to the thread]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I certainly would rather have the cp3, never an issue with my 2016 or 2008 rams. But I am on my third round with the cp4 on my '19. Yes went down twice. I run commercially pulling a 40' hotshot with the updated cp4. Knock on wood, no problems so far, 20,000 miles on pump.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
we are having the that issue right now and the dealer is telling us it will be 3 Months to fix because parts are NOT available. and the is how we make a living. TRUCK HAS LESS THAN 20,00 MILE. WE NEED HELP!!!!!
Hi @sissy32179, please send our team a private message with your VIN. We are more than willing to get a case escalated on your behalf to offer additional assistance throughout your dealer service. Thank you,

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
How's the 'ol "service solution" shaking out one month down the road?

If y'all need any suggestions, open the hood of a 2021. There's a top notch service solution in there. You're welcome.

Always good to ask, but bear in mind the A/C fix TSB came 60 days after the first @RamCares mention of a forthcoming fix.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Ford does have CP4 issues, but the RAM version of the pump is using a 6mm pump (Ford/GM used 8mm I believe) and was overdriven 50%. I believe both those items lead to it being worse than the Ford/GM pump failures.

Nfryan

Reaction score
Always good to ask, but bear in mind the A/C fix TSB came 60 days after the first @RamCares mention of a forthcoming fix.
When was this released? Also do you have the tsb number. I’m going to need this done as well. For a 70k truck they are sure stacking up.

LossPrev

Reaction score
Ford does have CP4 issues, but the RAM version of the pump is using a 6mm pump (Ford/GM used 8mm I believe) and was overdriven 50%. I believe both those items lead to it being worse than the Ford/GM pump failures.
That's the first I heard a difference, thanks! I have been wondering why the Ford forum is incredibly focused on death wobble and they barely seem to care about the cp4 compared to this forum. If they're both using identical pumps I couldn't understand why such a difference in reaction, especially after 8ish years on the powerstroke

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
When was this released? Also do you have the tsb number. I’m going to need this done as well. For a 70k truck they are sure stacking up.
A/C fix? It's in the TSB section.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
My point was breaking down with a 40ft 5th wheel was no fun. Not looking forward to it if it happens again. The water pump was another "cheapo" part someone used to save $2 per vehicle I would imagine. The "recall" took care of it. CP4 is another blunder that i wonder if it was made for weight or cost savings. Either way, I love the truck, just don't care for some of the components having a history of failures.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hi @Nfryan, please see below for the TSB associated with your air conditioning concern. Please send over a PM if you would like additional support throughout your dealer service.

1612965345145.png

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Newto5thGen

Reaction score
That's the first I heard a difference, thanks! I have been wondering why the Ford forum is incredibly focused on death wobble and they barely seem to care about the cp4 compared to this forum. If they're both using identical pumps I couldn't understand why such a difference in reaction, especially after 8ish years on the powerstroke
The ram pump is around 10k less bar output than the capability of the pump. Why would it need to be overdriven?

UglyViking

Reaction score
The ram pump is around 10k less bar output than the capability of the pump. Why would it need to be overdriven?
I didn't design the pump so I can't speak to any of that. I only know that the RAM CP4 is 50% overdriven vs the Ford/GM pump and it's a smaller size pump (6mm vs 8mm I believe). I do know that the higher RPM of the RAM pump is likely the key cause of it's failure. High RPM equals a lot of heat, then you take the fact that numerous items could make it so the pump has air/water in it and it's game over.

Users who are viewing this thread