Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Changes - to large dimple symmetrical cam version

• Thread starter Deleted member 80
  • Start date

mostcorey95

Reaction score
I don't have the large dimple that you mention. And I misspoke, 8 small ones, not 7.

View attachment 6984

That would be the old style pump. The just released a new style pump that has a new cam in it and no one knows if it will be better. From what my understanding is it’s similar to the can ford is using in theirs and they don’t see as many failures just the pump wears out over time like the cp3 would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mostcorey95

Reaction score
I've got the 2 dimple with a January 20 build date. Like the guys say, it's probably just batch differences, hopefully not actual product differences in each batch, that would make for a lot of different scenarios of product description

Yes it’s just a way to track what assembly line it went down and what line it was out on at FCA there are no differences at all with the pumps just away to trace them if they started seeing a lot of one batch be bad but otherwise there is no difference same parts are used nothing is different.

John Jensen

Reaction score
That would be the old style pump. The just released a new style pump that has a new cam in it and no one knows if it will be better. From what my understanding is it’s similar to the can ford is using in theirs and they don’t see as many failures just the pump wears out over time like the cp3 would.

Bummer! Or, maybe not if the new one is unknown or somewhat known in Fords and maybe doing better.
What a crap shoot.
Then again I shouldn't worry. At my 2-3000 miles a year usage, I'll be long gone before a CP4 failure.
:cool:

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I assume most of the trucks currently on the lots would have the older style pump without the upper dot. Unfortunately, I doubt they see it as enough of a problem to retrofit those on the lot. I will look if I am looking at a truck on the lot though.

mostcorey95

Reaction score
I assume most of the trucks currently on the lots would have the older style pump without the upper dot. Unfortunately, I doubt they see it as enough of a problem to retrofit those on the lot. I will look if I am looking at a truck on the lot though.

It started going it sometime in August so look at build dates of 8/2020 and look at the pump. As of 9/1/2020 they all have the updated pump.

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Bummer! Or, maybe not if the new one is unknown or somewhat known in Fords and maybe doing better.
What a crap shoot.
Then again I shouldn't worry. At my 2-3000 miles a year usage, I'll be long gone before a CP4 failure.
:cool:

It’s a pretty ****ty crap shoot to be in if you ask me. The biggest problem will still be water in the fuel. Do you do maintenance yearly or by mileage?

John Jensen

Reaction score
It’s a pretty ****ty crap shoot to be in if you ask me. The biggest problem will still be water in the fuel. Do you do maintenance yearly or by mileage?
I maintain on a yearly basis. Neither of my two trucks or my Jeep exceeds 5000 miles a year. In fact, two years ago my rock crawling Jeep was zero miles.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I maintain on a yearly basis. Neither of my two trucks or my Jeep exceeds 5000 miles a year. In fact, two years ago my rock crawling Jeep was zero miles.
Not to panic but I've read some articles that some of the cp4 failures have also happened at any early millage marker. Doesn't seem to matter what the millage. If we get some iffy fuel, it can really do some damage quick

John Jensen

Reaction score
Not to panic but I've read some articles that some of the cp4 failures have also happened at any early millage marker. Doesn't seem to matter what the millage. If we get some iffy fuel, it can really do some damage quick
Yeah, I've read that too. Seems like there's no pattern other than poor lubricity fuel, contaminated fuel, or water contamination. That's why I always have and always will use additives as preventative maintenance

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've read that too. Seems like there's no pattern other than poor lubricity fuel, contaminated fuel, or water contamination. That's why I always have and always will use additives as preventative maintenance
Same here. I'm just going to switch from the crappy howes to the hot shot to get maximum lubricity

mostcorey95

Reaction score
I checked my pump and Yayyyyy! it has a single dimple. :cool:
That is if I ignore the other 3.

Yes you want the dimple that’s higher up and the low dimples don’t matter it’s just what line and what batch it is from like I have stated before.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Is this the Hot Shots you are switching to? I read the other thread and was getting confused.

Hot Shots EDT
Yup I'm going to switch to the hot shot. I'm waiting for them to get back with me and tell me if the lx4 wich increases lubricity by up to 56% is the same as the edt with lx4 in the ingredients, I'm assuming not the same percentage but I'm waiting to find out as I don't want the multi vitamin with a little bit of everything in it, I want the one with the most lubricity. So we dont get in trouble by the thread police (lol :p ), we should probably keep it on the other thread for the sake of argumentation. ;):cool:

carlrx7

Reaction score
This is for the Cab & Chassis w/ Cummins engine. I posted it because it details the pump identification marks.

5 Associated Documents

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just thought I would add some clarity if needed. This is the way I interpret the current state.

There is no current CP4 pump recall. The W57 recall is for software tuning (warmup protection changes) on the C&C trucks only. These trucks run a different tune than SO or HO pickup engines. That W57 recall also includes the tech instructions for using the correct flash depending on which style pump is installed.

Users who are viewing this thread