Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Console shifter swap

ramrod88

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone with a 2019+ hemi hd has done a swap to the trx console type shifter from the dash rotary knob?

flan

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone with a 2019+ hemi hd has done a swap to the trx console type shifter from the dash rotary knob?
Is the trx electronic like the HD’s? Could be doable if so...

ramrod88

Reaction score
From my understanding it uses the same trans as the gas hd's. The pics I've seen of used consoles, the shifter only has wiring going to it.

Arth

Reaction score
Back when the 09-13 1500s used a center console shifter it was a known swap some would do to their HDs. Difference from then to now is it was a physical cable linkage.

Considering the TRX and the 1500s/2500s with the Hemi all use an electronic shifter I would guess that swap is 90% physical parts with the 10% guess work being the wiring up to the shifter.

I'd say it could be done fairly easily but costly. Jimmy may have some insight to the wiring.

ClawSS

Reaction score
What are you going to do about the knob to nuttin'? Gonna make the launch control work too?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
This has kind of been on my radar, and I might fiddle with it if I come across one from a wreck. I don’t have high hopes of it working in an HD, if anything, MAYBE just the gear selection would work, but definitely not the sport mode for auto stick.
As far as I can tell, it should fit in the HD center console, since the top half of the console shares parts with the 1500. Should be able to just swap in the electronic 4x4 cluster from a Cummins ram to eliminate the rotary shifter.

Arth

Reaction score
This has kind of been on my radar, and I might fiddle with it if I come across one from a wreck. I don’t have high hopes of it working in an HD, if anything, MAYBE just the gear selection would work, but definitely not the sport mode for auto stick.
As far as I can tell, it should fit in the HD center console, since the top half of the console shares parts with the 1500. Should be able to just swap in the electronic 4x4 cluster from a Cummins ram to eliminate the rotary shifter.
I think that would be the main goal for most. Shifter and 4x4 Cummins switch.

ramrod88

Reaction score
Yup I agree, I would be ok without the sport mode feature. I honestly wish they gave the gas trucks a column shifter like the cummins still has.

Users who are viewing this thread