Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colorado snowmageddon 21

1651Naismith

Reaction score
Yeah. Winds have kicked up here. Pretty steady 30-40 mph. Just ran the snowblower. Had 36” drifts in some places, bare driveway in others.
Need to take kids to their swim meet now and really glad I’m driving a 2008 HD vs a new 2021. LOL

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Wow. You guys have fun up there. It will be in the 80s here in the Houston, TX area tomorrow. Overcast and 74 right now.

Nd79

Reaction score
Yeah. Winds have kicked up here. Pretty steady 30-40 mph. Just ran the snowblower. Had 36” drifts in some places, bare driveway in others.
Need to take kids to their swim meet now and really glad I’m driving a 2008 HD vs a new 2021. LOL
Haha yeah, same reason I keep my older truck to not risk driving the newer cars on snow days.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Worked late last night (thanks to lazy network guys/screwed up network) until 0300 (clocks forward) and there was maybe 2" on the ground.

Woke up at 1030 to howling and 12" or so.

Not sure I want to go out and blow snow, but considering it because the wife is on call (labor nurse). If I do, it will be with goggles and full face cover.

One year it was blowing so hard I wore my full face snowmobile helmet. Neighbors thought I was nuts but my face was nice and toasty and I could see clearly no matter the blowing snow. I may just do that again if it doesn't let up.

Nd79

Reaction score
Worked late last night (thanks to lazy network guys/screwed up network) until 0300 (clocks forward) and there was maybe 2" on the ground.

Woke up at 1030 to howling and 12" or so.

Not sure I want to go out and blow snow, but considering it because the wife is on call (labor nurse). If I do, it will be with goggles and full face cover.

One year it was blowing so hard I wore my full face snowmobile helmet. Neighbors thought I was nuts but my face was nice and toasty and I could see clearly no matter the blowing snow. I may just do that again if it doesn't let up.
I just made my first attempt at clearing some snow and wore my ski goggles... I wouldn't think you were crazy at all haha. Especially with the way it is blowing around right now, plastering everything in sight.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
First 4" or so of the snow was like concrete. At the street, it was slushcrete and I couldn't get down to pavement.

I had to dig my way to the blower.

20210314_173343 (Large).jpg

Had to dig out the blower.

20210314_173820 (Large).jpg

20210314_183402 (Large).jpg

20210314_183340 (Large).jpg

The tailpipe was nearly closed up.

20210314_183332 (Large).jpg

Snow in the bed was up to the rails.

20210314_191021.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Wife's idiot office manager wouldn't close so she had to go in. Woke me up after too little sleep to tell me to watch the grandson who's on spring break and daycare is closed just like everything else.

I told her she would only wreck her car and never make it into the street.

The Falken tires performed great. I busted down the 2+ feet of snow compressed to about 18" and then blew out what I could. I decided even if I got her car out into the street, she wouldn't make it out of the subdivision. Two blocks up is an emergency route that's always kept clear enough to travel. There was an SUV blocking the exact damn middle of the road and tracks going around off the road. The plows had snow piled 4' high off the main road except for a spot with foot deep ruts someone blasted through. She never would have made it even in her Subaru (sedan).

Sure enough, as we approach the hospital, she gets a text the office is closed. :mad: I dropped her anyway at her demand and headed home. Approaching the subdivision, there's a monster loader moving snow around the stuck SUV so I turn in the other entrance a block up and see the county has started plowing (we're surround by Town of Parker on 3 sides but in unincorporated Douglas County). Our services here are much better than the town or any HOA provide.

Helped some neighbors clear out their aprons. The grandson helped too but knocked down more snow than he put up.

20210315_103605.jpg

P.S. not only does the A/C suck in these trucks, but the driver side defrost sucks too.

20210314_230452 Copy.jpg

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I was victim of the poor defrost a few wks ago driving back from durango to austin. it was 3 degrees with wind chill down in the negative teens. sleety snow coming down. I had it on full hot defrost and that little frozen area kept creeping down. fortunately it held just below the wiper line.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I was victim of the poor defrost a few wks ago driving back from durango to austin. it was 3 degrees with wind chill down in the negative teens. sleety snow coming down. I had it on full hot defrost and that little frozen area kept creeping down. fortunately it held just below the wiper line.

Funny, it was about this time last year, maybe a week later, after getting my shiny new truck that we had a deep freeze/storm and I noticed the windshield icing up and couldn't get it to clear.

Glad I got this pic to show the dealer as just one more reason there's a TSB for the HVAC system in the pre 8/2020 built '19-20 trucks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Funny, it was about this time last year, maybe a week later, after getting my shiny new truck that we had a deep freeze/storm and I noticed the windshield icing up and couldn't get it to clear.

Glad I got this pic to show the dealer as just one more reason there's a TSB for the HVAC system in the pre 8/2020 built '19-20 trucks.
i have no issue with the defrost but im still trying for the tsb

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Haha yeah, same reason I keep my older truck to not risk driving the newer cars on snow days.

I drove my 03 A6 Saturday for the same reason. That's my "beater" unless it's too deep for the amazing Quattro Torsen diff system running dedicated snows. Over around 8" and the car tends to hang and plow snow.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I wish I could have worked out a way to keep my 04.5 but it was $20K asset just sitting that I didn't want to plate, insure, and not drive much. It also needed a lot of work, big part of the reason I bought a new truck.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I just made my first attempt at clearing some snow and wore my ski goggles... I wouldn't think you were crazy at all haha. Especially with the way it is blowing around right now, plastering everything in sight.

My Oakley "ATV" goggles were pretty useless and fogged/froze right up.

Nd79

Reaction score
My Oakley "ATV" goggles were pretty useless and fogged/froze right up.
Ah, yeah.... I took my ATV riding goggles up skiing when I was teaching my now wife how to snowboard and letting her use mine. They were useless, and I ended up not wearing any that day. Never made that mistake again lol.

Nd79

Reaction score
I drove my 03 A6 Saturday for the same reason. That's my "beater" unless it's too deep for the amazing Quattro Torsen diff system running dedicated snows. Over around 8" and the car tends to hang and plow snow.
I wish I could have worked out a way to keep my 04.5 but it was $20K asset just sitting that I didn't want to plate, insure, and not drive much. It also needed a lot of work, big part of the reason I bought a new truck.
Yeah winter "beaters" are definitely nice to have. That sounds like a pretty nice "beater" haha!

I totally get it, if my old truck was worth close to 20k I would have got rid of it a long time ago. In reality it's probably only worth 3grand tops. But it has literally never got stuck, even when I pull a bone headed move, costs me $80 a year to plate, and makes no difference on our insurance. It's definitely true that not every truck is like that. Every time I think of getting rid of it I can never justify it lol. It also helps it is in need of nothing and always runs fine.

Nd79

Reaction score
i have no issue with the defrost but im still trying for the tsb
I'll have to keep an eye out on how my defrost works when my '21 arrives

Users who are viewing this thread