Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold air intake systems

Reaction score
Considering a cold air intake system by BS.
Doing so will the factory warrantly be VOIDED ?

woody284

Reaction score
Someone with better knowledge will chime in but for what I understand no one thing will void your warranty. A lot of time it depends on your service writer. With that being said the service writer has to prove or say whatever none factory change/part or component you added caused the problem. So say you have a problem with your radio. Obviously your new air intake wouldn’t cause that so it would still be under warranty. On the flip side if you have an engine failure could they somehow blame the air intake and say that voided your warranty, maybe!! Depends on how your service writer deals with it.

Reaction score
Their a number of pro's, & con's to consider !
Having seen videos of installed cold air intake systems on power wagons appears to give the engine more power with less trottle, also boosted sound that impresses me!
The second sentence of your reply SPEAKS VOLUMES !

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I put a CAI into my 2016 2500 and while it did increase the sound a little, I didn't notice any other improvements. Granted, by the time I put it in, I already had a lift, was running 37s, replaced exhaust, etc... so all of that could have had an impact.

That said, with my 2020, I will not be spending money on a CAI.

But specific to the warranty, what @woody284 summarized above is correct. The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act does give us protection for those items that you do not modify. Unfortunately though, there is a lot of gray area to maneuver when you're looking at what the air intake could potentially get blamed for.

Reaction score
Appreciate your comment!
AT LEAST YOU IN THE US. HAVE THIS CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT.
Here in CANADA WE DON'T ! !

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
No need to shout. Your posts never mentioned you were in Canada, you don't have your location visible, and don't have it in your signature.

I don't have any first-hand information, just have heard from quite a few Canadians back in my FJ days, but what I recall is that there are similar provisions within the Consumer Protection Act, but that each province has a slightly different take on what all is protected. That said, if I were in your shoes, I am doubly certain that I wouldn't be adding a CAI.

Reaction score
No need to shout. Your posts never mentioned you were in Canada, you don't have your location visible, and don't have it in your signature.

I don't have any first-hand information, just have heard from quite a few Canadians back in my FJ days, but what I recall is that there are similar provisions within the Consumer Protection Act, but that each province has a slightly different take on what all is protected. That said, if I were in your shoes, I am doubly certain that I wouldn't be adding a CAI.
That said CANADA DOES NOT HAVE A NATIONAL ACT AS SUCH, BUT EACH PROVINCE HAS SOME SOME FORM OF LEGISTRATION WEAK OR STRONG DEPENDING ON WHICH PROVINCE OR TERRITORY LOCATION.

Reaction score
Don’t waste your money, you’re not going to get much better flow and cold air than what the factory gave you and you will definitely get less filtration.
Decided against doing so.
On further research little gain over factory ! Not worth cost!

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
The only thing these intakes give on either platform is increased noise (sound) from the removal of Hemholtz style resonators put there by OEM to reduce NVH. Under stock tuning that engine isn't close to being able to max out the airflow potential of a stock intake setup. Beyond that, many aftermarket intakes just turn out to be HAIs (hot air intakes) exposing the filter to the engine bay heat or using metal heat soaking box material. IATs suffer as well as performance as the engine pulls back timing to prevent detonation.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The only thing these intakes give on either platform is increased noise (sound) from the removal of Hemholtz style resonators put there by OEM to reduce NVH. Under stock tuning that engine isn't close to being able to max out the airflow potential of a stock intake setup. Beyond that, many aftermarket intakes just turn out to be HAIs (hot air intakes) exposing the filter to the engine bay heat or using metal heat soaking box material. IATs suffer as well as performance as the engine pulls back timing to prevent detonation.
You forgot to mention decreased filtration

DJ Underwood

Reaction score

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Instead of a full CAI has anyone here found a good aftermarket air filter for the 6.7L? I have used K&N, Airaid, and Jegs house brand in the past. I had heard from some Mopar Muscle groups that Mopar actually makes some performance filters and CAI's for the 6.4L? Not sure if it fits the truck same as the Challenger/Charger.

Nick

Reaction score
Personally 14 Hp and 23 lbs of torque will be hardly felt .

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
14hp at 5500 rpm sheesh I’ve not had my truck wound up that much often enough where I would even notice it.

the torque bump at lower rpm might save you a downshift here and there

buy one and report back !

D

Deleted member 80

While I don't disagree with everyone here, I noticed K&N just released their CAI for the new gen Ram 6.4L and claiming an increase of
14.94hp @ 5495rpm
21.34lbft @ 2503rpm
Dyno'd to the wheels... which to me is a decent number, thoughts? You know before I "waste" my money on one?

All that, and the dirt stopping ability of a window screen.

Users who are viewing this thread