Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cargo camera adding after the fact 2019 ram 2500

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I was thinking go buy this camera and 3D print the body

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
You can’t use that camera. It’s the digital camera for rear view, so the only digital input on the radio is already being used. You would use 4672735AD. The hardest part is going to be sourcing the connector parts for the factory analog camera.

kristof

Reaction score
Maybe I will contact the company i bought my screen from if they have the camera with light for sale

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Maybe I will contact the company i bought my screen from if they have the camera with light for sale

Give it a try. The CHMSL with camera is probably one of the most sought after parts (along with the 12” radio module), and people watch car-part religiously for it. Even when they do pop up, the junkyards know what they have, and still get $500+ for it.
I believe there’s some aftermarket assembly options, too.

Darkone

Reaction score
Jimmy do you know does the new digital rear view mirror have its own separate camera apart from the cargo camera?

Darkone

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking, but wasn’t 100% sure. I am waiting to see a HD with both. It does make me wonder if there will be 3 different CHMSL with camera options for HD now. 1 with just cargo cam, 1 with just rear view, and 1 camera that will have both rear view and cargo.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking, but wasn’t 100% sure. I am waiting to see a HD with both. It does make me wonder if there will be 3 different CHMSL with camera options for HD now. 1 with just cargo cam, 1 with just rear view, and 1 camera that will have both rear view and cargo.
Going by the online build configuration tool (which has been wrong before), the digital rear view mirror can only be optioned on trucks that have surround view, which automatically come with the cargo camera. That would mean there is no CHMSL with only the camera for the mirror. There would be 3 different CHMSL with camera part numbers, though:
1) The CHMSL with cargo camera for trucks not equipped with surround view.
2) The CHMSL with cargo camera for trucks with surround view- because the camera is digital, and bigger, with a different camera housing than non-surround view trucks
3) The CHMSL with cargo camera and digital rear view mirror camera for trucks equipped with surround view
We have also determined on the DT trucks that the digital rear view mirror and it’s CHMSL can be retrofitted in 2019-2020 trucks easily with no BCM settings changes (assuming you already have an auto dim mirror). The mirror plugs right into the same connector as the existing mirror, and is connected to the camera with a single fakra coax cable. It should be the same situation for the HDs.

Darkone

Reaction score
That makes sense. I had been looking at the 21 ram brochure which showed the digital rear view mirror as part of the safety group, that doesn’t mention the surround view. Also I’ve been looking at window stickers of different 21s, and it’s listing the safety group as an option then also the cargo camera as a separate stand alone option.
I had read through the thread of 5thgenrams about adding the camera, which is what peaked my interest on possibly adding it to my 21 when it comes. Although, I may wait for a few to get out there as the prices will be way overpriced. As for now I’m just doing some research on it, and seeing if it will be possible to add with me only ordering the standard cargo camera option

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Okay so I'm sitting here at work sipping on my coffee and thinking. So can I just buy a camera with angle adjustment and glue it to this area:
View attachment 9227
Or purchase that camera from amazon https://www.amazon.com/NATIKA-Backup-Camera-Waterproof-Reverse/dp/B07H852D49 and lets say drill a hole in the center of my currently installed third brake light and mount it there?
The only issue with sticking one to that area is getting the cable into the cab sealed. Someone installed one right into the brake light, but the angle wasn’t downward enough. Here’s a kit I found for the existing CHMSL- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Echomaster...kup-Camera-for-13-19-RAM-Trucks-/254100273563
I bet they’d take ~$150 for best offer.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I ran across a couple of other options while researching the delete plate to hopefully prevent issues interfering with my shell.

Last edited:

kristof

Reaction score
I ran across a couple of other options while researching the delete plate to hopefully prevent issues interfering with my shell.
On both options you posted it says it won't fit my truck :(

kristof

Reaction score
Forgot to ask. No matter what option I decided to go with to install the cargo camera I will have to run wiring to center panel? Or there is a connector in the back somewhere?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
On both options you posted it says it won't fit my truck :(
They’ll fit. 2019+ HD Rams use the exact same CHMSL/cab as 2009-2018 Rams
Forgot to ask. No matter what option I decided to go with to install the cargo camera I will have to run wiring to center panel? Or there is a connector in the back somewhere?
You’ll have to run the camera signal and return all the way to the radio, and you’ll have to grab ign power and ground somewhere. There’ll be no connector there.

kristof

Reaction score
If I ever decide I want cargo and front camera can I add video switch and turn on cargo camera on my screen and then just flip a switch to choose which one I would like to see?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
If I ever decide I want cargo and front camera can I add video switch and turn on cargo camera on my screen and then just flip a switch to choose which one I would like to see?
Yes

kristof

Reaction score
They’ll fit. 2019+ HD Rams use the exact same CHMSL/cab as 2009-2018 Rams

You’ll have to run the camera signal and return all the way to the radio, and you’ll have to grab ign power and ground somewhere. There’ll be no connector there.
So they actually make different wiring harness for each model?

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
That makes sense. I had been looking at the 21 ram brochure which showed the digital rear view mirror as part of the safety group, that doesn’t mention the surround view. Also I’ve been looking at window stickers of different 21s, and it’s listing the safety group as an option then also the cargo camera as a separate stand alone option.
I had read through the thread of 5thgenrams about adding the camera, which is what peaked my interest on possibly adding it to my 21 when it comes. Although, I may wait for a few to get out there as the prices will be way overpriced. As for now I’m just doing some research on it, and seeing if it will be possible to add with me only ordering the standard cargo camera option

The cargo camera is part of the Towing Technology Group also as well as the rest of the 360 cameras.

I wouldn't buy a RAM HD without that group. 110% worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread