Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cargo camera adding after the fact 2019 ram 2500

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Has anyone found or know of any info if there is a way to add the cargo camera to the 2019+ rams i know the 4th gens it could be rigged up i would like to add it to my truck for hooking up the goosenecks

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have the 8.4 without nav in my 2019 tradesman i have the trailer camera and the backup camera but i want to see if i can add the cargo camera.... if not i will buy the trailer camera and make a mount to have it mounted on my back rack

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Yes, you can easily add the factory CHMSL with cargo camera. You’ll need a custom harness built to add the missing wires/connector that are not present on your truck, and you will need AlfaOBD to turn the feature on.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yes, you can easily add the factory CHMSL with cargo camera. You’ll need a custom harness built to add the missing wires/connector that are not present on your truck, and you will need AlfaOBD to turn the feature on.
Where did you get this info and have you done it succesfully? I dont want to buy the parts and make the harness without knowing it will work

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Is there just a dealer code that can be added to the vin instead of buying the alfaobd and the swg bypass

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Where did you get this info and have you done it succesfully? I dont want to buy the parts and make the harness without knowing it will work
I’ve done this on multiple 2013-2019 Rams, including my 2017. The process is exactly the same for 2019+ Rams.
Is there just a dealer code that can be added to the vin instead of buying the alfaobd and the swg bypass
The sales code is LPD. I highly doubt that it is available to add for your VIN. Before you waste a visit at the dealer (which they will charge you for whether it works or not), call the service advisor, and ask them to look up your VIN to see if LPD is in the list of sales codes that can be added to your build configuration.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I’ve done this on multiple 2013-2019 Rams, including my 2017. The process is exactly the same for 2019+ Rams.

The sales code is LPD. I highly doubt that it is available to add for your VIN. Before you waste a visit at the dealer (which they will charge you for whether it works or not), call the service advisor, and ask them to look up your VIN to see if LPD is in the list of sales codes that can be added to your build configuration.
What would i need for the harness any specific connectors needed?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

I dont see why the LPD cant be added to my vin when i bought my truck i was looking at 2 identical trucks the only difference was the other tradesman had the cargo camera and no trailer camera and was a shortbox so it should be able to add to my vin

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I dont see why the LPD cant be added to my vin when i bought my truck i was looking at 2 identical trucks the only difference was the other tradesman had the cargo camera and no trailer camera and was a shortbox so it should be able to add to my vin
That doesn’t matter. It only matters what FCA allows to be available for your truck’s VIN. Years ago, maybe, but they have severely cracked down on what sales codes they allow after the fact. Basically, they only allow the sales codes for options that they have “kits” for, which would be something like remote start. Trust me when I say check with a service advisor first before assuming it can be added.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
What would i need for the harness any specific connectors needed?
CHMSL camera connector outer housing- Yazaki 7289-0064

CHMSL camera connector inner body- Yazaki 7129-5503

CHMSL camera connector terminals (6)- Yazaki 7115-2482-02

Radio connector terminals for the three video circuits (3)- TE Connectivity 638551-2

1/4” ring terminal for ground

CtNR2NW.jpg

The run/relay control and Lin bus wires are spliced into those circuits (which are also used by other features) on a CHMSL camera factory equipped body harness, so that’s what you would do with those two camera connector wires. Or, you can get fancy and build them into a removable pass-through T-harness for one of the in-line connectors that carries those circuits. That way you’re not molesting any factory wiring. The factory location for the ground ring is the ground stud/bolt near the ignition switch under the dash, but any location will do.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Kaodtech has a harness for the CHMSL camera install, but they are currently out of stock.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Kaodtech has a harness for the CHMSL camera install, but they are currently out of stock.
I think he is only going to continue building the bypass and the media hub harness, and that particular harness he offered for the 4th gens is slightly different. The Yazaki parts are going to be impossible to find without having to buy a bunch of them. I can put OP in touch with kaodtech’s partner Mpgrimm2, and he can probably build it for him. I have no desire to accumulate the Yazaki parts for this particular harness.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I have the 8.4 without nav in my 2019 tradesman i have the trailer camera and the backup camera but i want to see if i can add the cargo camera.... if not i will buy the trailer camera and make a mount to have it mounted on my back rack
I completely missed this post and realized something- without the surround view system, the cargo camera and the aux trailer camera both use the same analog camera inputs on the radio. That means you can only have one or the other configured for your truck, but not both.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I completely missed this post and realized something- without the surround view system, the cargo camera and the aux trailer camera both use the same analog camera inputs on the radio. That means you can only have one or the other configured for your truck, but not both.
Hmmm bummer but i wonder if i could use the trailer camera wiring and tap in to it for the chmsl camera? I know the 4th gens you could use a switch to change feeds between the chmsl and the tailgate camera instead of lockpicking the deck? Any input if i would be able to do that?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Hmmm bummer but i wonder if i could use the trailer camera wiring and tap in to it for the chmsl camera? I know the 4th gens you could use a switch to change feeds between the chmsl and the tailgate camera instead of lockpicking the deck? Any input if i would be able to do that?
Yes, if you’re fully prepped for the trailer camera, you can tap into those wires with the CHMSL, and put a simple video switcher between the two cameras. Does your truck already have sales code XFQ (now THAT’S an example of a sales code that can be added to any VIN)? In other words, does your radio show the soft key for AUX trailer camera?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yes, if you’re fully prepped for the trailer camera, you can tap into those wires with the CHMSL, and put a simple video switcher between the two cameras. Does your truck already have sales code XFQ (now THAT’S an example of a sales code that can be added to any VIN)? In other words, does your radio show the soft key for AUX trailer camera?
I have the trailer camera package the aux trailer input and the 12 pin at the rear bumper. I guess i will have to get dome schematics and see what wires i will need to tap

kristof

Reaction score
What's the part number for cargo camera?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
What's the part number for cargo camera?

68412027AB
Be prepared for sticker shock. This is probably the most ignorantly priced part on the truck for what it is.

kristof

Reaction score
Cheese and crackers ! Are they serious? Can I use aftermarket camera?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Yes, you can use any aftermarket camera. Someone did try fabricating one into the regular CHMSL, but couldn’t quite get the right downward angle.

Users who are viewing this thread