Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed step safety recall - W24 - W26 - W44

AndyS

Reaction score
So my question is; I had ordered the OEM step and installed myself as the truck did not come with one. How does the recall work on that?

JinwA

Reaction score
Today's the day the recall is supposed to start. Any news?
Local dealer said they do not have parts. As far as them removing a pre-existing step. They will not remove it. They are only removing ones prior to sale.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Local dealer said they do not have parts. As far as them removing a pre-existing step. They will not remove it. They are only removing ones prior to sale.
I'm one of those that had ordered the bed utility group but the bed step was going to hold up shipping so I opted out of that piece. I'm just waiting for the parts to come in so I can have it installed at the dealership.

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
The dealer removed my step during the delivery phase and provided a letter about removal and recall. I haven't heard anything since.

JinwA

Reaction score
I'm one of those that had ordered the bed utility group but the bed step was going to hold up shipping so I opted out of that piece. I'm just waiting for the parts to come in so I can have it installed at the dealership.
And that is the part that sucks. You order complete packages so it’s included in your financing. When they can’t deliver then it’s cash out to buy parts and usually I would rather do this myself than pay you How Much! End result...usually some answer from a rep who doesn’t have one..Time goes by, parts are now available, trust has departed and I end up doing it myself. After 35+ years working on things that fly, float, crawl and roll across the ground I am tired of those kinds of projects. Okay Got my rant out. But I am sure you get my point.

Last edited:

JinwA

Reaction score
And that is the part that sucks. You order complete packages so it’s included in your financing. When they can’t deliver then it’s cash out to buy parts and usually I would rather do this myself than pay you How Much! End result...usually some answer from a rep who doesn’t have one..Time goes by, parts are now available, trust has departed and I end up doing it myself. After 35+ years working on things that fly, float, crawl and roll across the ground I am tired of those kinds of projects. Okay Got my rant out. But I am sure you get my point.
If you cannot tell I just discovered the Amp Research retracting step kit is a mess for my truck. There is not one electrical illustration that looks like what’s in front of me. They might as well of showed pics of a Chevy. (They look like an earlier gen)I will get it done but for $1500 I expected more. It was originally ordered with the truck as a “ package” Cancelled at time of sale. I feel your pain. Whew caught myself almost said something to get me banned.

Last edited:

PGHChris81

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has had one break yet while using it? I have one because the truck on the lot (didn't order one) had the Bed Utility Group on it, and I use it quite frequently getting in and out. I don't jump around on it and I am not heavyset so I will take my chances. I was just curious if anyone has had one actually break yet, or if this is just being cautious.

JinwA

Reaction score
I knew of 2 that had. Read earlier post’s on page 3. I think I will only do the PC response once.
Okay you got me. It is very much like the experience I had maintaining heavy equipment. An excavator to be exact. The seat assembly was rated for 300lbs. After replacing it for an operator that was considerably beyond that for the third time, In the final response to his demand that a fix had to be found.......The only answer was “ It’s called A SALAD”

Last edited:

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Huh, right after I said that I got an email from my dealer that parts were available! Crazy!
Any details you can share regarding parts, i.e., does your dealership have the parts to fix your recall? I was on the phone with RAM Cares, they didn't offer much other than calling the dealership.

TDRamOH

Reaction score
I received my recall notice from FCA yesterday, and I purchased mine online at moparpartsinc.com. From the notice:

FCA US records indicate that you may have purchased a Mopar bed step kit for your 2500/3500 vehicle. Some Mopar bed step kits (part# 82215842AC / 82215842AD) sold in calendar years 2019 and 2020 may fail in certain angular or side-load conditions...

In the "how do I resolve this issue" section it states that the remedy for this condition is currently unavailable. It then claims that they will contact me with a follow-up recall notice when it is available. The interesting thing is that it says when I receive that notice I can contact the dealer to schedule a service appointment. So, even though I installed it they make it sound like the dealer will fix it.

I hope it plays out this way.

ahhhr

Reaction score
Could one of you guys with the Amp step check a measurement for me.
I know the the Mopar step interferes with my camper bracket but the AMP looks like it might fit. The mopar step would hit the camper bracket when going back into storage position.

The camper bracket is 6.5 inchs away from the bumper bracket (first pic) and the bar that extends to the fender is 9 inches back from the bottom of the bumper. We may have different bumpers so the second measure may not be the same.

Does your AMP have that clearance ? It looks like I would have to make an adjustment for the "stabilizer arm" as it would use the same bolt as the camper bracket.

IMG_4379.jpgIMG_8928.jpg
Looking from under truck toward drivers side
IMG_2277.jpg
Install instructions for AMP

Attachments

• IS-75324.pdf
    988.3 KB · Views: 4

JinwA

Reaction score
I received my recall notice from FCA yesterday, and I purchased mine online at moparpartsinc.com. From the notice:

FCA US records indicate that you may have purchased a Mopar bed step kit for your 2500/3500 vehicle. Some Mopar bed step kits (part# 82215842AC / 82215842AD) sold in calendar years 2019 and 2020 may fail in certain angular or side-load conditions...

In the "how do I resolve this issue" section it states that the remedy for this condition is currently unavailable. It then claims that they will contact me with a follow-up recall notice when it is available. The interesting thing is that it says when I receive that notice I can contact the dealer to schedule a service appointment. So, even though I installed it they make it sound like the dealer will fix it.

If it is a Genuine Mopar part than its covered under FCA liability. They should do the mod for you at no charge because parts and labor are covered by FCA safety recall funding not your local dealer.
I find it funny you received a letter having purchased it online separately. I have not received a letter and it was on the factory build order.

Last edited:

TDRamOH

Reaction score
If it is a Genuine Mopar part than its covered under FCA liability. They should do the mod for you at no charge because parts and labor are covered by FCA safety recall funding not your local dealer.
I find it funny you received a letter having purchased it online separately. I have not received a letter and it was on the factory build order.
That's interesting that you didn't get one. I was NOT expecting one since it was a separate purchase, and not from my dealer. I don't know if moparpartsgiant.com is an actual dealer selling parts online, but whatever the case the purchase must have been registered with FCA somehow.

JinwA

Reaction score
That's interesting that you didn't get one. I was NOT expecting one since it was a separate purchase, and not from my dealer. I don't know if moparpartsgiant.com is an actual dealer selling parts online, but whatever the case the purchase must have been registered with FCA somehow.
A lot of your online Mopar parts sites are dealers. I usually use one that is out of New York even though I am in WA. Often times half the price compared to walking up to the parts counter at the local dealer.

AndyS

Reaction score
So my question is; I had ordered the OEM step and installed myself as the truck did not come with one. How does the recall work on that?
So the answer is....Received recall notice in the mail today. It says "The remedy for this condition is not currently available". They are still finalizing the remedy and will send notification when the fix is available.

BillnLA

Reaction score

TDRamOH, I received the same letter today also. I purchased the step online from a Mopar dealer and installed myself. Hopefully this will get resolved fairly soon.

Users who are viewing this thread