Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed step safety recall - W24 - W26 - W44

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
Could one of you guys with the Amp step check a measurement for me.
I know the the Mopar step interferes with my camper bracket but the AMP looks like it might fit. The mopar step would hit the camper bracket when going back into storage position.

The camper bracket is 6.5 inchs away from the bumper bracket (first pic) and the bar that extends to the fender is 9 inches back from the bottom of the bumper. We may have different bumpers so the second measure may not be the same.

Does your AMP have that clearance ? It looks like I would have to make an adjustment for the "stabilizer arm" as it would use the same bolt as the camper bracket.

View attachment 4935View attachment 4936
Looking from under truck toward drivers side
View attachment 4937
Install instructions for AMP

Hey, ahhhr.

Per your request, here are some images of the AMP Bed Step (75324-01A for 2019's) on my 2019 2500 Mega Cab Limited.

I did my best to mirror your images and provided a couple of additional shots for context.

I think the AMP may be a little too long at 7.5"-8 from the drivers side, looking in and about 10" under the truck looking out. But, please look carefully as there are some differences in our setups.

If you need anything else, feel free to reach out.

Regards,
TXSportDiver

Attachments

• Bed Step1.jpg
    Bed Step1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Bed Step2.jpg
    Bed Step2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Bed Step3.jpg
    Bed Step3.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Bed Step4.jpg
    Bed Step4.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Bed Step5.jpg
    Bed Step5.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Bed Step6.jpg
    Bed Step6.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 39

ahhhr

Reaction score
Hey, ahhhr.

Per your request, here are some images of the AMP Bed Step (75324-01A for 2019's) on my 2019 2500 Mega Cab Limited.

I did my best to mirror your images and provided a couple of additional shots for context.

I think the AMP may be a little too long at 7.5"-8 from the drivers side, looking in and about 10" under the truck looking out. But, please look carefully as there are some differences in our setups.

If you need anything else, feel free to reach out.

Regards,
TXSportDiver

Thats great. Better pictures than i took.
I think the differences are mainly due to 2500 vs 3500.

The Amp takes more space in the retracted position than i hoped. But less than the mopar.

I think the Mopar is going to work better for me - but still have to cut and weld the camper bracket.

Really appreciate the pictures - thanks.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
Thats great. Better pictures than i took.
I think the differences are mainly due to 2500 vs 3500.

The Amp takes more space in the retracted position than i hoped. But less than the mopar.

I think the Mopar is going to work better for me - but still have to cut and weld the camper bracket.

Really appreciate the pictures - thanks.
You're welcome. I'm glad you've got the skills to modify your brackets, to make it work for you. Best of luck.

For what it's worth, I much prefer the look of the Mopar step (had a similar one on my 2019 1500). I bought my 2500 a few weeks ago. If the Mopar step wasn't unavailable, due to the recall, I'd have bought one.

But, now that I own an AMP, I can say the AMP has a couple of things going for it.
1. It's available now!
2. The step platform is about twice the size of the Mopar. This allows for less precision stepping on the way down.
3. The action is much lighter and smoother than the the Mopar. It's more of a glide than a bear trap.
4. The AMP is a little less expensive, at $260.

The AMPs step.surface.lioks very close to the the ridges on the factory bumper. However, as others have noted, the AMP''s closed angle, relative to the bumper is a little off.

ahhhr

Reaction score
Maybe one more question.
when mounted, the mopar step is about 14" from where it attaches to the bumper mount to the furthest forward point.
Are you able to get an approximate measurement on the AMP ? From your pic it looks like maybe 10" but pic can be deceiving.

And yes - a l;arger step might save my butt one day.

IMG_6615.jpg

ahhhr

Reaction score
Didnt do it on purpose but you can see how thin that support bracket is in the picute

lovegolf44

Reaction score
My dealership told me the part is still on back order and won't be available until Aug 17th. No idea where they got that date.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
Maybe one more question.
when mounted, the mopar step is about 14" from where it attaches to the bumper mount to the furthest forward point.
Are you able to get an approximate measurement on the AMP ? From your pic it looks like maybe 10" but pic can be deceiving.

And yes - a l;arger step might save my butt one day.

View attachment 4979
My angle was a little off on the picture, but, yes, when the AMP is stored, it's about 10" from where it mounts to the bumper to the back of the bed step (towards the front of the truck).

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Submitted to the dealer earlier this week for VB6 and a few other issues. Wondered if they'd flag me self-installed step. Nope. Not a peep. I'll hit em up later when they get their crap sorted out re this recall.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Rec'd this today. FCA is perusing dealer purchase records for those of us that purchased the step after the fact. Still no fix as of yet.

W26.jpg

@JC

Reaction score
Took mine in for its first service and the Uconnect flash the other day. Asked if they had a fix for the bed step recall yet and was told not yet. They didn't even suggest removing my step and were happy to send me on my way.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I've received more than one text from the dealer for this. It's not going to happen until they have parts.

jakalafus

Reaction score
But why is my recall gone? I even checked the Mopar web site and app. Was there last week with the VB6.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score

Hawk375

Reaction score
Was it W24 or W44? Feel free to send me your VINs in a PM and we can take a look.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Mine was W24

Looks like the recall has returned and is now listed as W54 to be 3500 specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

litzdog911

Reaction score
Mine shows that Recall #W44 was "Completed" on 4/2/20. I guess that just means they "completed" it by removing the bed step.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
W24 (NHTSA# 20V-207) Recall still showing on the MOPAR app...
'Incomplete but repair parts are not available'

Users who are viewing this thread