Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed step safety recall - W24 - W26 - W44

litzdog911

Reaction score
I bought a new, 2019 RAM 2500 Mega Cab this weekend without the bed step. So, I'm looking for a bed step and I'm partial to the Mopar, integrated stop styl. I've found several part numbers (82215842AC, ...AD, ...AE) for the Mopar bed step. But, with the recall, I'm reluctant to buy them. Can RamCares (or anyone else) confirm the post-recall part number for the bed step and whether it is or is not currently available? Thanks

It's not yet available. You won't be able to get the old one through a Ram dealer. I just got my new 2020 2500 yesterday and they had to remove my bed step pending availability of the redesigned step.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Yeah, I checked with a few resellers and they all said they can't sell it even if they had them in stock. So gotta wait for the revised version.

JinwA

Reaction score
You might be able to buy from a dissatisfied customer. The issue is not the actual step. It’s the cheesy flange they mounted to and the equally cheesy support bracket.

Last edited:

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
You might be able to buy from a dissatisfied customer. The issue is not the actual step. It’s the cheesy flange they mounted to and the equally cheesy support bracket.
The cheesy flange is apparently fine. The genuinely cheesy bracket (brace), however, is not.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. I get it. The "support" brackets are very much bad. The photo in Burn'n Oils post makes that abundantly clear. But, the parts didn't magically disappear from the planet. Googling 82215842AC, ..AD, AE etc. yields lots of results for purchase. Of course, no one wants to fall off their truck bed...just sayin'...the parts are out there.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
Correction. The parts were "out there". They do indeed look very hard to come by at this point.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I hope these steps come in soon, my dealership failed to give me the price reduction from the Bed Utility Group even though my window sticker indicated such. I spaced when we signed the paperwork and didn't make sure we got the difference back. When the step does come in, I'll expect them to take that amount off the install price.

Also, anyone get a coupon from FCA towards the purchase/installation of this thing when it comes in? I was told I was getting one but never received anything.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I hope these steps come in soon, my dealership failed to give me the price reduction from the Bed Utility Group even though my window sticker indicated such. I spaced when we signed the paperwork and didn't make sure we got the difference back. When the step does come in, I'll expect them to take that amount off the install price.

Also, anyone get a coupon from FCA towards the purchase/installation of this thing when it comes in? I was told I was getting one but never received anything.
Never, never, take the dealers word for anything! Always, get it in writing!

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score

You'll get a second letter in the mail saying you can come in and get the steps added at no charge to you.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

lovegolf44

Reaction score
You'll get a second letter in the mail saying you can come in and get the steps added at no charge to you.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
That's good to know, thank you Kaitlin. FYI, I never got the first letter, only a verbal from the dealership.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
That's good to know, thank you Kaitlin. FYI, I never got the first letter, only a verbal from the dealership.

PM me your VIN, I can check your address and make sure everything is fine.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram cares I added this step myself and bought online from a dealer. Will I and everyone else that has purchased and installed themselves get this recall or new part when available?? And how will dealers or FCA know??

Mhelvic

Reaction score
Had my truck in for the Rambox fix and the camera recall. Did not instruct them to perform the bed step recall, but they listed on my warranty worksheet invoice that they did perform the bed step recall as well. Bed step is still on the truck. When looking at it I don’t see any new brackets. The main support bracket that was on the truck when purchased had a small scratch on it and that scratch is still there. Maybe they replaced a bracket or part that I don’t see.

Mhelvic

Reaction score
I suspect that this is the "support brace" in question. It's a pretty flimsy piece...

View attachment 3777

Dealership paperwork indicated they performed this recall on my truck. Bed step is still on the truck. The main support brace was not changed. I’ll check the bed step again to see if the brace you identified in the diagram as the possible culprit has been changed or looks like a new install.

myersd1

Reaction score
Buy the AMP Research step. Similar cost and very heavy duty. Tread is virtually the same as the factory bumper top. It's rated at 300 lbs and I guess anyone over that probably ins't climbing up one of these.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Ram cares I added this step myself and bought online from a dealer. Will I and everyone else that has purchased and installed themselves get this recall or new part when available?? And how will dealers or FCA know??

Yes, there is an equipment recall under number W26 that will cover owners who purchased it afterwards. This won't be VIN specific. Our internal team has taken a look at people who purchased through dealers and gathered their info. They will be sent a letter as well.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ok we'll see about that. I bought mine from eBay from a dodge dealer let's see if FCA gets this correct.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok we'll see about that. I bought mine from eBay from a dodge dealer let's see if FCA gets this correct.

Good luck.

I bought a 2009 steering setup from a dealer on ebay for my 04.5, paid a local shop to install it, and tried twice to get Dodge to reimburse me for repairs made to a recall item without success.

Mhelvic

Reaction score
I figured that I should get under there and eyeball things. Does anyone else have this bed step brace?View attachment 3919View attachment 3920
Dealership noted they fixed my bed step on my work order invoice. Just checked underneath and I don’t see where anything was replaced. The bracket and all braces still have the original Cahill marks from the assembly plant.

Users who are viewing this thread