Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed lowering mode details

Alwalden

Reaction score
Hi all,
Has anyone heard of getting this feature turned on or implemented in the 1500's with air suspension?

Larson

Reaction score
For those that have the air suspension, there is a new “Bed lowering mode” that can be used to drop the rear end by 3 inches. The alternate trailer height drops the rear by 1 - 1.5 inches.
To access the bed lowering mode, you have to go into Apps on your Uconnect screen, scroll over until you find the icon labeled “Bed lowering”. This button is not available anywhere else. You can drag it to your menu bar as I did and replaced my climate button as it’s redundant.
View attachment 675

Once pressed, the 7” cluster screen will indicate its lowering the bed and drop the bed 3”. It will indicate “bed low”. The bed will raise again until normal height is achieved if the vehicle moves over 25 mph.

View attachment 676

This is very handy if your trailer needs a drop greater than the alternate trailer height can allow for your hitch ball to separate from the trailer tongue.

It’s not really documented very well on the inter web nor in the manual clearly stating that the bed lowering button will completely drop the bed beyond the alternate trailer height. Figured it will save someone the research.

Enjoy!
This is a little off topic but does anyone know why the new Ram 3500 do not have a rear anti sway bar. Plan on doing some camping with a truck camper. Can't imagine driving our mountain and coastal roads without one.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Has anyone heard of getting this feature turned on or implemented in the 1500's with air suspension?

There's maybe one member here that might know that answer since this is primarily the HD Trucks forum.

Check out the sister site 5thgenrams.com for an answer to 1500 questions.

OhioRAM

Reaction score
I have only had my 3500 for 2 weeks and it’s been cold in Ohio so I haven’t played with it much but today I measured the rear wheel well. Hit the bed lowering button. The dash said “lowering” but it definitely didn’t go anywhere. I’m anxious to get my travel trailer hooked up to it and use the Alt Trailer feature but honestly I’m struggling to find a lot of info on how that works.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have only had my 3500 for 2 weeks and it’s been cold in Ohio so I haven’t played with it much but today I measured the rear wheel well. Hit the bed lowering button. The dash said “lowering” but it definitely didn’t go anywhere. I’m anxious to get my travel trailer hooked up to it and use the Alt Trailer feature but honestly I’m struggling to find a lot of info on how that works.

The air system will attempt to keep your truck at the empty ride height regardless of load.

The air suspension trucks have less rake (~1") than the non-air trucks (~2-3") so they're already closer to level.

The air bags will be stiffer in the cold and the empty bed lowering less effective. In no case will a 3500 move more than 1" measured at the bumper hitch.

The claim of 2-3" lowering is for 2500 trucks only.

Using Alt Trailer Height lowers it 1" to what should be a level bedrail.

It cannot be engaged while moving, and will not engage without at least ~600lbs of payload, so make sure you set it after you hook up.

Last edited:

kxnate

Reaction score
Just picked up my 3500 with the air suspension yesterday. The Bed Lowering function is not even listed in my display options. Did they just do away with the bed lowering function on the 3500's with all the confusion I have read about as to whether or not it even works on 3500's?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just picked up my 3500 with the air suspension yesterday. The Bed Lowering function is not even listed in my display options. Did they just do away with the bed lowering function on the 3500's with all the confusion I have read about as to whether or not it even works on 3500's?

Nothing under the Suspension option in settings?

kxnate

Reaction score
Nothing under the Suspension option in settings?
Nope, only thing in there is tire jack mode, transport mode, and wheel alignment. No bed lowering. I wonder if they removed it on the 3500 option programming as from what I gather it didn't work on the 3500s anyways?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, only thing in there is tire jack mode, transport mode, and wheel alignment. No bed lowering. I wonder if they removed it on the 3500 option programming as from what I gather it didn't work on the 3500s anyways?
Mine worked as expected, about one inch.

Sent from my work avoidance device

BAT3500

Reaction score
My 3500 has to have more than 800 pounds in the bed to get the lowering option to work.
My 3500 is the same. The system is working properly, ram just did a piss poor job of informing the 3500 owners how the system works.

I wanted and expected to be able to lower the truck to hook up trailers too, just like the 2500's can. The reason the most 3500's cannot lower with and empty truck is that air system is a helper type system, the truck still has leaf springs on the rear. The truck will air down the bags when you push the button, but you are simply sitting on the leaf springs with no change in height. The truck senses no movement and cancels the operation airing the bags back up to normal settings. Put a sufficient load on the truck to start compressing the leaf springs and you can lower the rear....i usually lower truck after i hook up my fifth wheel.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I tow with my 2020 3500 set to alternate trailer height. Like said above, it will not lower until after the trailer tongue weight is on the hitch. In that "alternate" mode mine drops 1 1/4".

Last edited:

kxnate

Reaction score
Finally found the bed lowering function on my 2021, it was not listed in suspension settings, I actually found it in the apps screen. I'll have to measure later when I get home and see how much it drops.

kxnate

Reaction score
Finally found the bed lowering function on my 2021, it was not listed in suspension settings, I actually found it in the apps screen. I'll have to measure later when I get home and see how much it drops.
Well I got like 3/16" of an inch lol

Users who are viewing this thread