Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed lowering mode details

Omarf4

Reaction score
For those that have the air suspension, there is a new “Bed lowering mode” that can be used to drop the rear end by 3 inches. The alternate trailer height drops the rear by 1 - 1.5 inches.
To access the bed lowering mode, you have to go into Apps on your Uconnect screen, scroll over until you find the icon labeled “Bed lowering”. This button is not available anywhere else. You can drag it to your menu bar as I did and replaced my climate button as it’s redundant.
845F72F7-3011-4326-B2DE-DC18A8F3B1B5.jpeg

Once pressed, the 7” cluster screen will indicate its lowering the bed and drop the bed 3”. It will indicate “bed low”. The bed will raise again until normal height is achieved if the vehicle moves over 25 mph.

1D570A6E-4239-4C2A-BD93-011D6C735F6A.jpeg

This is very handy if your trailer needs a drop greater than the alternate trailer height can allow for your hitch ball to separate from the trailer tongue.

It’s not really documented very well on the inter web nor in the manual clearly stating that the bed lowering button will completely drop the bed beyond the alternate trailer height. Figured it will save someone the research.

Enjoy!

Zinga

Reaction score
The manual also states this:
Most 3500 models will not lower to Alternate Trailer Height (ATH) when unloaded.
This is in reference to lowering only 1". If the 3500 won't lower 1", I doubt it'll lower 3".

thestuarts

Reaction score
Most 3500 models will not lower to Alternate Trailer Height (ATH) when unloaded.
This is in reference to lowering only 1". If the 3500 won't lower 1", I doubt it'll lower 3".

I think @Omarf4 is saying there is a difference between the alternate trailer height mode and the bed lowering mode. I will try this tomorrow and let you know if it works. I hope it does, because my truck is 1/2" too tall to fit in my garage at work.

jpaeth

Reaction score
I think @Omarf4 is saying there is a difference between the alternate trailer height mode and the bed lowering mode. I will try this tomorrow and let you know if it works. I hope it does, because my truck is 1/2" too tall to fit in my garage at work.
Even if it does lower the bed, it will only be dropping the rear of the truck, not the cab. You will still be too tall. And the 3500 wont drop at all without a load on it.

Distillusion

Reaction score
If you lower the body at the rear axle, the center between the axles will drop about 1/2 of that. That's about the center of the cab. The front of the cab is about 1/4th of the distance behind the front axle, so it will lower maybe 1/4th of what you lower the rear.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Even if it does lower the bed, it will only be dropping the rear of the truck, not the cab. You will still be too tall. And the 3500 wont drop at all without a load on it.

Thanks. That's good to know. I will give it a try with some sand bags in the back just to see if it gives me the 1/2" extra clearance I need.

jpaeth

Reaction score
If you lower the body at the rear axle, the center between the axles will drop about 1/2 of that. That's about the center of the cab. The front of the cab is about 1/4th of the distance behind the front axle, so it will lower maybe 1/4th of what you lower the rear.
Well, the highest part of the cab is the front, with the antenna there, which is the part of the cab that will drop the least. I know what you are saying in that if you drop the rear the angle changes and will drop the cab, my point is that it will be such an insignificant drop that it probably won't be noticeable. And on my truck, if I am looking at clearances of fractions of an inch, I'm not even trying to fit it in that space.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Well, the highest part of the cab is the front, with the antenna there, which is the part of the cab that will drop the least. I know what you are saying in that if you drop the rear the angle changes and will drop the cab, my point is that it will be such an insignificant drop that it probably won't be noticeable. And on my truck, if I am looking at clearances of fractions of an inch, I'm not even trying to fit it in that space.
[/QU
Yep, if the bed lowering mode only goes for 1 inch, you'd only get 1/4" at the antenna. And that's exactly why I answered the way I did. But for the folks that can make it in the garage but are nervously close, dropping the bed 3" means the antenna should drop around 3/4 of an inch, perhaps increasing their comfort level a bit. Doesn't really matter to me, either. I won't have a truck that won't fit in my garage without lowering. Because eventually I'd forget to lower it while driving in in the dark or something.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Yep, if the bed lowering mode only goes for 1 inch, you'd only get 1/4" at the antenna. And that's exactly why I answered the way I did. But for the folks that can make it in the garage but are nervously close, dropping the bed 3" means the antenna should drop around 3/4 of an inch, perhaps increasing their comfort level a bit. Doesn't really matter to me, either. I won't have a truck that won't fit in my garage without lowering. Because eventually I'd forget to lower it while driving in in the dark or something.

You are right that it is risky to lower the bed to get into a garage. I could forget to lower the bed, or there could be an unexpected low spot. In my particular case, the lowest spot is just the main gate, so once I get past the gate I don't have to worry about the height.

With the bed lowered, I was able to get into the garage this morning without touching the 6'6" warning sign. Now I have to decide if I want to go lower the bed every morning and worry about forgetting when sleep deprived.

Ramit530

Reaction score
For those that have the air suspension, there is a new “Bed lowering mode” that can be used to drop the rear end by 3 inches. The alternate trailer height drops the rear by 1 - 1.5 inches.
To access the bed lowering mode, you have to go into Apps on your Uconnect screen, scroll over until you find the icon labeled “Bed lowering”. This button is not available anywhere else. You can drag it to your menu bar as I did and replaced my climate button as it’s redundant.
View attachment 675

Once pressed, the 7” cluster screen will indicate its lowering the bed and drop the bed 3”. It will indicate “bed low”. The bed will raise again until normal height is achieved if the vehicle moves over 25 mph.

View attachment 676

This is very handy if your trailer needs a drop greater than the alternate trailer height can allow for your hitch ball to separate from the trailer tongue.

It’s not really documented very well on the inter web nor in the manual clearly stating that the bed lowering button will completely drop the bed beyond the alternate trailer height. Figured it will save someone the research.

Enjoy!

I know you mentioned it raises back up at 25 MPH, mine raises the moment the truck starts to roll using the accelerator, as well as the button grey's out disabling it...

thestuarts

Reaction score
I know you mentioned it raises back up at 25 MPH, mine raises the moment the truck starts to roll using the accelerator, as well as the button grey's out disabling it...

Thismorning I noticed mine also raises back up when the truck starts to roll.

evanyj350

Reaction score
This is the best news yet. It fixes my only disappointment with my 2016 rig. I hook up bumper pull trailers almost daily and use the rear air suspension to help. I go thru the settings menu to get to "Transport Mode" but it takes about 5 steps to get there. I am so excited they put an icon on the screen for this. They should really have a button at the rear bumper or on the Fob for this in addition. I am a huge fan of the rear air suspension on the 2500s. Self leveling and hooking up a trailer, it is amazing ! I plan to trade my rig in when the 2020s come out.

MoneyMagicMike

Reaction score
Does
anyone know if it work at all unloaded..my truck does not budge a peep on flat ground up or down

MoneyMagicMike

Reaction score
I’m wondering if my system just doesn’t work on my 3500 limited new house payment anyone no what to do to get it working...dealer said two weeks then would need overnight just to get in rotation to peek at...I’m sad...5 day old truck.....everything else with it is superb...probably just wait till someone else finds a fix if it’s something simple...here’s to hope, cheers

Don-T

Reaction score
I’m wondering if my system just doesn’t work on my 3500 limited new house payment anyone no what to do to get it working...dealer said two weeks then would need overnight just to get in rotation to peek at...I’m sad...5 day old truck.....everything else with it is superb...probably just wait till someone else finds a fix if it’s something simple...here’s to hope, cheers
My 3500 has to have more than 800 pounds in the bed to get the lowering option to work.

Ramit530

Reaction score
Yesterday went to hook up to trailer and noticed my Icon for “Bed Lowering “ is gone. I have used this function in the past and it’s a great option but now can not find it any where. I know I have received a few U connect updates and wonder did they remove this option?
Omarf4 or anyone else check and see if they still have it, and share where to find it again?

geektoad

Reaction score
when I went through everything when I first got my 2020, i never saw that icon in the apps. I'd assume they removed it

Ramit530

Reaction score
Well that’s a BS way of fixing a select few vehicle issues. They advertised the hell out that feature when they rolled these trucks out and now it’s gone? And the fact they don’t tell you is even more BS. I am hopeful there is a way yet to do it, it is a great feature.

Omarf4

Reaction score
It’s still there for me. Are you sure it’s not under the suspension controls or the apps screen?

geektoad

Reaction score
I double checked this morning and it is indeed there, and works.

Users who are viewing this thread