Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banks ran horn

BadRam3500

Reaction score
Huge difference in turbo sound …. But only when you are accelerating to build speed . When you’re cruising it’s nice and quiet.
I would love to have a nice BOV to vent to atmosphere.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Ford 7.3 heating coil. The post on the coil is an 8mm and the grid heater is a 10mm eyelet connector. Not too big of a deal - I'll just grab some flange nuts to hold the connector to the post.

PXL_20211214_234018897.jpg

PXL_20211214_234028389.jpg

It should work perfect tapped into the 4th gen Banks intake horn.

Reactions: J-J

J-J

Reaction score
Just got it back yesterday….. big difference in power .
It feels lighter now . Pretty sure it’s getting better mileage, which helps with the 42’s.
So I must ask did you do the grid heater delete and and put the heater coil in the new intake? Did the new monster ram come with the fuel line or did you just use all oem lines with the new design?

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

BadRam3500

Reaction score
I believe it came with a modified fuel line , and I used the heating coil that was supplied with the kit . All in all the kit is well thought out

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Very happy with how this turned out. 7.3l heater coil worked perfect in the 4th gen intake horn and have cycled it a few times already. Ignore the piece of tape on top of it. I want to get a rubber nipple over it just in case something ever touches it so the tape is there for now instead.

PXL_20220128_213040270.jpg

PXL_20220128_213057579.jpg

You do not have to remove the entire fuel rail like they say. I left both return lines and #6 alone and still had enough room to work.

PXL_20220130_171607345.jpg

PXL_20220130_234242240.jpg

flan

Reaction score
Intake plenum looks pretty clean, how long did you run it with EGR for?

UglyViking

Reaction score
And even more testing to prove the product is solid and does what it says.....
I just watched this, and per usual while I really admire Gale's data, his salesmanship is really what wins people over. I've listed a few items he notes, in order of appearance of the video starting at about 11:00.

Comments about the stock airhorn having sharp turns
He comments about the small outlet but also the fluid dynamics of the "sharp turn following the radius". He then comments that the reason the OEM air horn has to have such a shallow curve is because of the stock fuel line, completely ignoring the fact that the OEM specs both the air horn and fuel line. Also completely ignoring the fact that right after the plate the air takes a sharp turn.

Cylindrical heating unit
This is probably the best part of the whole unit. I expect that ford heater coil to be lower obstruction and easier to maintain in the longer turn. That should keep buildup out of the heater grid, and assuming it works as well, shouldn't result in any downsides.

Test results
Takes the competition and tests against the stock plate, and tests the monster ram with their billet plate without a grid heater. Already, obvious changes in disruption of air, everything aside. The plate off test was more interesting as at least it was a more direct comparison. I would have loved to see a test without the banks plate, but I expect the banks unit would still have flown better.

His point on the throttle body vs not, well I'm not knowledgable enough to know for sure but my guess is that the throttle body having such a hard stop causes issues with airflow, I don't quite know how to describe it but basically the harsh vs tapered edge. That said, the harsh edge doesn't matter on the throttle body since it's part of the system, so it's not an end component. This is another area where I start to question. Does he realize it? Like the team must know that obviously the throttle body alone will not perform as well as something custom tailored with the expectation of being "end of the line". That is where I start to think that he's really putting on the show for those that don't understand fluid dynamics, or how these systems play together. He's measuring things that don't matter and saying "hey look at this!".

End take
It's a cool piece for sure. I will likely, in time, pick one up. It checks the boxes of removing the grid header, which is a potential area for concern, and… well for me that's really it. There are so many bottle necks in the system that I'll wait till I'm running compounds and 60% over sticks before I come close to caring about this thing. It does look nice, I see no harm in using it, I just don't see any real added value.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
I just watched this, and per usual while I really admire Gale's data, his salesmanship is really what wins people over. I've listed a few items he notes, in order of appearance of the video starting at about 11:00.

Comments about the stock airhorn having sharp turns
He comments about the small outlet but also the fluid dynamics of the "sharp turn following the radius". He then comments that the reason the OEM air horn has to have such a shallow curve is because of the stock fuel line, completely ignoring the fact that the OEM specs both the air horn and fuel line. Also completely ignoring the fact that right after the plate the air takes a sharp turn.

Cylindrical heating unit
This is probably the best part of the whole unit. I expect that ford heater coil to be lower obstruction and easier to maintain in the longer turn. That should keep buildup out of the heater grid, and assuming it works as well, shouldn't result in any downsides.

Test results
Takes the competition and tests against the stock plate, and tests the monster ram with their billet plate without a grid heater. Already, obvious changes in disruption of air, everything aside. The plate off test was more interesting as at least it was a more direct comparison. I would have loved to see a test without the banks plate, but I expect the banks unit would still have flown better.

His point on the throttle body vs not, well I'm not knowledgable enough to know for sure but my guess is that the throttle body having such a hard stop causes issues with airflow, I don't quite know how to describe it but basically the harsh vs tapered edge. That said, the harsh edge doesn't matter on the throttle body since it's part of the system, so it's not an end component. This is another area where I start to question. Does he realize it? Like the team must know that obviously the throttle body alone will not perform as well as something custom tailored with the expectation of being "end of the line". That is where I start to think that he's really putting on the show for those that don't understand fluid dynamics, or how these systems play together. He's measuring things that don't matter and saying "hey look at this!".

End take
It's a cool piece for sure. I will likely, in time, pick one up. It checks the boxes of removing the grid header, which is a potential area for concern, and… well for me that's really it. There are so many bottle necks in the system that I'll wait till I'm running compounds and 60% over sticks before I come close to caring about this thing. It does look nice, I see no harm in using it, I just don't see any real added value.
You're hilarious....it doesn't matter what data is posted....you just don't want it to be a good thing so you keep poo poo'ing it....what he is proving with the "harsh edge" test is that he can still bend the air almost 180° without impeding the airflow....you've never posted anything but opinions on this part regarding airflow and restrictions....you state "show me the data"....well there it is and you still scratch for an itch to debunk it....if you go on the monster ram product page they even show you the airflow with it and the stock heater grid plate...he isn't hiding any of the numbers....you still want to claim something is foul tho...and after all that doubting and opinion posting...you say you will still buy the part "if" you build your rig which now befuddles me considering all your anti monster ram comments....

UglyViking

Reaction score
You're hilarious....it doesn't matter what data is posted....you just don't want it to be a good thing so you keep poo poo'ing it....what he is proving with the "harsh edge" test is that he can still bend the air almost 180° without impeding the airflow....you've never posted anything but opinions on this part regarding airflow and restrictions....you state "show me the data"....well there it is and you still scratch for an itch to debunk it....if you go on the monster ram product page they even show you the airflow with it and the stock heater grid plate...he isn't hiding any of the numbers....you still want to claim something is foul tho...and after all that doubting and opinion posting...you say you will still buy the part "if" you build your rig which now befuddles me considering all your anti monster ram comments....
I think you're vastly misunderstanding my post. Let me try again.

I really like Gale. I think the guy is very smart, has tons of background in this business, and has a ton of creative ideas. I think of all the aftermarket companies out there, his is one of the most data and design driven, and I admire it.

That said, the guy is a hardcore salesman. He presented that entire video and never once told you why that data matters. For example, he starts with saying (1:30 mark roughly) that you're starting with 1200 CFM with the aftermarket intake, and flowing roughly 400 CFM at the stock intake elbow. He then talks about how it's air density and how that 3:1 ratio results in much denser air.

He then talks about how the system moves air through, including the basics of a turbo, and the flow. He talks about the constant of the mass air flow. Great, so we know the importance of that number. We then see how he has his boost tubes and his custom intercooler, but doesn't mention their MAF/CFM ratings or the rating vs stock. Fine, I can find that data elsewhere. Then, finally into the factory throttle and finally into the intake elbow.

He then goes on to show numbers on each of the compared intakes both CFM and MAF. Ok, perfect, we know that the Banks intake elbow is better than stock and the competition. I have no doubt.

I am also curious on what difference, if any, in velocity between the stock and banks unit. I don't know enough about airflow or fluid dynamics to really speak to this comfortably but Gale discussed CFM (how much air) and MAF (how much mass) flowed through the system, but there is a third part to play here which is air velocity (how fast). I would make a basic assumption that with the stock elbows curve and narrowing down of the exhaust side that would build velocity. Perhaps that is necessary only to "push through" the grid heater due to losses from the restriction on the grid heater? I'm unsure, again I don't know enough about this to speak intelligently here just questions I'm asking.

That said, why should I care about this intake elbow? Is it a limiting factor in HP? Is the stock intake limiting acceleration or increasing drive pressure? Here are two items from his website that he claims:
  • Quicker throttle response
  • Raises boost without increasing turbine drive pressure
This is awesome! This should be the show! Who gives a rats ass about CFM and MAF. If the reason to add this part is less restriction so that I have a quicker throttle response and boost pressure then show me that data. Where is the dyno sheet? Where is the chart showing throttle response improvement?

Like any good magician there is some misdirection going on here. He gives the data that makes his product look good, and he only includes bullet points on the rest.

I have 0 doubt that this thing is the bees knees compared to the stock unit, but the question isn't "does it improve MAF/CFM" the question should be "does this increase HP/TQ, acceleration, or MPG?".

So, hopefully this long winded answer helps clarify. I am not saying it's not a good product. I am not saying that I know better/more than Gale and the guys at Banks. What I am saying, is that this thing would be so easy to sell if it had any affect on the numbers guys care about (HP/TQ, Acceleration and MPG as I mentioned before).

The reason I'm looking at getting one in the future, as I stated previously, is primarily due to the change in heater to coil from grid. I see massive benefits from that, even if the unit functions about the same. I am also going to wait till I'm running compound turbos before I do that, as right now it wouldn't make any sense as I have high confidence that the stock unit isn't acting as the most narrow point in the system.

Finally, I really don't have some strange desire to "debunk" the work. I am trying to understand. I feel like I can pretty easily see through the marketing lingo and I have questions about it. I've also yet to see anyone put an intake elbow on a stock truck and do before and after dyno runs.

Anyway, hope this helps clarify, if not to you then to others that may come along and read to see why I've said what I said.

MtnRider

Reaction score
^ Hit the nail right on the head. Banks is a marketing genius but rarely ever has data to back his impressive sales pitch. Show me what it does, with his knowledge he should have no problem producing data to back up the pitch I would think? I'm sure it's a better product then the competition but again, show some data.

flan

Reaction score
It seems like a stock CR head will flow 165cfm in stock config, and one of the better if not best shops in the industry can port and polish to 320cfm.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
^ Hit the nail right on the head. Banks is a marketing genius but rarely ever has data to back his impressive sales pitch. Show me what it does, with his knowledge he should have no problem producing data to back up the pitch I would think? I'm sure it's a better product then the competition but again, show some data.

I emailed them a month ago asking for any kind of dyno sheets they have for their intake. I was directed to the cfm numbers on their website. Even k&n humors us with BS dyno numbers.

Riddick

Reaction score
I am sure it flows way more air than stock, noone will argue this. However, in the real world the air flows through the elbow into the engine which has its own set of restrictions. Having the elbow flow into the atmosphere does not tell us how the much air the engine can efficiently move. As others have stated I'd like to see them get back to the basics. Real world before and after Dyno numbers, acceleration tests, and mpg gains would be a great start.

Hell, he had clips of the truck on a Dyno. We all know they have the data we want but I am guessing the gains are minimal so they don't want to share. Instead let's talk about how much the MONSTER RAM flows into the open atmosphere, lol. He is indeed one hell of a salesman!!

Reaction score
Some of you need to watch Gale Banks' video in slow motion.

For one, he debunks all the other shops talking about VELOCITY of the air because in turbocharging, you need to focus on the MASS of the air, not the velocity. He is talking about how when you are driving, it is the MASS of the air in the pipe because it has a LARGER area for the turbo to fill and only when you reach the limits of the turbocharger does velocity come into play. BOOST is merely a measure of the restriction across the head. If you pulled the head, ported it, opening up the into and freeing up the exhaust without changing the cam or turbo, your BOOST would go DOWN, velocity would go down but your MASS would go up, thus more power. In tuning, you could add more turbo speed by playing with the guide vanes until you reach the efficiencies of the turbo where it begins to heat up the air too much.

If you do not like the part, do not buy it... but seriously, spend more time learning airflow before making statements that are completely false.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Some of you need to watch Gale Banks' video in slow motion.

For one, he debunks all the other shops talking about VELOCITY of the air because in turbocharging, you need to focus on the MASS of the air, not the velocity. He is talking about how when you are driving, it is the MASS of the air in the pipe because it has a LARGER area for the turbo to fill and only when you reach the limits of the turbocharger does velocity come into play. BOOST is merely a measure of the restriction across the head. If you pulled the head, ported it, opening up the into and freeing up the exhaust without changing the cam or turbo, your BOOST would go DOWN, velocity would go down but your MASS would go up, thus more power. In tuning, you could add more turbo speed by playing with the guide vanes until you reach the efficiencies of the turbo where it begins to heat up the air too much.

If you do not like the part, do not buy it... but seriously, spend more time learning airflow before making statements that are completely false.
I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I've got a follow up. Please keep in mind that as I've stated earlier in this thread, I'm no expert here and especially not one with fluid dynamics or airflow.

I understand everything you discussed above, but we are operating under the impression that the head has been ported and the exhaust opened up correct? I think the discussion here pretty clearly focused on more street focused builds, and considering Banks is vocally opposed to deletes I'll assume that is out of the question as well. Furthermore, if the banks ram horn needs a head port in order to see benefit over stock, I'd argue that it's not really a performance part as much as an adapter.

Either way, if this part alone added HP/TQ, better acceleration, MPG, etc. then why doesn't Gale show those numbers anywhere on the site?

I say this in an attempt to learn. Also, if you can please point me to any statements that I personally made that are false that would be great. I'd love to edit the post to correct anything that I'm incorrectly stating. (no snark intended here)

loveracing1988

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I've got a follow up. Please keep in mind that as I've stated earlier in this thread, I'm no expert here and especially not one with fluid dynamics or airflow.

I understand everything you discussed above, but we are operating under the impression that the head has been ported and the exhaust opened up correct? I think the discussion here pretty clearly focused on more street focused builds, and considering Banks is vocally opposed to deletes I'll assume that is out of the question as well. Furthermore, if the banks ram horn needs a head port in order to see benefit over stock, I'd argue that it's not really a performance part as much as an adapter.

Either way, if this part alone added HP/TQ, better acceleration, MPG, etc. then why doesn't Gale show those numbers anywhere on the site?

I say this in an attempt to learn. Also, if you can please point me to any statements that I personally made that are false that would be great. I'd love to edit the post to correct anything that I'm incorrectly stating. (no snark intended here)
That's the part I do not like. There is no proof of any gains other than saying it flows better. If it was that good to me there should be a dyno sheet to go with it showing the gains. To me the only reason to not show dyno sheets would be that it doesn't gain anything horsepower or torque. I'd love to be proven wrong but I emailed them asking to see any kind of hp, torque, or mpg gains and was pointed to the flow numbers.

Reaction score

I am NOT stating the head or anything has to be ported to make the ram work.... I am stating exactly as Gale did that BOOST is a reference of a restriction in airflow across the head. The measurement that people always look towards is "how much boost you can make" or "how much CFM/airflow can part-X make" and what I am stating is the same thing Gale has... we need to measure in MASS Of Airflow which is the density of the air waiting to go into the combustion chamber when the valve opens up. By having a greater MASS, you get more power for each revolution. Think of it as a gate in a field... the larger the gate, the more cows can get through. The cows are already standing side to side, and moving at their normal pace... but having a larger area for them to go through without making them turn around a bend or pole means they can walk freely through the gate without restriction. This makes the effort of the Cowboy pushing them through easier, thus his horse (turbo) works less, BUT since the turbo has the capability to push a certain given amount as programmed by the Cowboy... he gets more work done. Does this simplify the situation? I hope so. In simple terms, with the Banks Ram, more Beef can flow when the valve opens because the mass waiting is greater.

Hope this helps.

Also note that Banks has an EPA Certification for the part. If he begins advertising that he is making more POWER and gives numbers, the EPA can go after him using his own info against him. By using a Mass reference, the EPA has no evidence other than what is already tuned for certification. As business owners these days, you have to adapt to what we can share so Big Brother doesn't point their finger at you while they do as they please.

Users who are viewing this thread