Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baja Design reverse lights triggered by aux reverse switch

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
@Jimmy07

So I'm installing a set of Baja Design squadron lights into my rear bumper. Using them as back up lights/scene lights/trailer loading lights when I'm out doing pit support off road.

I don't want to tie them into the trucks reverse lights as I will need them on at other times when the truck is not in reverse.

So my question is, can I wire the trigger wire for the relay that supplies power to the BD lights to the switch on the lighting switch that controls the auxiliary reverse lights that are mounted in the mirrors? Is it as simple as finding the trigger wire from that switch and tapping into it? Or is there some other way I need to tap into it? My thought is that I could use that to turn them on and if I forgot to turn them off, they will automatically go off when I put the truck in drive.

Or am I SOL and need to provide my own switch to trigger the relay?

Thanks for any help.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
No, not at the switch because it’s multiplex. You’d have to run the relay trigger wire to the mirror aux light signal wire where it originates at the door module.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
It would be the white wire with brown stripe on the green connector that is plugged into the driver side door module.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
OK, thanks. That's what i was wondering since I don't fully understand all of the new fangled Can Buss stuff.

I'm an old school electronics tech.

So I can use the signal wire that turns on the aux light to trigger the relay.

Just getting my order in now, hope to be installing soon. I'm using the SDHQ prototype adapters they have for the BD flush mount squadron lights to fit the RAM bumper curve. I'll do a write up and pictures when I install.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
OK, thanks. That's what i was wondering since I don't fully understand all of the new fangled Can Buss stuff.

I'm an old school electronics tech.

So I can use the signal wire that turns on the aux light to trigger the relay.

Just getting my order in now, hope to be installing soon. I'm using the SDHQ prototype adapters they have for the BD flush mount squadron lights to fit the RAM bumper curve. I'll do a write up and pictures when I install.
Yes, that is the wire that supplies 12v power to the mirror aux spotter light. So, your new lights will turn on under any circumstances that the mirror spot lights currently would turn.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Do you by chance have a diagram or picture :rolleyes:

NVM. Just saw your second post about wire colors. Thanks.

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
This is a really smart idea. Avoids wasting an aux switch, and compliments a feature that's already there.

Nice!

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
For some reason your link didn't work for me.

But it starts on page 15 of my build thread.

Just an FYI, I wired in a switch so that I can turn them on at any time. I did not wire them to the aux reverse lights in the mirrors.

Smittys2500RAM

Reaction score
What state was your truck built to be sold in?
Not sure exactly where it was built but it was bought here in California.... I'm sure it has to do with some Cali rule or law restricting something that makes sense or might be fun....

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure exactly where it was built but it was bought here in California.... I'm sure it has to do with some Cali rule or law restricting something that makes sense or might be fun....

You can use AlfaOBD to enable the lights in reverse. MS and CA don't allow it to be programmed that way from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread