Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aux Switches

grum

Reaction score
I've been planning a similar setup. I figure it gives plenty of room. Keeps things close for firewall, battery(gasser), and existing fuse tap expansion right there.

Can't quite tell what you mounted too, I'm looking at using an L bracket off the one fender mount and maybe coming up off the existing nuts off the battery tray that I assume are used for the factory aux box.

Good work. That is super clean.
i used a piece of 1 inch x 1/4 inch flat bar under the brace pictured. it is bent to exactly follow the lines of the oem brace. then i welded L brackets to that and mounted the box to it.

grum

Reaction score
Can you open the pdc cover for the aux switches where you have it?
yes. i actually use the aux switch outputs (rated at 20 amps) to control the relays in the box i mounted (50 amp relays with 40 amp fuses that can be wired in parallel for up to 80 amps per pair) for larger draw accessories... as an example i have 2 250 amp solenoids wired in parallel (500 amp total capacity through 2 250 amp circuit breakers to the battery) that are controlled by my #6 aux switch that supplies voltage to my rear mounted winch port/jumper cable port.

if i draw the batteries low with the engine off, the pcm should turn off the aux switch (and the winch port) so that i should still be able to start the truck if i have a bone head moment lol

wyleam1066

Reaction score
Since I have applied for lemon law on my truck and once it's gone I never plan to buy a Ram ever again after how I was treated, so If any of you that want all the connectors to wire the OEM PDC box here's your chance and maybe sell a few. I can provide you a drawing I created in solidworks as to where all the wires go in the oem pdc box. All these parts took me about 2 months to figure out. I forgot I have 6 68298547AA OEM RAM RELAYS and 11 20a fuses, 2 30a fuses

I have about $850 into all the terminals and wiring 20 TXL, 18 GXL, 12 GXL, 10 GXL, if someone wants it make me an offer for the whole lot
Which connector do you use to plug into the aux switch panel? I'd like to make a harness and don't know where to find that info.
Since I have applied for lemon law on my truck and once it's gone I never plan to buy a Ram ever again after how I was treated, so If any of you that want all the connectors to wire the OEM PDC box here's your chance and maybe sell a few. I can provide you a drawing I created in solidworks as to where all the wires go in the oem pdc box. All these parts took me about 2 months to figure out. I forgot I have 6 68298547AA OEM RAM RELAYS and 11 20a fuses, 2 30a fuses

I have about $850 into all the terminals and wiring 20 TXL, 18 GXL, 12 GXL, 10 GXL, if someone wants it make me an offer for the whole lot only.

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
All, really appreciate the help with the Aux box. Finally got it done today. Fabricated some aluminum angle bar to go between the battery and the firewall. Removed one of the pop-out plastic rivets and replaced with a bolt the attach the angle bar. Had to notch the angle car to fit around the angle.
Attached the switches to the left of the steering column. Was going to route it to the overhead cab panel, but didn't want a hole in the roof liner. Other spot I looked at was the lower left dash, but too out of the way. Not the best spot for it as I am concerned about UV degradation on the buttons. Placed the black stickers on the bottom 3 for now. Just waiting for the switchback bulbs for the fog lights. Need a hidden grill light bar now, don't really want to spend a grand on the Baja Designs, wife wouldn't be too happy seeing the bill on that one. Third may be for some rear lights or ditch lights, who knows, maybe get both.
Again, thanks for all the pics and ideas. Was inspirational and gave me the idea of how and where to mount the aux box.

Like the clean looking instal on your box. Hoping to find one like that outside of auxbeam.

pdavey

Reaction score
In a nutshell yes. I hope you guys understand what you’re getting into by trying to add the left dash harness that contains the aux PDC. It runs about $600, and to R&R, you have to unplug and remove a lot of stuff in the engine bay. That harness also has a boot on it that goes through the firewall with connectors that plug into the BCM. Getting to the connectors on the BCM is another chore in and of itself. Then you still need the upper and lower covers for the aux PDC (separate parts).
You REALLY might want to consider just building an aux PDC using one off Amazon.

Jimmy, do you by chance know where the harness is for the aux wires? From what I understand inside the cab the aux wires terminate from the switches to a wire block with no wires out to the aux PDC if you don’t have it.

I am planning on building my own Aux PDC at this point but want to understand where to grab the source from the switch bank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Jimmy, do you by chance know where the harness is for the aux wires? From what I understand inside the cab the aux wires terminate from the switches to a wire block with no wires out to the aux PDC if you don’t have it.

I am planning on building my own Aux PDC at this point but want to understand where to grab the source from the switch bank.

They terminate at the xy125 in-line connector (the one the connects the instrument panel harness to the left dash harness). It is a 59-way connector with a lever lock on it above the brake pedal near the firewall.

pdavey

Reaction score
They terminate at the xy125 in-line connector (the one the connects the instrument panel harness to the left dash harness). It is a 59-way connector with a lever lock on it above the brake pedal near the firewall.
Thanks. I found the diagram you posted if the connector earlier up in the thread. Just wanted to be sure I was looking at the right connector

The amount of wiring on this truck can drive you crazy.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

pdavey

Reaction score
Thanks. I found the diagram you posted if the connector earlier up in the thread. Just wanted to be sure I was looking at the right connector

The amount of wiring on this truck can drive you crazy.

I believe this is the connector you were talking about?
0bc189dd59f60c32272965ad361c298f.jpg

pdavey

Reaction score
I believe this is the connector you were talking about?
0bc189dd59f60c32272965ad361c298f.jpg

NM I think this is the connector.

The wiring looks right on this one.

2be77199b73cb11ba1dc80f97050add0.jpg

pdavey

Reaction score
@jimmy007 do you know if the aux switch control signal is switched on the positive or negative?

Trying to set up my own aux PDC and want to make sure I am contemplating the wiring correctly.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
@jimmy007 do you know if the aux switch control signal is switched on the positive or negative?

Trying to set up my own aux PDC and want to make sure I am contemplating the wiring correctly.

The aux switches complete ground for their relay coils.

pdavey

Reaction score
The aux switches complete ground for their relay coils.
So if I am following you they should be the ground, connecting directly to position 85 on the relay which means position 86 should be positively powered.

0ef08d7bd954b546a538b6ae1546ba7a.gif

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
So if I am following you they should be the ground, connecting directly to position 86 on the relay which means position 85 should be positively powered.

Correct

pdavey

Reaction score
So if I am following you they should be the ground, connecting directly to position 85 on the relay which means position 86 should be positively powered.

0ef08d7bd954b546a538b6ae1546ba7a.gif

Sorry a clarification. Here is the diagram I was looking at but my mind switched the positions. Does this look right?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Sorry a clarification. Here is the diagram I was looking at but my mind switched the positions. Does this look right?

If you are using the factory aux PDC box, and wiring 100% factory, 86 is the relay pin for the switch signals. Your drawing is also correct, since polarity doesn’t matter for 85&86.

pdavey

Reaction score
Perfect. Thanks again. You are a huge help. Been a while since I wired a fuse box with relays.

One other question if you know it off the top of your head is what type of connector pin does the xyz-125 connector take?

coastie

Reaction score
I found the terminals that I needed for the fuses in the Aux PDC I bought them from Connector Experts (they weren't cheap for the 10 of them but that's all that I needed). Terminal number 506A fits perfectly.
The 505A terminals fit perfect for the large terminals on the relays. Much easier then modifying the 1/4 in yellow female terminals.

ethancaine

Reaction score
Been looking for a few months and just getting frustrated.

2021 PW 75E (so no PDC as I understand it) and I want to use an OEM Aux switch panel to run rock lights and a lightbar (or three), and be able to use the extra switches for ideas later on.

Is there a simple parts list or write up known to work with a factory look and minimum fabrication? My budget is about $1k for the switches and such (other accessories not included),

Users who are viewing this thread