Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have the 2019-2020 trailer camera yet?

jerry1965

Reaction score
Could someone let me know the part numbers if I want to use both aux camera's on my 2020 2500? I want to want my load and be able to see behind my toy hauler when I park. I know about 82215770AB
I have the “Trailer Aux Camera Prep” installed. But how does 1 plug connect 2 cameras? Is there some splitter in the kit for 82215770AB and you just order 2 of them or is there. a different part # for the second camera?

Phil T

Reaction score
I just finished installing my own version of the trailer camera. From the rear of my trailer, I ran Siamese cable, which is a RG6 cable and 18AWG power wires molded together. Siamese cable is commonly used in CCTV applications. The camera I used is a custom build. I took an inexpensive rear view camera and gutted it to get the housing. Then I installed a camera module that is 1080p with a Sony backlit sensor. The trailer connector was taken from a Ford trailer harness that I bought. The trailer side connector is the exact mate to the bumper connector on the truck. I think the picture will show that this camera setup is far superior to the junk that RAM supplies for over 500 bucks. Of course, this is a picture of a picture, so it is far better in real life.
20200628_191858.jpg

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I just finished installing my own version of the trailer camera. From the rear of my trailer, I ran Siamese cable, which is a RG6 cable and 18AWG power wires molded together. Siamese cable is commonly used in CCTV applications. The camera I used is a custom build. I took an inexpensive rear view camera and gutted it to get the housing. Then I installed a camera module that is 1080p with a Sony backlit sensor. The trailer connector was taken from a Ford trailer harness that I bought. The trailer side connector is the exact mate to the bumper connector on the truck. I think the picture will show that this camera setup is far superior to the junk that RAM supplies for over 500 bucks. Of course, this is a picture of a picture, so it is far better in real life.
View attachment 5522
That looks like my back yard

Phil T

Reaction score
Where do you live? Maybe it is.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 5522

Nice.

Did you get the cable from Nichols?

Did you buy the stock Y cable or did he make a custom cable?

Phil T

Reaction score
Siamese cable is available from numerous suppliers. None of the parts I used were from RAM. Since I do cabling as a business, I had a 1000' roll left over from a job. The display of the image still has the limitation of timeout built into the uconnect. I need to find a hacker that knows how the system works.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Siamese cable is available from numerous suppliers. None of the parts I used were from RAM. Since I do cabling as a business, I had a 1000' roll left over from a job. The display of the image still has the limitation of timeout built into the uconnect. I need to find a hacker that knows how the system works.
When you do, please please please give us the scoop. Full time rvr and i need that puppy on all the time then ill throw the furrion out the window

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so I got a hold of Bryan at Nichols and spoke to him about a 12-pin leader cable for the RAM trucks. If I can get him the wiring info, he can look at building the first 12-pin cable assembly truck to camper. Any other cables are already available or it's simple to source the other connectors and roll your own if you want to go CCTV or UTP or coax - or whatever.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@thestuarts @Jimmy07 can either one of you possibly pull the wiring info from tech authority and post it or PM me?

Thanks,

I was more interested to know if you were able to source the 12-pin or tapped in elsewhere.

Phil T

Reaction score
I bought a ford cable that has the same 12 pin connctor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
@thestuarts @Jimmy07 can either one of you possibly pull the wiring info from tech authority and post it or PM me?

Thanks,

I was more interested to know if you were able to source the 12-pin or tapped in elsewhere.
Keep us posted, i cal shotgun for putting my name on that list to have them built

4wdiver

Reaction score
i finally got mine all hooked up and working. i had bought the kit for the truck and camera kit for the trailer at the same time before i saw how bad the cam was. i have had everything installed for awhile but i couldn't finish the trailer because the cables were not long enough for my trailer. its a 44' gooseneck enclosed race car trailer. was waiting on dealer to get another extension cable but its on backorder. so i talked to nichols and he was able to make me a cable to fit the ram harness for the trailer. works fine now picture isn't great but its good enough to back the trailer or see if I'm clear of someone on the road.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
i finally got mine all hooked up and working. i had bought the kit for the truck and camera kit for the trailer at the same time before i saw how bad the cam was. i have had everything installed for awhile but i couldn't finish the trailer because the cables were not long enough for my trailer. its a 44' gooseneck enclosed race car trailer. was waiting on dealer to get another extension cable but its on backorder. so i talked to nichols and he was able to make me a cable to fit the ram harness for the trailer. works fine now picture isn't great but its good enough to back the trailer or see if I'm clear of someone on the road.

LOL, he told me he made a 50' extension cable for a RAM owner, must have been you.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
it was i wanted to get rid of all the connections
That's the way to go, just one length. I'm still glad I returned mine. Was not worth the $600 to me, between all the cabling and the crappy picture then the worst part, the 10 second screen. It was worthless for my application

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
That's pathetic, when you spend 85-90 k on a luxury truck and the electronics are less advanced than your furrion camera system and tire minder tire info center. To make it even worse, we had to spend $800 on the ttpms and aux cam technology and still not have the $600 junk cam system or tire temps on trailer screen. I would be happy if they would just give me a voucher for 1 free 12 pin plug in so i can build my own system. It would be the least they could do for shanking us on a inferior product as compared to the other 2 manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread