Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have the 2019-2020 trailer camera yet?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Crap. FCA could fix that with programming but I doubt they will.

Agree, very very disappointed.

GM has an invisible trailer in their solution and we can't even get a constant on observation camera.

You know, even if the camera came on when the turn signal was activated, it would be an added safety measure. Particularly since the blind spot detection doesn't work towing a fifth wheel.

The only hope is the aftermarket comes out with a black box, similar to what is already available for Ford's surround camera system, that allows one to keep the cameras constant on.

lovegolf44

Reaction score

GM has an invisible trailer in their solution and we can't even get a constant on observation camera.

You know, even if the camera came on when the turn signal was activated, it would be an added safety measure. Particularly since the blind spot detection doesn't work towing a fifth wheel.

The only hope is the aftermarket comes out with a black box, similar to what is already available for Ford's surround camera system, that allows one to keep the cameras constant on.
You think the trailer cam setting (viewable anytime) could be changed through AlfaOBD? Just thinking out loud here, seems it can do just about anything else.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You think the trailer cam setting (viewable anytime) could be changed through AlfaOBD? Just thinking out loud here, seems it can do just about anything else.

Seems none of the radio/Uconnection functions can be altered by AlphaOBD.

I think the only hope is the aftermarket.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I could deal with the Crap $500 camera pkg if we could all just figure out a way for it to stay on while traveling. That was a really stupid over look

1FastHemi

Reaction score
Would this work? https://www.coastaletech.com/uconnectairv2.htm I had v.5 in my 2009 1500 and could use the backup cam anytime.
I could deal with the Crap $500 camera pkg if we could all just figure out a way for it to stay on while traveling. That was a really stupid over look

I used Lock Pick on a 2010 Challenger SRT to add a Front and Rear camera and worked out great. Once I got it all setup, I haven't even thought of that company until I saw your post. It's now 2020 and the camera system on the OEM stereo is still working great.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Looks like it would work out great, just not interested in to spending $500

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That wasn't available when I started looking.

They don't list anything for the 12" or I might consider if:

1. It works with the 12"
2. It keeps working through updates*
3. Camera in motion worked with factory cams

NOTE: CHRYSLER HAS CHANGED THE SOFTWARE FOR RECENT PRODUCTION RAM AND GRAND CHEROKEE VEHICLES SO THAT THE FACTORY REAR CAMERA IS NOT ACTIVE AT SPEEDS ABOVE 10 MPH. THE LOCKPICK CANNOT ACTIVATE THIS CAMERA WHILE IN DRIVE ABOVE 10 MPH HOWEVER, ANY AFTERMARKET CAMERA CAN BE ACTIVATED REGARDLESS OF SPEED.

I still think it is just utterly stupid that GM has an invisible trailer camera system and FCA/RAM won't even enable the Aux trailer camera in-motion capability. In fact, I'm really pissed off it doesn't as I did plenty of research before spending money on the option that in the end, is probably going to be useless for my needs.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
That wasn't available when I started looking.

They don't list anything for the 12" or I might consider if:

1. It works with the 12"
2. It keeps working through updates*
3. Camera in motion worked with factory cams

I still think it is just utterly stupid that GM has an invisible trailer camera system and FCA/RAM won't even enable the Aux trailer camera in-motion capability. In fact, I'm really pissed off it doesn't as I did plenty of research before spending money on the option that in the end, is probably going to be useless for my needs.
Im right there with yah, that's the sole reason I purchased the new technology. All that an ill probably just end up sticking my plug in furrion in there, wich was what I was trying to get away from, a bunch of do dad's, was trying to keep a clean look.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Im right there with yah, that's the sole reason I purchased the new technology. All that an ill probably just end up sticking my plug in furrion in there, wich was what I was trying to get away from, a bunch of do dad's, was trying to keep a clean look.

My issue with furrion is that the vertical viewing angle is crap. I want a quality Sony UCCD with a 90* vertical view for my observation (primary) and backup (secondary) use.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
yeah, I've got one picked out an saved in my cart to. I'm just starting to get pi$$ed off an fed up about every thread that pops up has something to do with something being missing or not aligned An quality what they were expecting. I mean lm glad everybody posts so we no whay to look out for but dam is it that bad out there . When I bought this 16 2500 new off the lot , i didn't have one thing I had to complain about our I wasn't satisfied with. Ouf coarse back then I wasn't as knowledgeable on all this stuff. Knowledge is a double edge sword.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I was asked for the part numbers of the Bed components on the 2020 XFQ wiring setuo.

For anyone that added the XFQ and got only the bumper connection, or already has it in a 2019, here's some pics of the 2020 setup in the bed.

I can't say if this is everything, but it's the housing and cable parts down to the chassis connections below. The Aux camera wiring harness on my 2020 is plugged in form bed to chassis harness. the bumper Aux camera cable is capped with a dust plug.

I did not measure the two different cables so I don't know if the bumper cable will reach to the bed location. It appears to be shorter but I'm not going to cut all my tie wraps to find out. Maybe I'll put a tape on it if I think about it, but perhaps someone with the bed cable self-install kit can check too.

20200422_144348.jpg

68445096AB Bed 12-pin cable (zero hits on search)
20200422_144423.jpg

68453200AA (only getting one hit on google search)
20200422_144432.jpg

68398007AA 7-pin bed cable (should have this) I see 68398006aa listed for 2019 models
20200422_144856.jpg

Pic I've posted before of Aux cam connections behind the license plate.
Trailer wiring 2020-04-05 15_04_34-20200405_133538.jpg

68445095AB 12-pin Bumper cable
68445095AB P68186637AA.jpg

Last edited:

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
For anyone that added the XFQ and got only the bumper connection, here's some pics of the 2020 setup in the bed.

I can't say if this is everything, but it's the housing and cable parts down to the chassis connections below. The Aux camera wiring harness on my 2020 is plugged in form bed to chassis harness. the bumper Aux camera cable is capped with a dust plug.

View attachment 3975

View attachment 3976

View attachment 3977

68398007AA 7-pin bed cable (should have this) I see 68398006aa listed for 2019 models
View attachment 3979

View attachment 3980
Nice pics, good to know on the bumper dust plug

D

Deleted member 80

Yeah, the whole tech thing is a bust for my purposes. I love the new headlights, and the improved cooling system, but if I had it to do over, I would have bought an '18 leftover, saved some $$$, and avoided the CP4, hollow camshaft, scissor gear, hydraulic roller lifters, and low friction piston/ring package.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the whole tech thing is a bust for my purposes. I love the new headlights, and the improved cooling system, but if I had it to do over, I would have bought an '18 leftover, saved some $$$, and avoided the CP4, hollow camshaft, scissor gear, hydraulic roller lifters, and low friction piston/ring package.
I just know after i spend the 550 on that camera system I'm going to be p.o.an throw the furrion one in the cup holders or wire it into the aux switch bank. Just hate that i spent the money for the aux capability an there system won't stay on. I wish I knew that when I sent my paper work in for build. Should of never assumed

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I just know after i spend the 550 on that camera system I'm going to be p.o.an throw the furrion one in the cup holders or wire it into the aux switch bank. Just hate that i spent the money for the aux capability an there system won't stay on. I wish I knew that when I sent my paper work in for build. Should of never assumed

I think LockPick has a unit to help with that among other features. Has anyone check with them lately to see if they have the 2020 year with 12 screen available yet?

Phil T

Reaction score
For anyone that added the XFQ and got only the bumper connection, here's some pics of the 2020 setup in the bed.

Thanks for the pictures of the 2020. My 2019 rear wiring does not have any provision to have the trailer cam in that location. I suppose you could cut the hole that shape and swing the bumper connector for the camera to that hole. I added XFQ myself
and it runs right under that area. In fact, the 7way comes up from the main harness. The hole is round, so there is no way to put that new plate there unless you cut the bed. There are only two mounting holes for the 2019 also.

View attachment 3975

View attachment 3976

View attachment 3977

View attachment 3979

View attachment 3980

68445095AB 12-pin Bumper cable
View attachment 3981

thestuarts

Reaction score

My 2019 XFQ camera plug is in the bumper. From your pictures and description, it seems like I could use the 2020 parts to add a camera connector to the bed, although I could only use one of the camera connections at a time. Is that your assessment of the wiring?

Phil T

Reaction score
See my post above. I cover what you would probably need to do.

Users who are viewing this thread