Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have the 2019-2020 trailer camera yet?

thestuarts

Reaction score
See my post above. I cover what you would probably need to do.

I apologize. I am failing the reading comprehension test, because I can't find your post. Which post covers what I need to do?

Phil T

Reaction score
My 2019 XFQ camera plug is in the bumper. From your pictures and description, it seems like I could use the 2020 parts to add a camera connector to the bed, although I could only use one of the camera connections at a time. Is that your assessment of the wiring?

Thanks for the pictures of the 2020. My 2019 rear wiring does not have any provision to have the trailer cam in that location. I suppose you could cut the hole that shape and swing the bumper connector for the camera to that hole. I added XFQ myself
and it runs right under that area. In fact, the 7way comes up from the main harness. The hole is round, so there is no way to put that new plate there unless you cut the bed. There are only two mounting holes for the 2019 also.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures of the 2020. My 2019 rear wiring does not have any provision to have the trailer cam in that location. I suppose you could cut the hole that shape and swing the bumper connector for the camera to that hole. I added XFQ myself
and it runs right under that area. In fact, the 7way comes up from the main harness. The hole is round, so there is no way to put that new plate there unless you cut the bed. There are only two mounting holes for the 2019 also.

I just took a picture of my 2019 trailer connector in the bed. Like @Phil T said, it might be possible by adapt the 2020 plate to fit in the bed with some modifications.

2019 Plug.JPG

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 2137 View attachment 2138 View attachment 2139
Ok, So here's some pics of the #8221577OAB trailer camera.
1) camera is powered by harness thru truck connection - mtg brackets / zip ties, etc included
2) It contains several lengths of wire harness that you plug together depending on trailer length up to about 50 ft.
3) The harness connector socket is to the right of rear license plate (if you have the truck harness which is separate.
The truck wiring harness is separate; If you have the harness, your info center will show a blue screen for trailer camera until connected. I think this is more suited for bumper pullers (not 5vers) unless the truck plug is re-located near the trailer connection in the truck bed.

Can you please post the part numbers of each cable assembly?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My 2019 XFQ camera plug is in the bumper. From your pictures and description, it seems like I could use the 2020 parts to add a camera connector to the bed, although I could only use one of the camera connections at a time. Is that your assessment of the wiring?

What I see on my truck is the bed 12-pin is connected. The bumper 12-pin is not connected to anything. There's no Y-cable, etc. Just a dead plug.

I searched for the backing plate and bed cable by part number and only got a single hit on the cable at some obscure parts warehouse that didn't appear to have any stock.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to put together a list of the cable assembly part numbers for the Aux Trailer camera?

@Jimmy07 or anyone else with tech authority access able to pull them?

I'm 30 days away from our first trip and would really like to get this up and running without doing a hack job and splicing into the factory truck wires.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to put together a list of the cable assembly part numbers for the Aux Trailer camera?

@Jimmy07 or anyone else with tech authority access able to pull them?

I'm 30 days away from our first trip and would really like to get this up and running without doing a hack job and splicing into the factory truck wires.

I believe you want part 82215833AB (Genuine Mopar Trailer Camera Vehicle Prep Kit).

thestuarts

Reaction score
No,
I want the 12-pin plug and/or just the wiring harness and not the sh*tty camera. I do have the aux camera XFQ already on the truck.

I see, you want just wiring parts that are in part 82215770AB.

I do want to clarify that part 82215833AB does not contain the camera even though the picture shows it. "Prep Kit [82215833AB] does not include trailer camera (82215770AB)."

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I see, you want just wiring parts that are in part 82215770AB.

I do want to clarify that part 82215833AB does not contain the camera even though the picture shows it. "Prep Kit [82215833AB] does not include trailer camera (82215770AB)."

82215833AB is the truck wiring kit for XFQ.

1589234622816.png

82215770AB is the camera kit pictured in your part number link.

1589234668915.png

These are from actual ebay listings which I trust part number to image matches 100% more than some random google image lookup. These kits have also been discussed here and elsewhere.

I'm looking for the 12-pin connector assembly part number. the other cables would be a bonus.

I think @The HOFF also has a tech authority sub, maybe he can find them.

thestuarts

Reaction score
82215770AB is the camera kit pictured in your part number link.

I didn't post a link to any part numbers, so I'm not sure what you are referring to. You are the one who posted the picture. :)

I got part # 82215770AB from my dealership in a quote. See http://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?attachments/camera-jpg.1066/

I agree 82215833AB is the XFQ wiring kit, and 82215770AB is overpriced camera and wiring for the camera. You just want the 12-pin port connector.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
No,

I want the 12-pin plug and/or just the wiring harness and not the sh*tty camera. I do have the aux camera XFQ already on the truck.

View attachment 4466
I'm with brutal 100% on this. When my mopar cc gets here, if nobody has bought that thing, ill probably get it. You can get a15% coupon code and if I spend over 500 on my new cc, I get 100 back so all in all, win win. Anyway, if/ when i get it, ill hook it up and if its as bad as everybody sais , ill probably just bite the bullet and spend another 100 on a good camera TO PLUG into this elusive wiring harness. Also more than likely in the end game ( Since ram probably won't give us a uconnect update to leave the aux cam on), ill probably hook my furrion into my aux switch bank to leave on while driving. Or maybe ill just charge a flat fee for handing out the part # of that wire harness. :cool:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't post a link to any part numbers, so I'm not sure what you are referring to. You are the one who posted the picture. :)

I got part # 82215770AB from my dealership in a quote. See http://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?attachments/camera-jpg.1066/

I agree 82215833AB is the XFQ wiring kit, and 82215770AB is overpriced camera and wiring for the camera. You just want the 12-pin port connector.

You're right, you did not post a link, that's what came up on the part number. My apologies.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with brutal 100% on this. When my mopar cc gets here, if nobody has bought that thing, ill probably get it. You can get a15% coupon code and if I spend over 500 on my new cc, I get 100 back so all in all, win win. Anyway, if/ when i get it, ill hook it up and if its as bad as everybody sais , ill probably just bite the bullet and spend another 100 on a good camera TO PLUG into this elusive wiring harness. Also more than likely in the end game ( Since ram probably won't give us a uconnect update to leave the aux cam on), ill probably hook my furrion into my aux switch bank to leave on while driving. Or maybe ill just charge a flat fee for handing out the part # of that wire harness. :cool:

It also depends on what the cable parts separately cost. I may just buy a discounted kit and upgrade the camera. I'd have every piece of the wiring and a spare tailgate cam part. I understand it's the same part number, but when used as the aux, the image is crap.

However, all I really need is to get a video signal to the rear of my fifth wheel. I'll pick up power off the running lights.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Aside from the Mopar cam not being good quality, I'm still perplexed on why the trailer cam can't be viewed when driving at highway speeds. I don't think that's mandated by NHTSA or anything like that because I believe others have said the aftermarket stuff can be on at all time. Of course those come with their own displays and don't integrate into the truck's Uconnect/Sync, etc., systems.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
When I drove commercial, we had cameras all over that thing to watch in live time and you could change camera views while driving also and we got inspected twice a yr. It was never an issue for the last 15 yrs

mlink

Reaction score
So far, everyone has complained about the Aux Camera image, but when the same unit is used as the tailgate camera, it looks fine...??
I noticed in the kit, instead of a 45' cable option to get to the back to your 5th Wheel, they have a number of cables/connectors to assemble a cable for anything longer than a utility trailer. Has anyone thought of eliminating all those connectors by replacing the wiring with a 45' segment of CAT#6 and re-using just the first and last connector. That might help to prevent the video signal from degrading...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So far, everyone has complained about the Aux Camera image, but when the same unit is used as the tailgate camera, it looks fine...??
I noticed in the kit, instead of a 45' cable option to get to the back to your 5th Wheel, they have a number of cables/connectors to assemble a cable for anything longer than a utility trailer. Has anyone thought of eliminating all those connectors by replacing the wiring with a 45' segment of CAT#6 and re-using just the first and last connector. That might help to prevent the video signal from degrading...

When I run/build my own, I'm going to use CAT5/6 cable. I still won't use the factory camera due to limited viewing angle.

If I'm pulling cable, I'm also wiring up a reverse light to the back of the RV.

mlink

Reaction score
Possibly use STP (Shielded Twisted Pair) to minimize video interference over that long run.
I'm going to try it if my 3500 ever gets here. Ordered 02/13; finished 03/10 - still sitting in Mexico. What the???

Last edited:

Nifty07

Reaction score
Mine came with the wiring cable and It has a multi pin plug behind the number plate which was marked analogue camera. Unfortuneatly there was no information on the pin out to connect the trailer camera. Would appreciate the Pin out.

Users who are viewing this thread