Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Have Any Issues with the new HD's yet?

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I went to install a block heater cord, in the process removed turbo intake. I noticed there was oil leaking from the turbo. Is this normal?
I have 11,000 miles on the truck which is a 2109 2500.
The crankcase vent runs down from the filter and into the turbo so maybe somewhere to start. Others may have some ideas.

Lary0071

Reaction score
That's oil on the inducer side, it's not from the turbo... it's from the crankcase. It's meaningless, but if it bothers you, add a catch can on the crank case evacuation to catch and separate the oil must from the air.

The air is moving away from the camera lens, if oil were leaking in the turbo shaft area, it would not magically go upstream to be seen at the inducer. Instead it would go downstream to the manifold.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

3_Rams

Reaction score
That's oil on the inducer side, it's not from the turbo... it's from the crankcase. It's meaningless, but if it bothers you, add a catch can on the crank case evacuation to catch and separate the oil must from the air.

The air is moving away from the camera lens, if oil were leaking in the turbo shaft area, it would not magically go upstream to be seen at the inducer. Instead it would go downstream to the manifold.

Good points! And, gald that it is nothing to worry about. I was not aware that the crank case vent went back to the turbo. A catch can does seem like a good idea.

RXBoost

Reaction score
I saw the OEM 20" transforce AT tires, asked the dealer for fair credit to remove and replace with BFG AT KO2 rubber, they said that they can't remove and resell a tire. Call a tire shop.

I called my buddy at his shop, he said that he would do it, but I wouldn't like it.... he would offer $40 each the day I buy the truck. At that point, I'll stick it up and get the miserable 15k or so tread life (I'm at 8,800 and at about 50%) and I'll go buy the KO2 tires.

I had these same tires on my 2015 2500 and got 43k out of the Transforce ATs. I towed a skid loader probably 3 times per week. Not sure how your tire life is so bad. I am at 8100 miles on my 2019 with the same tires and they still look new.

Xflight29

Reaction score
My TransForce are at 17000 on a 2020 / 3500 Mega Cab and still look new and I tow most of the time. I will switch over to Michelin when needed.

Porthall

Reaction score
It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I was able to read from the OBDII using a cheap ELM327 reader ($22 BAFX) and the Torque app before I got my bypass cable and AlphaOBD up and running.

But I've slept since so I could be mistaken.

For just monitoring, I prefer using Torque Pro. There's a custom PID file available for the Cummins. Check out the thread below.

The Torque app Information in this link appears to be geared toward 4th Gen Rams. Do you know if it is valid for the 5th Gens as well?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The Torque app Information in this link appears to be geared toward 4th Gen Rams. Do you know if it is valid for the 5th Gens as well?
Much of it works. I couldn't begin to tell you specifics.

The PID is only 49 lines (over standard info). Just a quick look and the fuel rail PSI max value is probably too low...

Porthall

Reaction score
Much of it works. I couldn't begin to tell you specifics.

The PID is only 49 lines (over standard info). Just a quick look and the fuel rail PSI max value is probably too low...

Thanks for the reply. First time looking at this stuff and just wanted to make sure I'm not doing something potentially harmful to the truck.

Ian745

Reaction score
The firestone tires on my 2020 3500 are junk, took them off with less then 1000kms on them. They now are my fishing kayak stand in the garage,

biggest issue, is the alignment, when i got my new tires on, they had it for 3 hours and multiple test drives, lasted about a day, then steering wheel is about 4 inches off centre. Just enough to drive me insane, not what i expected for a 100k truck( Canuck, we pay out the ass for toys up here)

Xflight29

Reaction score
The firestone tires on my 2020 3500 are junk, took them off with less then 1000kms on them. They now are my fishing kayak stand in the garage,

biggest issue, is the alignment, when i got my new tires on, they had it for 3 hours and multiple test drives, lasted about a day, then steering wheel is about 4 inches off centre. Just enough to drive me insane, not what i expected for a 100k truck( Canuck, we pay out the ass for toys up here)
Bet you wish for your firestones back now. Switched mine out at 20,000 on my 3500 with Michelin Defender M/S and rides and corners so much nicer.

Nick

Reaction score
I was hoping between 14 and 20 they would get a different tire . No luck . SOT !

RedBull

Reaction score
My truck has only 400 miles on ODO, at around 55mph I'm noticing noise in the cabin coming from somewhere in drive train I guess, it's like a howl or whine I should say. It comes at around 52 and goes away after 58mph. I do not hear that at any other speeds. Does that mean I have a bad differ? Does anyone had similar issue?

Last edited:

dslbrnr

Reaction score
My truck has only 400 miles on ODO, at around 55mph I'm noticing noise in the cabin coming from somewhere in drive train I guess, it's like a howl or whine I should say. It comes at around 52 and goes away after 58mph. I do not hear that at any other speeds. Does that mean I have a bad differ? Does anyone had similar issue?
You didn't provide your truck details but if yours is 4WD you may be hearing the transfer case. It's a HD truck and you will hear more drivetrain noise than say a half ton or 2WD.
You always have the 100K warranty that should cover the drivetrain. Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to check all the fluid levels. My rear axle was over a quart low and the front was a half quart low.

RedBull

Reaction score
You didn't provide your truck details but if yours is 4WD you may be hearing the transfer case. It's a HD truck and you will hear more drivetrain noise than say a half ton or 2WD.
You always have the 100K warranty that should cover the drivetrain. Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to check all the fluid levels. My rear axle was over a quart low and the front was a half quart low.
Yes, it's 4X4, 6.4L 3.73, other than this particular howl at 55mph the drivetrain is pretty quiet regardless of speed or load. This noise concerns me a bit since I'm planing on using this truck for some serious towing soon. Low fluid level in a brand new truck?? Highly unlikely, but who knows.
I doubt that this is normal. I may have the dealer to take a look at it, and maybe test drive similar truck to compare.

Bags@1108

Reaction score
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has had any issues yet with their new HDs? I'm close to ordering mine and I'm little hesitant being its the first year, even though I know it isn't completely all new.
2019 2500 Tradesman with 48,000 miles on it. Bought CPO on March 5. A week in a half later had in towed back with a head gasket issue. Still at dealer. Chrysler wants it pulled apart and head measurements and other info before parts are sent to the dealer so it can be repaired.

Paul Smith

Reaction score
My 2019 RAM 3500 with 43,000 miles on it spends more time in the service department (Gene's Chrysler in Fairbanks Alaska) than any other vehicle I have owned. Mostly DEF system related. Now it has been there for 2 weeks awaiting a DEF pump that has an ETA of the end of June. Way bad.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Is it being delivered by dog sled ? 3 1/2 months how is that even possible ?

Users who are viewing this thread