Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

annoying jerking issue **update**

KTM Rider 153

Reaction score
Quick update: I got a call from my stealership 5 weeks ago, they said FCA had a fix/reprogramm they wanted to try on my truck. I took it in and they dropped the new program and said let us know if this worked. Weeeell, it didn't. My truck was the 2nd truck in Utah to get this program and it didn't work on either truck. And of course RAM and FCA are radio silent because they still have no idea how to fix this problem. So effing frustrating!!!

Nick

Reaction score
Have a hard time believing the EGR has anything to do with it . Last time
I looked I did not hav an EGR valve attached to my tranny. Propably something in the valve body .

Nick

Reaction score
Keep records . I had a 14 with a 68rfe never had a problem with it at any altitude . They can't fix they own it !

Svon89

Reaction score
Keep records . I had a 14 with a 68rfe never had a problem with it at any altitude . They can't fix they own it !
Nick, that isn’t exactly true. If you got your truck with the friends and family discount there is a document they sneak in that locks you into binding arbitration so you can’t use your states lemon law. They can drag you along and not much you can do about it.

1stnlastdodge

Reaction score
Nick, that isn’t exactly true. If you got your truck with the friends and family discount there is a document they sneak in that locks you into binding arbitration so you can’t use your states lemon law. They can drag you along and not much you can do about it.
I guess that would be like mixing business with pleasure, or doing business with family... never a good Idea! will have to check that out.

Nick

Reaction score
Didn't do that good luck hope they can fix it.

Svon89

Reaction score
Didn't do that good luck hope they can fix it.
I sold the truck yesterday and took a loss to get away from it. I started out loving my ram and grew to hate it. It wasn’t worth it to try and keep it and fight to get it repaired. I’m driving my 10 year old Chevy again and am happy with that for now. Chrysler let me down, and I learned a lot about how manufactures actually treat customers.

coltexman

Reaction score
I put a complaint into Ram about my truck for the surging issue, and got a call back 3 days later. The corporate guy assigned to my case is working with my local dealer after explaining their lack of effort and knowledge. I have a second appt with my dealer after going in their with a "not going to deal with this s**t" attitude and threatening to talk to the GM about it. Have another appt Tuesday to drop off and let them figure it out. I encourage anyone having this issue to contact RAM directly and put in a formal complaint. This might be the only way to get something done above the incompetent level of the dealerships. Hopefully if they get enough complaints they will look into it and get a service bulletin out on it. The issue with most of the dealer service groups, is they do not want to put the effort out to research or understand the issue beyond re-programming the computer and saying that should fix it. Now that everything is computer controlled you have to have a damn computer software degree to figure this s*** out. I will post whatever comes of my next appt. with the dealer.
Thing that suck is I have owned pretty much every generation of Ram 2500 Cummins and never had issues like this. Makes me want to buy another Gen 1 or 2 to be able to work on it myself.

Good luck fellas!
Would you mind sharing which dealership you worked with? I just purchased a low mile 2019 Ram 2500 diesel and experienced this issue on the way home with the truck here in Denver. I purchased it from Brandon Dodge. Going to take it out again this morning and if it continues, I'm taking it back. Thanks!

1stnlastdodge

Reaction score
Would you mind sharing which dealership you worked with? I just purchased a low mile 2019 Ram 2500 diesel and experienced this issue on the way home with the truck here in Denver. I purchased it from Brandon Dodge. Going to take it out again this morning and if it continues, I'm taking it back. Thanks!
It doesn't matter which dealership you go to in my opinion, because there are so many lazy people these days that the incompetence, and don't give a ****-please do my job for me attitude is going to happen almost everywhere! I had worse surging problems in colorado at higher elevations. I can tell you unless you send a demand letter to RAM you will only get the run around until they get a fix. My dealer wouldn't let me bring it in any more, and actually wrote on the paperwork that there is no fix at this time. So I'm going through the Lemon Law system now... I'm done.

coltexman

Reaction score
That is a serious bummer #1stnlastdodge! I'll give them one shot to make it right, otherwise I'm stopping payment on my purchase and returning it. What's your next truck going to be? Ford? GM? none?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
stopping payment will only hurt you. you'll have to go through all of the hoops that encompass the dealer networks to get anything done.

unfortunately, @1stnlastdodge has it right. too many "don't give a crap" attitudes to get any speedy resolution. always keep in mind that car mfg's are after your money. once they have it, your just another sales statistic.

good luck.

Last edited:

KTM Rider 153

Reaction score
I filed a complaint with RAM/FCA within 2 weeks of owning my brand new 2019 3500 HO Cummins/Aisin. It doesn't do any good! Non of them give a crap dude! They got your money and now you're stuck with it. I suggest talking with a lawyer and investigating the lemon laws in your state. And another thing, you might see a reply or get a message from someone on here from Ram Customer Care. Don't believe anything they say. They are only on here to blow smoke up your skirt and give you a faults sense of hope. They do nothing to help!!

1stnlastdodge

Reaction score
Inappropriate Language
I filed a complaint with RAM/FCA within 2 weeks of owning my brand new 2019 3500 HO Cummins/Aisin. It doesn't do any good! Non of them give a crap dude! They got your money and now you're stuck with it. I suggest talking with a lawyer and investigating the lemon laws in your state. And another thing, you might see a reply or get a message from someone on here from Ram Customer Care. Don't believe anything they say. They are only on here to blow smoke up your skirt and give you a faults sense of hope. They do nothing to help!!
I believe you just quoted my last few posts almost exactly! Yes Sir, Ram customer service sucks, until they are beat over the head. Then they respond with a cigarette and a "where do you want the smoke blown" [mod edit: Inappropriate Language Removed]
.. I sent a demand letter to Ram return receipt requested two weeks ago. One week later I received four emails, and a phone call asking me what I would like to do about my truck, Now I am waiting till Friday to find out what they are willing to give me. Not holding my breath. Again the smoke is pretty thick! Since then, I ran into a man that went through Texas DMV and had a check for his hands Quickly with no hassle, after he filed a lemon law case. No attorney...

Last edited by a moderator:

1stnlastdodge

Reaction score
That is a serious bummer #1stnlastdodge! I'll give them one shot to make it right, otherwise I'm stopping payment on my purchase and returning it. What's your next truck going to be? Ford? GM? none?
Whatever you do, please, please do not just stop paying on your vehicle. You will be the only looser. The truck working, or not working has nothing to do with the lender. There are way to many other options to consider without putting yourself into a pad position.

motoxer913

Reaction score
Quick update: I got a call from my stealership 5 weeks ago, they said FCA had a fix/reprogramm they wanted to try on my truck. I took it in and they dropped the new program and said let us know if this worked. Weeeell, it didn't. My truck was the 2nd truck in Utah to get this program and it didn't work on either truck. And of course RAM and FCA are radio silent because they still have no idea how to fix this problem. So effing frustrating!!!
Hey @KTM Rider 153 nice to meet you, I'm also in Utah and have been complaining about this same issue on my '19 2500 since it was brand new, it's been exactly 1 year now. I can reproduce it like clockwork, simply drive up to Snowbasin on Trappers Loop at exactly 60mph and the engine will be around 1300-1400RPM and boost will be right around 12psi and watch that baby surge up and down. This is 100% engine tuning no doubt about it. I've had it since my truck was brand new and the VB6? update they made 3 months ago claiming to improve high altitude issues made this surging WORSE! I drive this mountain pass every single day and it's really annoying. I'm tempted to get a custom tune put on the truck to solve it, but the whole reason I sold my highly modified PowerStroke was to have a stock reliable under warranty truck rather than a problem child money pit like my Ford was. Atleast my KTM300 is everything and more that I want out of a machine. We should get together and go for a ride some time!

motoxer913

Reaction score
BTW, this a somewhat common problem with turbo charged diesel's, I experienced the same thing on my 6.0 PowerStroke after installing a larger turbo, the first tune we put on it I had extremely bad surging or turbo stall or whatever you want to call it while going up steep mountain grades , the truck would almost stall it was so bad, 10x worse than my 19 cummins. It took some more work on the custom tune to get rid of it, but we finally did. If you research you'll find the same thing happening on some of the older cummins motors and probably GM and Ford as well. What's happening is the turbo is getting into a state of RPM and compression that is outside it's parameters basically and the turbo cannot maintain a steady boost. This can be solved through better tuning in software, BUT I guarantee what is happening at corporate Cummins/RAM is they are looking at emissions requirements and struggling to find a tune that removes this surging and still meets emissions regulations. The emissions systems on 2013+ trucks is a major PITA to tune around. There is nothing broken or bad on the truck, it's not going to cause reliability issues...it's just plain annoying especially at the price we pay for a new truck!
An EASY remedy to this situation is hit your - downshift button to kick it down into 5th gear and it's gone. This only happens at low RPM <1500 and 12-15 PSI boost.

mustangguy289

Reaction score
So.. I had all the recalls done on my 2019 Ram 2500 1000 miles ago. Since then I have felt a slight bucking/surging when in top gear and slow acceleration. I have also had the check engine come on 3 times with code P0204 which the dealer showed is a code for excessive EGR flow. It is at the shop now. I told the dealer I would do anything to get my original stock tune back before the recalls. I told them the recalls took it from where I loved driving the truck to hating the truck. I am currently at 19000 miles and had the recalls performed at 18,000 miles.

BTW he told me they have had 12 CP4 failures and all 12 were covered under full warranty except for a few that had aftermarket larger fuel tanks. FCA would not cover the additional cleaning fee for the larger aftermarket tanks. He also said he is seeing the CP4 failures more on the 2020's and not the 2019's.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
So.. I had all the recalls done on my 2019 Ram 2500 1000 miles ago. Since then I have felt a slight bucking/surging when in top gear and slow acceleration. I have also had the check engine come on 3 times with code P0204 which the dealer showed is a code for excessive EGR flow. It is at the shop now. I told the dealer I would do anything to get my original stock tune back before the recalls. I told them the recalls took it from where I loved driving the truck to hating the truck. I am currently at 19000 miles and had the recalls performed at 18,000 miles.

BTW he told me they have had 12 CP4 failures and all 12 were covered under full warranty except for a few that had aftermarket larger fuel tanks. FCA would not cover the additional cleaning fee for the larger aftermarket tanks. He also said he is seeing the CP4 failures more on the 2020's and not the 2019's.

There is a TSB that might help with concerns post-recall, TSB 18-059-20. Might be worth bringing it up to your dealer.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

mustangguy289

Reaction score
There is a TSB that might help with concerns post-recall, TSB 18-059-20. Might be worth bringing it up to your dealer.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Kaitlin,

Thank you for telling me that. I will have that ready when I have to take it back because they did not fix it. Would you be able to provide me a printable copy of this. I have a feeling the dealership will play dumb and tell me it doesn't exist.

They simply ran a diagnostic, cleared the code, and told me the truck was ready. I was livid. This light comes on every 100-200 miles and the fact that the dealer cleared the code then wrote that they could not replicate just totally pissed me off. This is the 3rd time the light has come on in less than 500 miles.

Last edited:

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Kaitlin,

Thank you for telling me that. I will have that ready when I have to take it back because they did not fix it. Would you be able to provide me a printable copy of this. I have a feeling the dealership will play dumb and tell me it doesn't exist.

They simply ran a diagnostic, cleared the code, and told me the truck was ready. I was livid. This light comes on every 100-200 miles and the fact that the dealer cleared the code then wrote that they could not replicate just totally pissed me off. This is the 3rd time the light has come on in less than 500 miles.

Attached is a copy of the TSB.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

1602258921133.png

Users who are viewing this thread