Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

annoying jerking issue **update**

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
If you are willing to move to Canada and dodge a moose drinking maple syrup on your way in then we have a solution for this problem. Couple things have to fall off your truck on the way in and have a few extra HP & torque added and you will never have this problem again :p

Poison Fraction

Reaction score
I just had the dealer flash my PCM with the latest updates. (March of 2021). Hopefully this corrects my issues. I had alot of idle fluctuation and tachometer bouncing.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
There is a fix for that surging problem my 2019 3500 done same thing after the vb6 recall took them a year to figure out how to but they finally fixed it I have the paper at house I will share it on here when I get home I do know it has to do with the timing on the injector pump
Yeah budy where are you? How about posting that paper??
I didn't do my VB6 recal, told them not to, but would like to complete all the recalls if they don't **** anything up, like this surging issue.

MCV

Reaction score
My surging problem has been fixed.
Problem: "surge" every 0.75 to 1.5 seconds if under a bit of load. Regardless of whether on cruise control. Surge would cause turbo boost to jump 1-4 psi each cycle. Regardless of altitude between 3500 - 7000 ft, the symptoms were unchanged.
Vehicle: 2020 Ram 3500, purchased Dec 2020 with HO & AISIN
Dealers: the truck displayed this problem from Day 1. Two dealers told me to just wait for the computer to eventually learn my driving habits. (wrong). After about 10,000 miles, I finally read all the ideas on this forum about the injector connections, the TSB for the CP4 pumps, and checking tranny fluid levels.
Solution: Took it to a 3rd dealer and requested the TSB 18-059-20 flash. Their report says they instead performed TSB 18-012-21 Rev A on June 7 2021. "Updated PCM software 524010032AG-AK". I'm interpreting that is a full software update. Seems to have entirely solved the issue. I have not noticed any obvious degradation in mileage or power - but it has eliminated the surging issue.

QCHunter

Reaction score
My surging problem has been fixed.
Problem: "surge" every 0.75 to 1.5 seconds if under a bit of load. Regardless of whether on cruise control. Surge would cause turbo boost to jump 1-4 psi each cycle. Regardless of altitude between 3500 - 7000 ft, the symptoms were unchanged.
Vehicle: 2020 Ram 3500, purchased Dec 2020 with HO & AISIN
Dealers: the truck displayed this problem from Day 1. Two dealers told me to just wait for the computer to eventually learn my driving habits. (wrong). After about 10,000 miles, I finally read all the ideas on this forum about the injector connections, the TSB for the CP4 pumps, and checking tranny fluid levels.
Solution: Took it to a 3rd dealer and requested the TSB 18-059-20 flash. Their report says they instead performed TSB 18-012-21 Rev A on June 7 2021. "Updated PCM software 524010032AG-AK". I'm interpreting that is a full software update. Seems to have entirely solved the issue. I have not noticed any obvious degradation in mileage or power - but it has eliminated the surging issue.
Are you still happy with the TSB that was performed?

MCV

Reaction score
Are you still happy with the TSB that was performed?
Yes, I'm still happy. I've driven the truck another 1000 miles without a trailer following the service. Zero surging. Then yesterday I pulled a fully loaded 40' Travel Trailer through Utah at 80 mph, then at the speed limit (mostly 65 and 75 mph) up I-70 over Vail Pass and other climbs. Zero stuttering or surging. The fuel economy wasn't great; probably averaged 10.5 mpg, often seeing real-time numbers drop to 4 or 5 mpg during the steep climbs. Perhaps that is poorer mileage than before the TSB; I cannot really recall. But the trailer was >15,000 lbs and is 13 feet tall - so it was quite the load with lots of wind resistance. Some have claimed that TSB detunes the turbo deisel engine to solve the problem. I can't tell for certain. But for me, eliminating that stupid surge every second is clearly worth it, even if it may have lost power or mileage. I still have plenty of power to pass anything on the road - even with a 15k trailer, and it seems better on the engine than allowing that turbo to oscillate like before the TSB.

Users who are viewing this thread