Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

annoying jerking issue **update**

fao1

Reaction score
transmisson is kind of doing a constant jerking motion when applying steady light throttle going up a little hill.
it occur at 40 to 50mph in 5 and 6th tc lock .

dealers says its because grid heater draw amp while running down the road and that everything was ok but i found that grid heater stop working at about 15-20mph so doesnt make sense!

did my reaserch and everything that i found was about 99 to 03 2ndgen was doing the exact same thing .
there wasnt alot of solution because the probleme seem to be an ``electrical ghost``:eek::D that trigger somthing in the trans valvebody that make TC lock and unlock as i understand , So the remedy was 1st change battery 2nd check ground 3rd your ****ed lol.

since then is there any of you that have this jerking motion and found a solution ? and am i the only one having this?

Last edited:

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
yup. I don't notice it so much here in central texas, but it's painfully obvious when at altitude during my trip to the rockies. it really surges pretty bad. my buddy's '19 limited does the same thing. pulling a trailer up there amplifies it as well.

D

Deleted member 80

I have no time in a 68RFE, so no help there. Grid heaters? LOL, your dealer is an idiot. You can disconnect the grid heater lead at the relay and show him as much.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
You need to find a dealer that actually knows something about your truck and doesn't have a pocket full of crackpot theories.

fao1

Reaction score
hard to find by here ! The 2 Nearest are at 650km so not alot of choice since im in a remote area! No dealer here at home! I will unplug it and show him what its all about lol !

fao1

Reaction score
You need to find a dealer that actually knows something about your truck and doesn't have a pocket full of crackpot theories.

I tought about alttitude too since my dealer is at sea level and i cant duplicate the phenomen and at home we are almost at 3000ft and does it almost as i wants to !

fao1

Reaction score
Talk to my dealer today ! There was a missunderstood he thought it was at idle so that would explain the grid heater reason!

He told me the last report he got seem to match and resolve some symptom . He tink it might have something to do with my egr valve but normally there is a procedure from dodge to clean them but for the 2019 ram its a replacing procedure no cleaning so they want me to try the new flash and we will go from there !

ColoradoKen

Reaction score
I have a 2019 and it has a surging problem that occurs in either 5th or 6th gear. It seems to surge at lower RPMs and lower boost levels 5-9psi. Had it re-tuned at the dealer but didnt fix the problem. Dealerships hear have no clue how to fix. Talked to a local performance Diesel shop and they figured it is a trans tuning problem. Any other info on this out there?

fao1

Reaction score
Mine is between 10to14psi and its doing it more and more!
When in 4x4 its really awfull its doing it every time i hit the throttle down the road.

Dealer say fca want them to try on a brand new truck , but it wasnt doing it since new anyway !
Its gonna be a long ride with that dealer lol!

I unplugged the egr valve and symptom goes away and also idle surging in warm up goes away !

fao1

Reaction score
I dont know for sure because i think when you unplug egr valve you go in limpmode and you loose 40hp So the truck need less fuel ,,less boost, there are less stress on driveline etc might fool us.

Im new to diesel so i dont really know alot about but could a bad injector can cause all that ****:
Idle surging +-300rpm!
Jerking with light throttle load!
Excessive regen !

So when i unplug the egr valve it block excesive soot from a bad injector.
Or
A crack egr cooler sticking the valve but i didnt check if im missing preston im gonna check that tomorrow and i will try to clean the maf sensor to see if it help

Reading on my cts2 when its happening
Boost 4psi drop
Fuel rail pressure 1500psi drop
Egrvalve opening 15%
Trans line pressure 15 psi drop
APP stay the same
Throtttle valve stay the same
Trans lockup stay the same" the gauge might not be quick enough to display "
Vgt 15% closing!

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
So I got my first case of the ‘’flutters’’ today. Had just turned left after stopped at a hiway intersection and sped-up to pass a big truck and it starts doing the surge/herky jerky. It seemed to not want to spool-up but when it reached about 60 mph it smoothed out and ran fine for another couple hours. Man did it feel strange.

ColoradoKen

Reaction score
I put a complaint into Ram about my truck for the surging issue, and got a call back 3 days later. The corporate guy assigned to my case is working with my local dealer after explaining their lack of effort and knowledge. I have a second appt with my dealer after going in their with a "not going to deal with this s**t" attitude and threatening to talk to the GM about it. Have another appt Tuesday to drop off and let them figure it out. I encourage anyone having this issue to contact RAM directly and put in a formal complaint. This might be the only way to get something done above the incompetent level of the dealerships. Hopefully if they get enough complaints they will look into it and get a service bulletin out on it. The issue with most of the dealer service groups, is they do not want to put the effort out to research or understand the issue beyond re-programming the computer and saying that should fix it. Now that everything is computer controlled you have to have a damn computer software degree to figure this s*** out. I will post whatever comes of my next appt. with the dealer.
Thing that suck is I have owned pretty much every generation of Ram 2500 Cummins and never had issues like this. Makes me want to buy another Gen 1 or 2 to be able to work on it myself.

Good luck fellas!

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I put a complaint into Ram about my truck for the surging issue, and got a call back 3 days later. The corporate guy assigned to my case is working with my local dealer after explaining their lack of effort and knowledge. I have a second appt with my dealer after going in their with a "not going to deal with this s**t" attitude and threatening to talk to the GM about it. Have another appt Tuesday to drop off and let them figure it out. I encourage anyone having this issue to contact RAM directly and put in a formal complaint. This might be the only way to get something done above the incompetent level of the dealerships. Hopefully if they get enough complaints they will look into it and get a service bulletin out on it. The issue with most of the dealer service groups, is they do not want to put the effort out to research or understand the issue beyond re-programming the computer and saying that should fix it. Now that everything is computer controlled you have to have a damn computer software degree to figure this s*** out. I will post whatever comes of my next appt. with the dealer.
Thing that suck is I have owned pretty much every generation of Ram 2500 Cummins and never had issues like this. Makes me want to buy another Gen 1 or 2 to be able to work on it myself.

Good luck fellas!
Thanks for trying so hard. At least your efforts will hopefully help others :)

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
So I got my first case of the ‘’flutters’’ today. Had just turned left after stopped at a hiway intersection and sped-up to pass a big truck and it starts doing the surge/herky jerky. It seemed to not want to spool-up but when it reached about 60 mph it smoothed out and ran fine for another couple hours. Man did it feel strange.

Hello Great White North Eh,
We are happy to hear your concern seemed to have solved itself. Should this return in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!
Laura
RamCares

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Ya it makes me really wonder if anyone at ‘’Ram sort of cares’’ actually reads are concerned or are they just thumbing through it while checking their Facebook!

Users who are viewing this thread