Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Always on Camera Solution - NAViKS

Skooter76

Reaction score
Mine still randomly enables the turn signal cameras which I don't like.

I really need to call NAViKS about this issue...
Mine have been random all along, with or without Naviks. They haven't worked for quite awhile until this past weekend when it was cloudy, rain and fog... generally darker skies. I'm beginning to wonder if they only work with the headlights full on with the wipers, not DRLs. I haven't tried it yet though.

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I finally got around to installing mine today now I can't get the cameras to come back (just blue screen that says camera system unavailable)
I had the batteries unhooked when I installed the Naviks and then rehooked them and after 3 hours and several times starting the truck and cycling the key still the same screen.
I unhooked the batteries again and left them unhooked for about an hour then hooked them back up and after 2 more hours and several cycles still the blue screen and "Camera System unavailable" all the other functions of the radio seem to be working.
has anyone had any issues getting the camera system back?

Phil T

Reaction score
It takes a long time. Make sure you start the truck. It could be a couple of days or just overnight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Atty

Reaction score
I haven't done mine yet, but I'd check the connections are are installed properly and if they look good then I'd remove the NAVIKS unit and see if you can get it working as standard again. That will at least tell you whether it's the unit or not.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Removing power from the radio will cause some features to take many key cycles and/or overnight to return.

Sent from my work avoidance device

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
Patience Grasshopper!!!
Forget the 30 mins mentioned in the Naviks literature for the Camera System to start working again!
After letting it set overnight I started the truck up this morning and everything works as it supposed to..

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
One of the many things I still have left to install. Glad to read about this. I would have been thinking I messed something up.

MikeXM

Reaction score
I'll finally install it next week. So before I do all the work, is the unit (from the group buy) in need of an update or it's still good to go?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll finally install it next week. So before I do all the work, is the unit (from the group buy) in need of an update or it's still good to go?

I keep meaning to call NAViKS and ask them WTF mine keeps enabling turn signal cameras randomly.

Super annoying because I don't like the feature and the only way I've found to toggle it back off is the 10-second screen off hold.

Just too many other things going on to boil to the top of my list but if you're feeling froggy, you might call them and ask them why it does this. I suspect it's not isolated to my setup.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
I keep meaning to call NAViKS and ask them WTF mine keeps enabling turn signal cameras randomly.

Super annoying because I don't like the feature and the only way I've found to toggle it back off is the 10-second screen off hold.

Just too many other things going on to boil to the top of my list but if you're feeling froggy, you might call them and ask them why it does this. I suspect it's not isolated to my setup.

Mine does the random turn signals as well.

And if I enable the NAV search while driving, it will lock out the mad from showing your current position on the road. Have to turn function off with left steering radio button and the map comes back to current location. Didn't realize that was causing it at first until I put 2 and 2 together.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine does the random turn signals as well.

And if I enable the NAV search while driving, it will lock out the mad from showing your current position on the road. Have to turn function off with left steering radio button and the map comes back to current location. Didn't realize that was causing it at first until I put 2 and 2 together.

That is by design and covered in @RBarrett instructions. It has to fool the NAV into thinking you're going 0MPH.

Ctate

Reaction score
RBarret, thank you for all of the leg work on this! I just found this thread and am new to this forum. I bought a 21 3500 HO Laramie with the 12in and the only thing I dont like about the truck is what's fixed here! I'm super appreciative of this information! Is the deal still valid to forum members or has that long expired?

Brutal HO, you seem to have knowledge about the rv cameras and I'm looking for a little clarification about what I read throughout this thread . Do you know if I can buy a voyager or whatever camera and hook it to the rams camera plug and have it displayed on the 12in? Or does it have to be wired to the Naviks module to show on the 12in? I'd prefer wireless but the trailer is 44ft but I'd so wired if that's the only option. I plan to contact rvcams but would like to get an idea before I call them. Thanks guys.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
RBarret, thank you for all of the leg work on this! I just found this thread and am new to this forum. I bought a 21 3500 HO Laramie with the 12in and the only thing I dont like about the truck is what's fixed here! I'm super appreciative of this information! Is the deal still valid to forum members or has that long expired?

Brutal HO, you seem to have knowledge about the rv cameras and I'm looking for a little clarification about what I read throughout this thread . Do you know if I can buy a voyager or whatever camera and hook it to the rams camera plug and have it displayed on the 12in? Or does it have to be wired to the Naviks module to show on the 12in? I'd prefer wireless but the trailer is 44ft but I'd so wired if that's the only option. I plan to contact rvcams but would like to get an idea before I call them. Thanks guys.

With the factory wired camera prep, you have to build or have built a custom harness to bring video to the factory head unit. I bought a Ford harness and wired a standard (sony?) 4-pin DIN cable connection/wiring. It's possible I suppose to build a kit that would connect to a (dedicated) wireless receiver/transmitter (voyager has one for $$$). I considered it but ended up wired.

Adding NAViKS gets you the always on AND RCA video jacks. You could more easily add a wireless transmitter/receiver with this and simply plug the video output into the NAViKS video input(s).

Ctate

Reaction score
Got it. What has been working for you guys as an observation camera since the thread started?
With the factory wired camera prep, you have to build or have built a custom harness to bring video to the factory head unit. I bought a Ford harness and wired a standard (sony?) 4-pin DIN cable connection/wiring. It's possible I suppose to build a kit that would connect to a (dedicated) wireless receiver/transmitter (voyager has one for $$$). I considered it but ended up wired.

Adding NAViKS gets you the always on AND RCA video jacks. You could more easily add a wireless transmitter/receiver with this and simply plug the video output into the NAViKS video input(s).
Thank you, sir. I'll probably go the rca route.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Got it. What has been working for you guys as an observation camera since the thread started?

Thank you, sir. I'll probably go the rca route.

I'm currently using the Brand Motion camera but am NOT pleased with it. Claimed 90° vertical view is a lie.

Should have stuck with rvcams good 90° vertical view camera as I originally intended.

Maybe @Phil T has a better suggestion.

Ctate

Reaction score
I'm currently using the Brand Motion camera but am NOT pleased with it. Claimed 90° vertical view is a lie.

Should have stuck with rvcams good 90° vertical view camera as I originally intended.

Maybe @Phil T has a better suggestion.
Do you have a link to the one your talking about from rvcams? This is the one that hooks up to the rca ports?

Ctate

Reaction score
Ok, thanks! Sorry for the questions but I have one more if you don't mind. So id have to wire the 65' cord that come with the camera through the truck and to the back of the radio to hook up to the rca inputs?

Users who are viewing this thread