Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternate Gate release? critter chewed wires

Fourhoofs

Reaction score
Bad day. A varmit chewed through wires inside the gate above the lic plate. Now I can't lower the gate with the key fob, handle on gate or inside the cockpit. What makes it particularly an issue is I have a triple fold hard-top that can only be flipped from inside so I am locked out of the bed. I can see two frayed wires protruding from the gate bottom above the lic plate. White and black however the black is now only insulation, the conductors are not there. Very limited access feeling under the gate so no luck in pulling down the wiring harness. So to keep from demolishing the triple fold lid is there a way to directly power the gate solenoid actuators? can a bit be flipped from the ObD II scanner connector in the drivers foot well? Any suggestions for bypassing and/or hot wiring would be greatly appreciated. D%$# critters!

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
If you remove the spare tire, can you access this connector on the plastic plate that transfers the wiring from the tailgate to the chassis?
(This is a pic of it removed with the tailgate open just for an example)
D1D927B8-4A50-4F7D-8B43-82096FD8CC4A.jpeg

Fourhoofs

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try this but since there is an interrupt of wiring inside the tailgate itself I would need to identity the pin or couple of pins in the chassis side of this harness connector to power the gate locks so I can open the gate itself. Would this be the case?

Fourhoofs

Reaction score
also are the gate locking pins and their associated 12V solenoids in the upper part of the bed fenders or are they in the gate itself on each side?

Fourhoofs

Reaction score
Sorry for all the follow ups but thinking about the wires being chewed inside the gate and the back up camera not working I understand the one inner gate harness might be chewed up. But Why wouldn't the key fob open the gate as it bypasses the manual lever wiring through another circuit than the tailgate? Maybe I have a blown fuse and a fried critter(hopefully). Checking that too.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try this but since there is an interrupt of wiring inside the tailgate itself I would need to identity the pin or couple of pins in the chassis side of this harness connector to power the gate locks so I can open the gate itself. Would this be the case?
That’s the idea (power to tan/yellow, ground to black). But, if the wires are broken inside the tailgate like pictured below, you’re pretty much screwed.
The electronic latches are mounted on the sides of the tailgate from inside. You basically need to get to the tailgate access panel.
2687B4B5-E82B-460F-92A7-C4A3E4635D09.jpeg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Sorry for all the follow ups but thinking about the wires being chewed inside the gate and the back up camera not working I understand the one inner gate harness might be chewed up. But Why wouldn't the key fob open the gate as it bypasses the manual lever wiring through another circuit than the tailgate? Maybe I have a blown fuse and a fried critter(hopefully). Checking that too.
There is no manual release mechanism at all. The only way the latches release is by electric pulse sent from the body computer, whether it’s via the fob, tailgate switch, or overhead button.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Now the question of which costs more the gate or the cover unfortunately

Fourhoofs

Reaction score
Sounds like a choice between the BakFLip tonneau cover at $1100 or tailgate plus labor. I'm getting the truck back from the dealer and will take my saw to the cover. I appreciate the help here. Was hoping the latch solenoids were in the body. Cheers.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sounds like a choice between the BakFLip tonneau cover at $1100 or tailgate plus labor. I'm getting the truck back from the dealer and will take my saw to the cover. I appreciate the help here. Was hoping the latch solenoids were in the body. Cheers.
Try prying the cover open it may rip the little screws holding the latches out of the hard cover but then atleast you can re screw em in later with bigger screws… worth a try anyway at this point

Fourhoofs

Reaction score
I was successful breaking into the bakflip tonneau using a trim tool wedge, lifting the rear edge on top of the gate enough to fish a bent coat hanger to grab the release cable and Ah HA ! it snapped open. Nothing broken. Not done yet tho. I flipped the lid back. removed the 6-7 torx screws on the inside panel of the gate to get to the inside but only opens up to the top half. The critter chew area is in the lower tailgate section not accessable from this upper inside panel. I can see the tailgate lock actuators on each top corner but don't know how to release them mechanically to lower the gate to get full access to the lower end. Wow such a process for a stupid critter issue. I was thinking to jumper 12V to the wires to the actuators but am wary of that since I would have to guess what wires. So now I'm left with inadequate inside access of a locked gate. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. How to get the actuators to release the gate.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I was successful breaking into the bakflip tonneau using a trim tool wedge, lifting the rear edge on top of the gate enough to fish a bent coat hanger to grab the release cable and Ah HA ! it snapped open. Nothing broken. Not done yet tho. I flipped the lid back. removed the 6-7 torx screws on the inside panel of the gate to get to the inside but only opens up to the top half. The critter chew area is in the lower tailgate section not accessable from this upper inside panel. I can see the tailgate lock actuators on each top corner but don't know how to release them mechanically to lower the gate to get full access to the lower end. Wow such a process for a stupid critter issue. I was thinking to jumper 12V to the wires to the actuators but am wary of that since I would have to guess what wires. So now I'm left with inadequate inside access of a locked gate. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. How to get the actuators to release the gate.
It should not matter what side goes what polarity as its just a coil to my understanding

Fourhoofs

Reaction score
I just viewed the video jetrinka showed. (Thank you). I will see if I can locate the mechanical release tabs. Stay tuned. If mine has these tabs and gets the gate down that is a good thing but not the end game. Just puts me in the red zone before I punt and go to a dealer.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
If you have the access panel off, now you don’t need to apply power to the actuators. You should be able to grab the plastic release tab on the latch and manually flip it on each side.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
After that, just pull the whole tailgate harness out, disassemble the harness and repair it.

Fourhoofs

Reaction score
Yep, will try unlatching them when I get home. The camera lead is chewed too. It might be coax and if so, will it be repairable. I see some remnants of foil shielding.

Users who are viewing this thread