Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternate Gate release? critter chewed wires

Fourhoofs

Reaction score
Tried the cheap plastic levers on the actuators. Rotated them. Zero affect on the locks. One lever just popped off the press fit collars and is loose in my hand. Can't snap it back in. so I'm going in the wrong direction here. The right latch rotated the same way and again zero result in unlatching. I'm wondering if power is needed to have them unlatch even though the video showed no power to unlatch. I 'm pretty much fed up trying anything further with the exception of jumpering 12VDC to each one. As you can probably read I am frustrated with this whole process. I started to remove the top lid of the gate to look down on the actuators but after removing the plastic fittings on the inside there are larger fittings in the top so I was near to make further damage. Maybe a body shop is the best solution. UGH. If I find that critter.....

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Tried the cheap plastic levers on the actuators. Rotated them. Zero affect on the locks. One lever just popped off the press fit collars and is loose in my hand. Can't snap it back in. so I'm going in the wrong direction here. The right latch rotated the same way and again zero result in unlatching. I'm wondering if power is needed to have them unlatch even though the video showed no power to unlatch. I 'm pretty much fed up trying anything further with the exception of jumpering 12VDC to each one. As you can probably read I am frustrated with this whole process. I started to remove the top lid of the gate to look down on the actuators but after removing the plastic fittings on the inside there are larger fittings in the top so I was near to make further damage. Maybe a body shop is the best solution. UGH. If I find that critter.....
If you really want to remove the trim from the top of the tailgate, you will want to do so from inside that access panel. The clips are VERY brittle and unless you gently massage them out from inside the gate you're sure to break most if not all of them. Obviously that is a much easier task when the tailgate is already open than trying to do it while still closed.

Fourhoofs

Reaction score
Thanks for that advice. Didn't think of going to the inside to release them. You are right they are very difficult to pry up. I'd rather wait for the top trim removal as a last resort given that process. I may try to jumper the locks with 12 v and see what happens.

Fourhoofs

Reaction score
OK here is the summary and status. Got to the inside with a coathanger, jumped a 12 volt drill battery directly to the inside of the gate lock connector, and the gate popped open. I removed the gate, ordered a new wire harness but decided to do a temp fix. with a few tools and working with literally with 1" remaining shards of wire not chewed I soldered wire patches but not the camera coax . There actually is only three wires insode the harness, Black, Yellow and Green/WHite . Green white was left whole so I epaired the black and yellow. the gate is back in and works. There was literally no one to take this to. The harness with camera coax is due in a few days. That will be cluster I'm sure to put in. Amazing only 3 wires inside the harness. Thanks all for the advice throughout this. Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 6.11.43 PM.png

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
OK here is the summary and status. Got to the inside with a coathanger, jumped a 12 volt drill battery directly to the inside of the gate lock connector, and the gate popped open. I removed the gate, ordered a new wire harness but decided to do a temp fix. with a few tools and working with literally with 1" remaining shards of wire not chewed I soldered wire patches but not the camera coax . There actually is only three wires insode the harness, Black, Yellow and Green/WHite . Green white was left whole so I epaired the black and yellow. the gate is back in and works. There was literally no one to take this to. The harness with camera coax is due in a few days. That will be cluster I'm sure to put in. Amazing only 3 wires inside the harness. Thanks all for the advice throughout this. View attachment 43541
Nice job. Glad you got it headed in the right direction. Also, Looks like we’re neighbors.

jetrinka

Reaction score
OK here is the summary and status. Got to the inside with a coathanger, jumped a 12 volt drill battery directly to the inside of the gate lock connector, and the gate popped open. I removed the gate, ordered a new wire harness but decided to do a temp fix. with a few tools and working with literally with 1" remaining shards of wire not chewed I soldered wire patches but not the camera coax . There actually is only three wires insode the harness, Black, Yellow and Green/WHite . Green white was left whole so I epaired the black and yellow. the gate is back in and works. There was literally no one to take this to. The harness with camera coax is due in a few days. That will be cluster I'm sure to put in. Amazing only 3 wires inside the harness. Thanks all for the advice throughout this. View attachment 43541
Glad you got it figured out! Mice are horrible....

ClawSS

Reaction score
Mice are terrible. I have bird problems. Damn things eat the rubber off the seals and poo all over. I finally got a few after a small concealed hunting excursion in my backyard.
Building a bigger detached garage next and hope mice don't become a new issue. I have plenty of cats (lazy SOBs tho).

Fourhoofs

Reaction score
Its amazing how they or it targeted the plastic harness cover, above and behind the lic plate then actually ate or at least chewed off a 1" gap of wires. Years ago in another location critters went above my RV gas tank and chewed through the fuel feed hose to the generator. Had to drop the tank to repair. Insurance paid the $800 job. Others nested in my tractor engine air intake during the winter. So they are out there, anywhere.

Fourhoofs

Reaction score
OK I'm back. Got the new harness (they call it a jumper wire). Need advice on how to remove the tailgate release handle assembly. I removed two 10mm nuts from what I thought was the only mechanical connection of the handle assembly to the tailgate body, but not. I get the assembly to a point where it is loose but not to a point where it drops out. I dont want to force anything or break it cause I'm so close to the end of this cluster. All I get on utube is mechanical release handle replacements of older years. Mine of course has a camera and a release switch to so no mechanics. One connector is hidden inside so the release handle needs to be dropped down for access. Thanks in advance for your valuable advice as usual .

Fourhoofs

Reaction score
Got
OK I'm back. Got the new harness (they call it a jumper wire). Need advice on how to remove the tailgate release handle assembly. I removed two 10mm nuts from what I thought was the only mechanical connection of the handle assembly to the tailgate body, but not. I get the assembly to a point where it is loose but not to a point where it drops out. I dont want to force anything or break it cause I'm so close to the end of this cluster. All I get on utube is mechanical release handle replacements of older years. Mine of course has a camera and a release switch to so no mechanics. One connector is hidden inside so the release handle needs to be dropped down for access. Thanks in advance for your valuable advice as usual .
Got it to drop down. Two small tabs on the top side pushed in and it drops out. 90% there.

Users who are viewing this thread