Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

whitexc

Reaction score
Silly question.....I have a vag com cable I use to connect my laptop to my Subaru. Would this cable work with alpha?

Sent from my semi-smart telephonic device

sstoner911

Reaction score
Silly question.....I have a vag com cable I use to connect my laptop to my Subaru. Would this cable work with alpha?

I don't think it will... You need a security by pass cable...not sure if Alpha connects vis USB?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I think I used my vag com it once long ago on my 04.5 as a generic reader but have never tried on the 2020. It will do nothing as a bypass cable, it's built for vag cars.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it will... You need a security by pass cable...not sure if Alpha connects vis USB?

You can use a USB OBD dongle with AlfaOBD.

The means by which you connect your Android or Windows PC to OBD doesn't matter much. The OBD device still needs the bypass cable.

whitexc

Reaction score
So we are thinking it will or will not work?

I would love to play around with it and at least lower that stupid TPMS threshold.

sstoner911

Reaction score
So we are thinking it will or will not work?

I would love to play around with it and at least lower that stupid TPMS threshold.

Sounds like it will provided you also have a security bypass cable.

PMHQ

Reaction score
I just got done adjusting my TPMS which was super easy! I am excited about that! I also did the tire size which was a bit frustrating and I had to go through it a couple of times.... The ABS and BRAKE lights kept blinking even though I went through the instructions a couple of times....Well, at the end of the instructions it said that I MAY need to go to the ENGINE section and clear the codes there also.....I did that and it got rid of the BRAKE and ABS lights....I took it for a spin and it seemed to drive just fine...I have not confirmed the actual vehicle speed with the inputs that I have made yet, but I doubt it is very far off the tires were 36.77in and that equated to 2933mm....I hope that I did it correctly as far as those fault codes and blinking lights! I appreciate you guys so much for helping out, I wish I could buy you all a beer!

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Did you measure the tire while it was mounted on the truck and sitting on the ground?

Some say to measure from the ground up to the center of the hub, then double that to get your measurment.
Some, like me, made a mark on the ground and tire, rolled forward 1 revolution and marked the ground, then measured between the Mark's. That's probably the most accurate.

PMHQ

Reaction score
Did you measure the tire while it was mounted on the truck and sitting on the ground?

Some say to measure from the ground up to the center of the hub, then double that to get your measurment.
Some, like me, made a mark on the ground and tire, rolled forward 1 revolution and marked the ground, then measured between the Mark's. That's probably the most accurate.
I got the measurement of the tire 36.77 inches and converted the circumference to MM....That was my baseline 2933MM. I may need to adjust again---We shall see!

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
You need to measure the actual tire. I did the same, went with what BFG said at 34.5".
When I measured exactly what it covers when rolled and converted back to Dia from circumfrence, I came up with 33.5"
Speedometer is more accurate now. When I used BFGs number, I was off by several MPH and measured almost 1/10 of a mile off on the odometer reading compared to a measured mile.

PMHQ

Reaction score
You need to measure the actual tire. I did the same, went with what BFG said at 34.5".
When I measured exactly what it covers when rolled and converted back to Dia from circumfrence, I came up with 33.5"
Speedometer is more accurate now. When I used BFGs number, I was off by several MPH and measured almost 1/10 of a mile off on the odometer reading compared to a measured mile.
Now I need to figure out the Math ----I am going 66mph and the speedo says 70----So I need to figure out how much to add or take away from the original number---which is about 6% I think....Now do I add 6% to the 2933MM or Take it away from 2933MM??

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
you need to take it away.

Easiest way to get the correct number is what I posted above of measuring how far the tire actually rolls (circumference) in one revolution, then convert the inches to MM

PMHQ

Reaction score
you need to take it away.

Easiest way to get the correct number is what I posted above of measuring how far the tire actually rolls (circumference) in one revolution, then convert the inches to MM
I had already set the numbers before you told me your method...Now I have an accurate number I can dial it in, but if I would have seen your post before I changed everything, I would have done it the way you suggested. I appreciate all of you guys help!

QCHunter

Reaction score
I have a chrome book for a computer, it is windows based from what I’ve seen but I have had issues with other programs because it’s a chrome book and not a laptop.

Has anyone used the windows version of AlfaObd on a Chrome book?

Christofo

Reaction score
I have a chrome book for a computer, it is windows based from what I’ve seen but I have had issues with other programs because it’s a chrome book and not a laptop.

Has anyone used the windows version of AlfaObd on a Chrome book?
It's free to download and try but if it's a true Chromebook it's not going to work.

owdiss78

Reaction score
Does anyone know with alfaobd turn on and off the engine break? Reason for asking is my woman’s dad just got a 2021 2500 Laramie it was a construction company has 15,000 miles and when you try to turn on it says it’s been disabled. Just seeing if that is something that can be turned back on with alfa? Thanks in advance

Christofo

Reaction score
I disagree.

AlfaOBD should run on a Chromebook. Many have done so in the past.
Sure - the android version will work.

He specifically said:

"Has anyone used the windows version of AlfaObd on a Chrome book?"

The windows version will not work natively.

QCHunter

Reaction score
Sure - the android version will work.

He specifically said:

"Has anyone used the windows version of AlfaObd on a Chrome book?"

The windows version will not work natively.I
I assumed I needed the Windows version but it sounds like the Android version will work with the Chrome book.

I’ll give the free demo a shot. If it works then I should be good to go.

Thanks

TLITT6981

Reaction score
Just got my 2022 Cummins in , I have Android fire tablet with Alfa obd to my understanding I need the security bypass cable is this correct ? And if so can someone point me to a good one ?

Users who are viewing this thread