Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Cat Back exhaust systems ?

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
I hope this is in the right forum spot - Has anyone out there installed an aftermarket cat back exhaust system on their Hemi ? Magnaflow has one available but man is it pricey, $958 !! I emailed Borla and they said in 2 - 8 weeks and theirs will be out. I guess it must be different than those made for 2018 year model. I’m looking for something to help unsmother it. Let me know if you’ve made changes to the exhaust and how you like it. Thanks for replying. Jim

EDIT - I should have asked in the OP if you’ve noticed a “seat of the pants” difference or done testing to see if there’s an actual horsepower (HP) increase. Talking with the guys at the Trick Truck store their opinion was cold air intake combined with exhaust system increases airflow and lightens the truck which they thought will gain a few more HP but it isn’t noticeable. They did say none of them have actually done it to their own trucks so they were hypothesizing.

Last edited:

khalua80

Reaction score
I just installed the Borla 140801BC Catback on my 2020 no issues whatsoever in my driveway even tho they say its for 14-18 nothing underneath as far as exhaust has changed. Looks and sounds great

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Congrats on completing the job. Any chance I can talk you into posting some video or audio ? It always nice to hear from a real guy who’s done the job and can give insight.

D

Deleted member 80

My buddy had a Flowmaster system installed, but thought it was too loud. He went back to stock, and it's sitting in his shed. I don't know what series mufflers they are, but I can try to find out. He'll be selling it.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
I believe Flowmaster only makes one type and it's very loud with a 50 series maybe muffler? American Thunder is the name of the system. They have a few videos on Youtube. I was told by the boss here that my next truck can't have loud exhaust because every morning it wakes my kids up when I go to work. haha

khalua80

Reaction score
Congrats on completing the job. Any chance I can talk you into posting some video or audio ? It always nice to hear from a real guy who’s done the job and can give insight.
Sure I should be able to have something up this week

dtsequeira

Reaction score
I recently put on a Gibson Cat back exhaust. The exhaust sounds great but there is a drone when it kicks into 4 cylinder mode. It definitely looks much better than the stock exhaust.

Attachments

• 25809CD7-01F8-44DB-8CAA-B674387D63E0.jpeg
    25809CD7-01F8-44DB-8CAA-B674387D63E0.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 1C309E7D-8625-4055-B5A3-2C637E23A9B4.jpeg
    1C309E7D-8625-4055-B5A3-2C637E23A9B4.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 147

Squatch

Reaction score
Nothing will piss you off more than a stubborn down tube clamp off a turbo, so don’t worry, without that to do it’s a cake walk. Just get all the pieces mocked up before you really bolt everything tight.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Nothing will piss you off more than a stubborn down tube clamp off a turbo, so don’t worry, without that to do it’s a cake walk. Just get all the pieces mocked up before you really bolt everything tight.
Thanks for the info, fortunately, or unfortunately depends on how you see it, don’t have the turbo to contend with on this one. I opted for the hemi in this truck with what seems like an unnecessarily large muffler. Seems simple enough, a couple clamps and twist it out. The nuts on the clamps aren’t rusted solid yet so hopefully only a couple skinned knuckles. Of course anything tougher and... one slip with the grinder or sawzall I’ll be off to the ER for some stitches and super glue.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
I posted in another thread but wanted to post here too. I didn’t go all in with cat back but did install a Magnaflow “Direct fit” muffler, part 19493, on my 2500. I don‘t think it’ll add horsepower but definitely sounds A LOT better. Fairly easy install, the trick is to spray the hanger bushings liberally with WD40 before you try and pry them off...AND make sure you wear eye protection because WD40 burns a little but the upside is my right eye moves a little faster than my left one !!! The short sledge hammer was the tool of choice. It went on MUCH easier than it came off. The Magnaflow is MUCH lighter by 21 lbs which probably isn’t much of a gain since I’m guessing it’s offset by the airbags and onboard compressor I installed a couple weeks back.

I included a link to the YouTube video below which has video of the sound difference. FWIW it’s my first YouTube video and I don’t know what I’m doing so...

BF3D04C3-A241-474B-A0F8-D7A33CC63CDD.jpeg0AA0B9A7-2CC6-4A36-9BDA-8956CFB579E3.jpegF29B4EA1-32D3-477B-8F0A-3F173BE9E61A.jpegBB3199A1-9FED-4B8C-B8B7-7E6F3C1E9841.jpeg

Last edited:

Hstone556

Reaction score
I ordered the MBRP 4" cat back last night. Look forward to getting it installed because there is only one video of it and its MBRP's. With a coupon code, it was $410 shipped. Excited to get rid of that huge muffler and resonator setup.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
I ordered the MBRP 4" cat back last night. Look forward to getting it installed because there is only one video of it and its MBRP's. With a coupon code, it was $410 shipped. Excited to get rid of that huge muffler and resonator setup.
Post some pics/video of how it turns out.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I'm currently considering the Magnaflow @Kimo7 picked up with an aftermarket resonator like this ($70 or so)
Looking at the catback from Magnaflow, it appears it is basically what they did.

1595430499607.png

Users who are viewing this thread