Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AEV suspension discussion thread

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

Toyotaguy

Reaction score
Has anyone seen how the new bilstein 8100 shocks perform on the prospectors? A work colleague of mine just got an prospector xl with the 8100 series shocks and the shocks themselves look impressive even though they’re surrounded by a bunch of drop brackets, not sure how they actually work off road though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Wow, you guys were right after all!

Check out the new 2023 Sierra 1500 AT4X AEV Edition with Carli and Thuren things and Beaver springs. They come from the factory with no front anti-sway bar either. Hahahaha, just kidding. It's just another OEM manufacturer using AEV components. ;)

“Our customers want an uncompromising combination of on-road technology and off-road capability. Leveraging GMC’s unwavering dedication to providing premium trucks and American Expedition Vehicle’s expertise in engineering and integrating performance-driven parts and accessories, this truck provides extreme capability, technology and comfort.” said GMC Global Vice President Duncan Aldred.

View attachment 40930
Unless I’m missing something, it only has AEV bumpers and skid plates on it.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So they say its the first in class with E lockers.

(Class is half-ton gasoline and diesel pickups. Excludes other GM vehicles. Based on latest competitive data available.)

So the TRX is not in the same class of 1500's?

So this is what makes it a AEV truck?
AEV bumpers
AEV skid plates
AEV Salta rims
AEV badging.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Wow, you guys were right after all!

Check out the new 2023 Sierra 1500 AT4X AEV Edition with Carli and Thuren things and Beaver springs. They come from the factory with no front anti-sway bar either. Hahahaha, just kidding. It's just another OEM manufacturer using AEV components. ;)

“Our customers want an uncompromising combination of on-road technology and off-road capability. Leveraging GMC’s unwavering dedication to providing premium trucks and American Expedition Vehicle’s expertise in engineering and integrating performance-driven parts and accessories, this truck provides extreme capability, technology and comfort.” said GMC Global Vice President Duncan Aldred.

View attachment 40930
Bro, I love the design of AEV products as well but just rattling off marketing materials does nothing to prove any point.

GM already was working with AEV on their bison for the midsize segment. It's not shocking they would try and do a run for the 1500 series.

Again, love like 90% of their stuff, but doesn't mean jack. Pretty much every truck has an "off road" package that includes rancho shocks. Does this mean rancho is the absolute best possible shock or could it be that rancho had enough name recognition and could offer a good discount for OEMs?

Lucky Devil

Reaction score
This is a great thread. Informative, entertaining, mildly toxic, but mostly civil. I'm gonna get flamed for my addition to it.

For what it's worth, I'm a life-long off-roader. I fully understand the benefits of larger radius tires for better clearance. Bolting on more rubber requires some combination of methods for making them work - suspension mods, body lifts, body trimming, portal axles, shallower backspacing, driveline upgrades, etc.

That said, how many of you full size heavy duty truck owners have actually ever hit one of your pumpkins on an obstacle while off the pavement?? What I mean is: for the guys who have 37s or 40s, did you actually find yourself in a situation where you couldn't keep going because you were limited by ground clearance? Just seems like a lot of discussion on clearing bigger meats in an offroad segment that seldom needs it. Before you bash me for asking... I also fully understand that the time to make an upgrade is before you need it, not after. I still get the sense that not many full size truck owners with suspension lifts and big tires would get close to dragging an axle on even stock tires.

If you're putting on bigger tires and any lift because you think your ground clearance is too small, I think you're measuring the wrong thing. ;)

Flame on.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I've hit a few rocks off road with my pumpkins in Baja and out at King of the Hammers, both in my F250 and my Power Wagon. F250 had a level lift with 33s. PW is stock with 35s.

Lucky Devil

Reaction score
I believe it. I know there are several folks on this forum (and this thread specifically) that get their money's worth from the mods they make.

I'm simply observing that I see a lot of pictures of trucks with 37s parked in their driveway, and not very many of them winching out of a ravine. Nothing wrong with looking good though! I'm all for it!! (I mean that sincerely. Nothing wrong with modding a vehicle because simply because you think it looks cool. I'm guilty.)

Scubaz66

Reaction score
OK guys I think I'm on the right forum if not please lead me to the correct on.

I have a 2022 RAM 2500 6.4L Gas Crew Cab Big Horn. I want to take the rake out of the front end by raising it to match the rear so the truck sits level without a heavy load. Can anyone tell me how many inches I need to raise the front to match the rear? I'm not interested in a lift kit but want more of a leveling kit. Mainly just the spacers needed for the front, but not sure if I need to purchase 1.5", 2" or 2.5". I'm trying to raise the front just enough to make the truck look level.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
OK guys I think I'm on the right forum if not please lead me to the correct on.

I have a 2022 RAM 2500 6.4L Gas Crew Cab Big Horn. I want to take the rake out of the front end by raising it to match the rear so the truck sits level without a heavy load. Can anyone tell me how many inches I need to raise the front to match the rear? I'm not interested in a lift kit but want more of a leveling kit. Mainly just the spacers needed for the front, but not sure if I need to purchase 1.5", 2" or 2.5". I'm trying to raise the front just enough to make the truck look level.
You have to measure your truck.

And, no, this is not the correct thread for this question.

this may be useful

Last edited:

mostfrantic

Reaction score
As a Prospector XL clone owner I figured I'd chime in.

I tow relatively small trailers (5k-8k). I drive offroad frequently, mostly fire roads and trails. I went from a 15 Ram2500 to a Raptor and back to a Ram 2500. I wanted some of the offroad prowess of the Raptor with the towing ability of the diesel.

I found a 2500 with AEV Prospector XL Fenders and bumper with a Carli Pintop King lift. I see it as the best of both worlds. Meets my needs and I got a deal. Still breaking her in, got to get gears etc., but happy.

IMG_2673.JPEG

Bamaprof

Reaction score
Spacer lifts are often looked down upon. I think people put way too much stock in the "full lift" concept of changing springs. A spring has a very simple job, it just needs to hold up the vehicles weight. If you increase or decrease that weight you will need to change the spring to compensate. Past that, there are two considerations. The spring needs to be short enough when fully compressed that the coils don't bind or bunch up. It also needs to be long enough that the spring doesn't fall out when the suspension is unloaded. As long as those criteria are met, there is no reason to change to a "better" coil.

This next part is hard. Its nearly impossible to get people to accept this, but springs have very little to do with ride quality. A 10-20% change in spring rate will have no impact on ride that you can feel. Shocks are responsible for how a car, truck, train or bus handle bumps. This is knowledge earned though piles of old coil springs and shocks.
Excellent synopsis! I’ve used AEV and others (mostly Eibach) and this summary hits all the key points accurately

snocam

Reaction score
I've just hit 9 months of ownership on my 2500 6.4 with the AEV Dualsport lift. I've traveled with the truck, towed extensively, loaded the bed up, and had it off road numerous times. So far the suspension has performed well for my needs. I have used spacer lifts and full coil lifts in the past, my wife's gladiator is on a BDS 3 inch coil lift. The AEV setup works well in this truck. Only upgrade I'm planning to do is a better steering stabilizer before the summer travel/camping season kicks off. Bilstein sells a dual stabilizer kit through Rock Auto with 2 5100 series dampeners. Has anyone used this? Thanks

Desertfox73

Reaction score
As a Prospector XL clone owner I figured I'd chime in.

I tow relatively small trailers (5k-8k). I drive offroad frequently, mostly fire roads and trails. I went from a 15 Ram2500 to a Raptor and back to a Ram 2500. I wanted some of the offroad prowess of the Raptor with the towing ability of the diesel.

I found a 2500 with AEV Prospector XL Fenders and bumper with a Carli Pintop King lift. I see it as the best of both worlds. Meets my needs and I got a deal. Still breaking her in, got to get gears etc., but happy.

View attachment 55099
Does yours have the front axle relocation? I’d love to see a side profile pic.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Are you running the 5100 or 8100 shocks?
I've just hit 9 months of ownership on my 2500 6.4 with the AEV Dualsport lift. I've traveled with the truck, towed extensively, loaded the bed up, and had it off road numerous times. So far the suspension has performed well for my needs. I have used spacer lifts and full coil lifts in the past, my wife's gladiator is on a BDS 3 inch coil lift. The AEV setup works well in this truck. Only upgrade I'm planning to do is a better steering stabilizer before the summer travel/camping season kicks off. Bilstein sells a dual stabilizer kit through Rock Auto with 2 5100 series dampeners. Has anyone used this? Thanks

snocam

Reaction score
My truck has the 5100 series shocks. At some an upgrade would be nice, but the truck handles well right now.

Users who are viewing this thread