Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adaptive Transmission has power issues when shifting

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
This has been a complaint on the 1500s with the 8 speed for years. It seemed to be more pronounced in the 3.92 trucks vs the 3.21s. I had 3.92s and it bothered me at first but I just got kind of used to it. My 2500 has 4.10s and behaves the same way. Not sure we will see a fix to this.
Both of my 8 speed 1500's didn't do what my 8 speed HD does, we will see what they come up with, they took some recordings from my truck.

jsalbre

Reaction score
You won't get an ECU on an OTA update, dealer time. I hate having to manually select the gear indicator too
Why not turn it on in AlfaOBD?

ECUConfig4, change “Actual Gear Display” to “yes”.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Why not turn it on in AlfaOBD?

ECUConfig4, change “Actual Gear Display” to “yes”.
That you can do, I could use my laptop and pod for full access to everything, you can't update the ECU using the OTA updates like you radio does.

ClawSS

Reaction score
That you can do, I could use my laptop and pod for full access to everything, you can't update the ECU using the OTA updates like you radio does.
I'm kinda glad for that actually. Given how the radio updates go, I'm fine with it sitting at the dealer being force-fed instead of a solar flare disruption to the OTA refresh of the ECU causing a $80k brick.

Reaction score
So am I able to change the gear display to always be on or do I have to have the dealer to that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsalbre

Reaction score
Sorry, I was referring to the gear indicator only.

freebird_78

Reaction score
I'm hoping this addresses the tranny hanging onto 5th for an inordinate amount of time, then basically forgetting that 6ths exists.

It did this with the OEM tires and still does it when reprogrammed for the 35s.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Haven't had mine hang in 5th and skip 6th, if your trans is programmed it might not help.

freebird_78

Reaction score
Haven't had mine hang in 5th and skip 6th, if your trans is programmed it might not help.
Well, I suppose that sounds more dramatic than it really is. For most any other gear, with light load, it'll shift around 2k rpm. For 5th, it'll hang till around 2700 before shifting, then it'll only stay in 6th for about a second or two, onto 7th.

I have two other ZF 8 speeds (Diesel Gladiator and SRT Charger) to compare it to, and it's definitely not quite as smooth or refined as the other two. Those are much lighter vehicles, so load is not quite apples to apples. But the other two ALWAYS seem to be in exactly the right gear. The PW is always just a little clunky and "off" in comparison.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I dunno - the trans in my PW has been the smoothest and most comfortable transmission I've ever owned. IMO its perfectly paired to the Hemi

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Well, I suppose that sounds more dramatic than it really is. For most any other gear, with light load, it'll shift around 2k rpm. For 5th, it'll hang till around 2700 before shifting, then it'll only stay in 6th for about a second or two, onto 7th.

I have two other ZF 8 speeds (Diesel Gladiator and SRT Charger) to compare it to, and it's definitely not quite as smooth or refined as the other two. Those are much lighter vehicles, so load is not quite apples to apples. But the other two ALWAYS seem to be in exactly the right gear. The PW is always just a little clunky and "off" in comparison.
It's not the same 8 speed in an HD.

freebird_78

Reaction score
It's not the same 8 speed in an HD.
Not quite. The 8HP75 is the same between my Diesel Gladiator and the PW. The Charger has the 8HP70, which is simply a slightly lower rating of the same transmission.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
When the PW was new it would sometimes surge at low speed. Would do it only upon start up and while making maneuvers in parking lots, something about feathering the throttle and making the kind of tight turns while doing that.
It seems to have stopped.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score

A different group does the programming on those.

Users who are viewing this thread