Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adaptive Transmission has power issues when shifting

Reaction score
Hey gang. I have had my 2022 2500 6.4 hemi for about six months and I continue to have hesitations/small jerking issues when shifting. It usually happens in third or fourth gear. Is that the adaptive transmission trying to learn what gear I should be in or do I have a serious issue? Only 4K miles on the truck

ClawSS

Reaction score
I've got 10k on mine and was experiencing the same 3-4 hesitations. I also notice in a low throttle load, low load on the transmission (flat ground) and low speed, there is something that I think is involving the torque converter lockup and a jerking.
The 3-4, to me, seems like a slow to engage situation. Tow/Haul can either make it better or make it worse. I turn it on and feel the slow shift...then turn it off and it goes away then vice-versa.

My main problem with it is that I cannot reproduce it for the service team.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Mine has (almost) always been silky smooth. Experience a rough downshift once in a blue moon when decelerating quickly to turn into our drive at about 5MPH but that's it. A brief kick and then its over.

merchjo

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing between 2-3. I notice it worse in tow/haul especially when pulling my 8000lb TT. Aggressive acceleration will do it also but around town and slow acceleration not so much. It has done it so bad that your accelerating and it seems the truck engine died and your body will move forward as the truck stops accelerating but you don't. Its coming up to 5K, I figure would be enough time for them to check but its random so not sure how they can reproduce it.

Reaction score
Ya, I just brought mine into the dealership to look at it and they couldn’t duplicate the issue. They said that it’s a new truck and sometimes it takes a little more track record before they come up with a fix/update to solve these issues. Super frustrating though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMoore

Reaction score
I notice the same thing similar to jetrinka... Seems to always be 2-1 downshift. I'm right at 12k miles and have had it happen 5 or 6 times.

ClawSS

Reaction score
@brv10 ... Thanks for that info, but I hope that it is something made available to anyone requesting and not something that I have to dismantle my truck and prove a failure to get service.

kevin588127

Reaction score
@brv10 ... Thanks for that info, but I hope that it is something made available to anyone requesting and not something that I have to dismantle my truck and prove a failure to get service.
You'll probably have to find the info on it and hold your dealers hand to get it done. There was a pcm update for the trans on my wife's town and country. Talked to two different guys at the dealer and both said it didn't exist. Finally on a third call, they were able to find that one was available. Charged me 100 bucks (out of warranty) and it has so far cured the shifting issues in that vehicle.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
It's hard to what they will call it, probably just a TSB, they are using my truck to get some baseline numbers on.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Not sure, mine has a delayed engagement also when turning the knob to drive, it takes a second or 2, they are aware.

Reaction score
How do you find out about these updates? Is there a site that they post this on or a different forum? Or do you just have to have an in with a mechanic?

ClawSS

Reaction score
How do you find out about these updates? Is there a site that they post this on or a different forum? Or do you just have to have an in with a mechanic?

@brv10 has a inside track based on his job, I believe. @Staples-22 Hemi 6.4 2500 , you will just want to keep your ear to the ground for updates and threads and then listen when he speaks. :)
There are other sights around the internet (as well as some TSB threads here) that keep up with updates and such, but to get the inside scoop way before they hit paper/code, you are better served to hit the forum often.

matemike

Reaction score
Thanks @brv10

I'm hoping the ECU flash will smooth out the downshifting clunk/jerk.
That's what my 2022 8spd Hemi 2500 Laramie does. 7,100 miles now. My 9 year old daughter was in the back seat the other day and she even made a comment like, " daddy, your truck jerks my head when you're trying to stop sometimes"

It shifts fine when accelerating, whether towing or driving empty, easy or heavy acceleration. But the downshifting when coming to a stop while in 4th to a sudden 3-2-1. (according to my gear indicator when I make it show up.) That's another thing I wish we could do, make the gear indicator show up automatically for every start-up and not have to select the max gear to use which also removes the eco mode. Which Meh, about that. Just wish the gear indicator always showed.

I'm also waiting on an OTA update that will fix the cargo camera. Is the ECU flash coming in the same OTA update? Or will it be something we need to bring the truck in for?

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
You won't get an ECU on an OTA update, dealer time. I hate having to manually select the gear indicator too

kevin588127

Reaction score
Thanks @brv10

I'm hoping the ECU flash will smooth out the downshifting clunk/jerk.
That's what my 2022 8spd Hemi 2500 Laramie does. 7,100 miles now. My 9 year old daughter was in the back seat the other day and she even made a comment like, " daddy, your truck jerks my head when you're trying to stop sometimes"

It shifts fine when accelerating, whether towing or driving empty, easy or heavy acceleration. But the downshifting when coming to a stop while in 4th to a sudden 3-2-1. (according to my gear indicator when I make it show up.) That's another thing I wish we could do, make the gear indicator show up automatically for every start-up and not have to select the max gear to use which also removes the eco mode. Which Meh, about that. Just wish the gear indicator always showed.

I'm also waiting on an OTA update that will fix the cargo camera. Is the ECU flash coming in the same OTA update? Or will it be something we need to bring the truck in for?
This has been a complaint on the 1500s with the 8 speed for years. It seemed to be more pronounced in the 3.92 trucks vs the 3.21s. I had 3.92s and it bothered me at first but I just got kind of used to it. My 2500 has 4.10s and behaves the same way. Not sure we will see a fix to this.

Users who are viewing this thread