Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active Noise Cancellation on 6.7L

senecagreen

Reaction score
I installed the bypass harness from LLJ Customs this morning. My ANC box was above and to the left of the brake pedal. 2021 Ram 2500 tradesman CTD.

I took it for a drive. Its still just as quiet on the highway as it was before. Where I noticed it louder was at idle in gear and low rpms around town. I think low rpms is where the ANC actually does something. Louder around town and quiet on the highway is perfect for me.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It’s F71, but that can only be pulled if you have the base 6 speaker system. Alpine or HK system, the ANC module is the amplifier, and pulling that fuse will kill the whole sound system.
I have the tradesman 6 speaker system with the 8.4 if i pull the ANC fuse it wont play sound so i am assuming you mean the 5” is the only one you can pull the fuse?

senecagreen

Reaction score
I have the tradesman 6 speaker system with the 8.4 if i pull the ANC fuse it wont play sound so i am assuming you mean the 5” is the only one you can pull the fuse?
I have the same and the bypass harness didnt kill the stereo and the phone system still works.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have the same and the bypass harness didnt kill the stereo and the phone system still works.
Im not going to buy a harness as im keeping the oem system ill just have to get alfa obd i was just more curious if the 5” vs 8.4” made a difference that one needs the amp or not

Lumpskie

Reaction score
Just happened to stumble on this topic and don't have anything to add... but why are you all disabling your active noise cancelling? Just because you are upgrading stereo systems?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just happened to stumble on this topic and don't have anything to add... but why are you all disabling your active noise cancelling? Just because you are upgrading stereo systems?
I do it for different situations

senecagreen

Reaction score
I actually like the sound of the CTD and don't mind hearing it . If I had some terrible sounding engine I might be thankful in a vehicle like that to have ANC.

The harness doesnt make the mic connections and can easily be removed to go back to stock

jadmt

Reaction score
I actually like the sound of the CTD and don't mind hearing it . If I had some terrible sounding engine I might be thankful in a vehicle like that to have ANC.

The harness doesnt make the mic connections and can easily be removed to go back to stock
I have a 6.4 hemi and i wonder how bad it would sound without it? Buddy has a new duramax and we were parked side by side and our trucks had sat for a couple of hours in 0F temps and mine actually sounded more like a diesel than his.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I guess I made an assumption from hearing people say “just pull the fuse” that they actually successfully done that. If you have a non amplified 6 speaker system, whether 5” or 8.4” radio, the ANC module is stand alone (not integrated into the amplifier). So, it would stand to reason that if you pull power from the anc module, it won’t allow the speaker signals to pass through it.
That leaves AlfaOBD, anc bypass harness, or pull the connections to the mics.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I guess I made an assumption from hearing people say “just pull the fuse” that they actually successfully done that. If you have a non amplified 6 speaker system, whether 5” or 8.4” radio, the ANC module is stand alone (not integrated into the amplifier). So, it would stand to reason that if you pull power from the anc module, it won’t allow the speaker signals to pass through it.
That leaves AlfaOBD, anc bypass harness, or pull the connections to the mics.
Good to know i will be trying to order a bypass cable soon i have everything else already

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I've pulled my fuse. the only thing it affected was the anc. my tradesman did come with the 5" but I upgraded to the 8.4 a while ago.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I've pulled my fuse. the only thing it affected was the anc. my tradesman did come with the 5" but I upgraded to the 8.4 a while ago.
Interesting i pulled my fuse and had no sound output at all after putting the fuse back in the sound came on thats a real head scratcher

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Fuse F71? Do you have 6 mics in the headliner, or 2?

jadmt

Reaction score
from the owners manual

Your vehicle is equipped with an Active Noise Cancellation system that cannot be turned off. This system is designed to address exhaust and engine noise. The system relies on four microphones embedded in the headliner, which monitor exhaust and engine noise, and assists an onboard frequency generator, which creates counteracting sound waves in the audio system’s speakers. This helps keep the vehicle quiet at idle and during drive. The system is deactivated when the windows are rolled down.

JHeat2500

Reaction score
For those that don't have Alfa-OBD and have no intention of buying it, you can purchase a simple $12.00 harness from LLJ customs that is plug and play, no cutting and completely reversible. It's literally about 30 seconds of work to install.

As far as the "why" behind disabling, it's not always about adding aftermarket stereo equipment. Some people can't tolerate ANC very well. It's fairly rare, but it can cause headaches for sensitive individuals as it doesn't remove noise from the cabin, it actually increases it, but changes how our ears perceive it. It also can cause your music to lose much of it's bottom end response. The technology "cancels" specific frequencies that it targets by generating those same frequencies, but out of phase. My guess is that it's designed to only target specific frequencies that exist for a set amount of time in order to reduce how much it impacts any music, but I don't know what that time amount is and there will inevitably be music that exceeds that time frame. Also, I have a feeling that the technology is still a bit limited and gets "tricked" by the complex acoustics found in vehicles where all sorts of constructive and destructive interference already occurs due to the large amount of glass, cabin gain and obstructions that exist within the cabin. It's also very dependent on every single factory speaker that the system utilizes having proper polarity from the factory. One speaker having the wires flipped would ultimately create problems.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The reason I dont like it is i like my music loud and it really reduces the base at max volume

Riddick

Reaction score
On my 22 with the Alpine system every time I powered on or off the truck my speakers would pop, you really noticed it when you opened and closed the doors. I could not figure out what it was but I disabled ANC and it stopped doing it. Additionally certain songs would cause a crackling sound in my speakers only when the truck is moving. Disabling the ANC seems to have cured the power on/off issues for sure, I want to drive it some more to see how the speakers sound but hopefully the crackling/sounds are gone for good.

FWIW, I used Alpha OBD and its very easy to disable and if I decide to turn it back on I still have the option. I hate to bump an old thread but I found this very useful and hopefully it can help someone else.

Big thanks to @Jimmy07 for posting how to locate ANC in Alpha. I believe it was located within the BCM, Car Configuration Change (scroll towards bottom of options), then search for P/S Chasis Net ANC

Last edited:

merchjo

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Ram 2500 with the 12" screen and alpine amplified. I use to have a 2018 Ram 1500 that I had the security bypass cable when I used AlfaOBD. Does anyone know if I can use the same security cable to modify my 2022?

The ANC hurts my ears because there is a high pitch feedback when people talk in the truck.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread