Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Issues? Anyone else

jakalafus

Reaction score
Anyone know what these are?

There are two STAR cases for air conditioning performance, S1824000012 and S1924000014. Your dealer can look these up and see if they will help.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Anyone know what these are?

There are two STAR cases for air conditioning performance, S1824000012 and S1924000014. Your dealer can look these up and see if they will help.
Let us know if anything comes. Of these start cases my dealer tested mine and said it's within specs and since it is won't pursue anything else

JimmyZ

Reaction score
After contacting one of the RamCares people that pop up on here I was called by John today. John just kept repeating over and over that the dealer states the test results were with in factory specifications and that they stand behind the dealers test results. This was obviously a canned response. I asked him if 55 degrees at the vent was normal and just repeated him self. I called the dealer and asked them if they could show me how they measured the vent temp and he told me "no I cant do that" In his defense I didn't buy this truck from them so I'm sure it aggravated him to have me call back and question the results. Tomorrow I will show up cold to the dealer I got the truck from and ask for a tech to come out and tell me if 55 degrees is normal. I'm wondering if any one has been helped by these RamCare guys I see chiming in on the forums? There must be lots of 19 and 20 HD's with good A/C systems but god knows there are enough complaints on this forum and others as well as Face Book about poor A/C performance, that FCA must be well aware of the problem. Some have said that after an evac and refill (I suspect with a bit more Freon) their A/C blows colder. this was not offered. "John" from RamCares told me my case is now closed because my A/C is working as designed according to the dealer. I'm thinking it might be hard to get one dealer to contradict another but I'mView attachment 5136View attachment 5137View attachment 5138View attachment 5139 going to try. I really like the truck but I would advise any one thinking of buying one to bring a A/C probe thermometer and make sure that sucker gets down to 46 degrees or colder because FCA is not helping people who have problems. From my conversations with them today, Ram most definitely does not care.
I agree I finally had a dealers that actually looked into the problem.. I was told that it was low on refrigerant on a 2019 2500 diesel with 4,000 miles on it. I told the service dude that that means there must be a leak Then. After leaving the dealer it did blow colder but have to run it on low all the time and I swear the fan is slow to respond and is acting strange.. Ram Cares has told me a few times to get a second opinion and to DM them if I needed further assistance. I did and they have been no help at all.

jakalafus

Reaction score
Today my dealer told me they had been told that a fix for the Evap sensor assembly or routing was coming but that it has been almost a year so most likely not happening. I also asked if any way they can change the EVAP setting to less than 39 degrees and he said no.

M Penwald

Reaction score
Was told mine was in spec after 2 dealers and a active case. Blows cool at best but far from cold. 95 here today and it was warm in the cab all day while driving for almost 5 hours.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Was told mine was in spec after 2 dealers and a active case. Blows cool at best but far from cold. 95 here today and it was warm in the cab all day while driving for almost 5 hours.

That is the ongoing problem.. it is within spec... however, the spec sucks...only been to the dealer twice, but every time I have them put down that the AC is inadequate and does not blow cold enough.
You can't say that it 'doesn't work' because so long as it is within spec, you'll get nowhere.

jakalafus

Reaction score
That is the ongoing problem.. it is within spec... however, the spec sucks...only been to the dealer twice, but every time I have them put down that the AC is inadequate and does not blow cold enough.
You can't say that it 'doesn't work' because so long as it is within spec, you'll get nowhere.
The Hose pinch on the heater core intake works amazing. Drops vents 10 degrees or more. Sucks we have to do this though.

johanh13

Reaction score
FWIW, most ACs work for crap in AZ during the dry season.. no humidity means the AC really doesn't work.

My AC seems barely adequate, it takes a while to cool off, so the fan runs at high speed for a long time.

A note about how Air conditioning works, humidity will actually decrease the cooling efficiency. When the AC runs in high humidity, there will be lots of condensation (the opposite of evaporation, which causes a cooling effect). The drier air will therefore be easier to cool.
For example, in AZ you might be trying to cool off 110 degrees with 5% humidity, while in Florida it might be 90 degrees and 40% humidity. So in AZ the system drops the dry air by 30 degrees, giving you 80 degrees in the cab, which is still quite warm. In FL it might only drop 20 degrees (due to the higher humidity) so in cab temp is 70 degrees. For most people 70 degrees (dry air) is comfortable. Note that I am not talking about the temp of the air coming out of the vent, I am talking about actual in-cab temps. I realize this example is not very scientific, but I think you get my point.

Having said all that, I do agree the cooling capacity is less than it should be...

Last edited:

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
The Hose pinch on the heater core intake works amazing. Drops vents 10 degrees or more. Sucks we have to do this though.

It is something I am seriously considering if they can't get their act together (which I highly doubt they will)

brucie

Reaction score
My wife complains about indoor air temperatures being too cold when under 74 degrees. When we drive in the truck I have the AC blowing full force as cold as it can get for hours at a time and she never complains. It is unacceptable that RAM considers this normal operation and I can't wait to get rid of the truck. I am just watching the wholesale value v. the 20K that I put into the 5 year loan, to get to a point where I can get most if not all of the money I put into it. That should be at about the 3 year year point. I will never buy any other product made by FCA. I should have known better.

Burton12387

Reaction score
I’m with you [mention]brucie [/mention] , I’ll be looking hard at a superduty after the new interiors phase into them in a couple years. Ram has made a profit off me and then hanging me out to dry for the last time. I know everyone has their horror stories about ford, but with my personal experience, I might as well roll the dice with a different manufacturer next time.

I’ve put a valve on the discharge side of my heater core for the summers (not ideal I know, I’d rather be on the inlet side, but the discharge side is way easier to work with and reach the valve).

Can’t believe in 2020 you need to be concerned with taking a thermometer with you on a test drive.......or worry about buying a vehicle in a month with temps below 70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vapor567

Reaction score
2019 6.4 here and today is the first day I really noticed my AC cab cooling capability it terrible. Had the thing on Max AC all the way and it felt barely cool, not even close to cold. My wife's Kia minivan gets super cold to the point I have to turn it off it's so cold.
Haven't had a chance to read over this whole thread is there any fix the dealers can do?

brucie

Reaction score
2019 6.4 here and today is the first day I really noticed my AC cab cooling capability it terrible. Had the thing on Max AC all the way and it felt barely cool, not even close to cold. My wife's Kia minivan gets super cold to the point I have to turn it off it's so cold.
Haven't had a chance to read over this whole thread is there any fix the dealers can do?
Short answer: No
Long answer: No

brucie

Reaction score
Any middle answer solution

Not that involves the dealer. Personally I’m not ready to re-engineer the cooling/heating system but there are people here that have done a relatively simple modification with excellent results. I’m just not willing to risk not having a warranty for an engine failure.

I’m just a little warm of comfortable at full cool and can live through two or three more hot seasons before I dump the truck. Haven’t seen 100 yet and may change my mind and get rid of the truck sooner at a loss if its terribly uncomfortable. I just haven’t seen that yet except one day during 30 minutes of driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

There isn't a 'fix' because according to FCA it is working 'within spec'... the spec, however, sucks.

Speedracer93CobraR

Reaction score
I have been driving our 2019 Ram 5500 crew cab this morning and noticed that the air seems to work better / blow colder than my 2020 2500. Does anyone know if there is any difference in the system of the 2500 vs the 5500? I have not put a thermometer on it, but I can assure you it is hot and humid here again today and it is colder than my 2500. The 5500 does have automatic climate control.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been driving our 2019 Ram 5500 crew cab this morning and noticed that the air seems to work better / blow colder than my 2020 2500. Does anyone know if there is any difference in the system of the 2500 vs the 5500? I have not put a thermometer on it, but I can assure you it is hot and humid here again today and it is colder than my 2500. The 5500 does have automatic climate control.

I think some have reported the higher trim models with dual zone control are more prone to the issue than those without.

99ls1tj

Reaction score
What are you all being told the spec is? Alldata shows 55* at 90 ambient and 45* at 80 ambient. I feel my A/C is lacking as well. It would meet the 90* ambient test (55*), but I'm almost posive I would not get to 45* at 80* ambient. It's probably going to be in the 90's here for the next couple of months. I may wait until the temp gets back to 80 and take it in.

Users who are viewing this thread