Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.5” vs 12” touchscreen

Jfrano

Reaction score
Wondering what peoples preferences are on these two screens?

Thanks

Ruffone

Reaction score
That’s a loaded question you asked there, I bet you’ll get most people liking the screen size that they got. Me personally, I like and have the 8.5” screen. I like it for the fact that it is much more compact and not as busy as the long screen. Like what is being mentioned now in a couple of posts, the 8.5” screen is really bright at night so I couldn’t imagine how much more light is put out with the bigger screen. One of the biggest reasons is that I actually have physical knobs that I can adjust for the A/C and such just in case something goes wrong with the touch screen.

Jfrano

Reaction score
Are the resolution the same? I sat in one with the 12” was so crisp, I actually thought it was a printed label. Didn’t realize the car was already running.

The other part of the story is I’ve had a 2020 Laramie on order for 2 months and will be coming in soon. I ran the VIn and the build showed 8.4, which was NOT what I ordered ugggh. So I can take it (dealer gave $1k lower price) or reorder it and wait another 2 months, $77k Laramie -$12k off.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 80

I think the 8.4 may be less glitchy. My 12" U Connect has been trouble since day one with no resolution as yet.

Ruffone

Reaction score
Are the resolution the same?
That’s a great question, I’ve never seen the two side by side and I don’t know what the resolution is for each screen. I know my 8.4” is clear and crisp. Is it HD quality, it’s hard to tell without playing a video. But according to the forum, it does seem like there are more glitches with the bigger screen at the moment.

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
Oh, that’s a tough one! You obviously wanted the 12”. I’ve had two 12” screens - the first in a 2019 1500 Laramie and loved it. We needed more payload and got a 2019 2500. I would have taken either the 8.4” or 12” but the truck we found had the 12”. I do like the ability to use the split screen (top and bottom) plus the full 12” in NAV is really nice.

I’d go spend some time at the dealer with both and see if you can do with the 8.4”. If that’s what you had to start, you’d probably be fine with it.
Photo below is from our 1500.

Attachments

• 0C0A773A-3C86-48DD-A6C0-D85DB79DB116.jpeg
    0C0A773A-3C86-48DD-A6C0-D85DB79DB116.jpeg
    549.9 KB · Views: 102

MyFavreInABox

Reaction score
I have the 12” but if given the choice is go with 8. 12” is buggy, many features still not working, and is simply not worth the price once the honeymoon phase is over.

U

User_1648

I'm probably going to regret this...but...I've had no issues with my 12.1" screen. Love the clarity and the ease of use.

For those of you having issues (@MyFavreInABox and @1HasBeen) - how long did you have your trucks before you started seeing problems? Just wondering, so I know what to expect.

Note - reread @1HasBeen havng problems from day 1.

D

Deleted member 80

I'm probably going to regret this...but...I've had no issues with my 12.1" screen. Love the clarity and the ease of use.

For those of you having issues (@MyFavreInABox and @1HasBeen) - how long did you have your trucks before you started seeing problems? Just wondering, so I know what to expect.

Note - reread @1HasBeen havng problems from day 1.
Mine pretty much started acting up immediately.

Jfrano

Reaction score
Looking at the 8.5, I like the physical nature of the additional knobs etc. So getting an additional 1k off the deal, I’m moving to taking the truck ordered . Truck also has diesel Laramie Mega Cab and Ram Box ; so there aren’t many of those sitting on dealer lots, to choose as alternative with the 12” screen.

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
Sounds like the right decision! Post some photos once you get it.

Wileykid

Reaction score
I have the 8.5" screen in mine. I looked at the 12", but did not like the idea of it taking the whole center area. Did not feel great with all the glass, plus I like the knobs, which I can just twist or press to get what I want. Maybe I am more old school on that stuff.

Coming from a different brand '16 truck that had a touch screen, this one is outstanding in clarity. Lines are crisp.

Jfrano

Reaction score
Calling dealer Dulles Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, will try and get deal on also swapping out stock tires for General Graber ATX.
I’m sure I’ll be happy with the 8.4 based on all the input . Thanks much!

RB18C

Reaction score
I love the look of the 12” screen. Saying that I have the 8.4” and am really happy with it. A ton of ppl are having issues with the 12”

Jfrano

Reaction score
It’s my first pickup! We bought a 29’ Ranger Tug, so I need something to tow it from time to time. I think I’ll love the truck either way. Can’t wait .

I hear it’s in the JS. status as of 5 days ago

Last edited:

offroadr

Reaction score
I hadn't heard of 12" in screen issues until this thread. You would think in over a year of availability they would have the bugs worked out!

I like them and am shopping for a new truck now

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of 12" in screen issues until this thread. You would think in over a year of availability they would have the bugs worked out!

I like them and am shopping for a new truck now
Lol... I think the bugs are just starting to work their way out.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
My wife is jealous that she doesn't need to go into sub-menus to turn on her seat warmer like she does in her jeep, and likely with the 12" screen as well. I can't blame her

Some things that should be a simple push or turn ends up being multiple pushes, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread