Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.5” vs 12” touchscreen

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
My wife is jealous that she doesn't need to go into sub-menus to turn on her seat warmer like she does in her jeep, and likely with the 12" screen as well. I can't blame her

Some things that should be a simple push or turn ends up being multiple pushes, etc.

I believe you can move that function down to the 'task bar' so it is readily available... being in FL I have the seat vent there for quick access.

Brav

Reaction score
I would have liked some knobs for climate seats but I like the 12. Don’t need it. It is buggy and some features are not integrated (yet....?). Guardian told me that the u connect app will not have the same features as the 8.5, such as getting any vehicle info. That’s complete ********, but should be able to update software later I believe. If you are patient 12” is probably ok but I wouldn’t feel too sad to not have it. I had to with limited trim

TexMarQue

Reaction score
I've got the 8 inch, and I am happy with it. The 12 sure looks pretty, but the 8 was a huge upgrade for me coming from a 2006 that had no screen. Without having used a 12 inch myself, the only thing I have seen in the promo videos that I'm a little jealous of is the ability to split the screen with your nav map on half and the radio display on the other half. I do find myself switching back and forth a bit during longer drives. I would suggest that you request the dealer let you test drive something they have on the lot with an 8 inch display for a day or two. Make sure to play with it using your phone plugged in and try using any features you think you need on a regular basis.

D

Deleted member 80

The split screen is nice, but the Nav card does not default to the map, so you have to swipe across it every startup to get the map to show. Pretty dumb.

ST3500

Reaction score
I went from a 9" Alpine to the 12" factory Ram unit...……….. very nice upgrade, nicest radio screen I ever had!!
Would I go back to anything smaller than the 12" ?...….. nahhh..... LOL ;-)
(But, if my truck came with the 8" screen: I'm sure I would like it, as well).

oaklandopen

Reaction score
I believe you can move that function down to the 'task bar' so it is readily available... being in FL I have the seat vent there for quick access.
Are you saying she can do that in her jeep?

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
I put seat time in both when looking. Really happy with my 8.4. As mentioned earlier it's all an upgrade from the Frontier it replaced and my JK just has a 130 w/alpine. I've experienced no issues so far. Down the line, the 8.4 will be easily found if this one takes a poo and at half the cost. But the Power Wagon with the 12" screen sure was wanting me to Sign right there. No lube or foreplay!

ST3500

Reaction score
One thing I personally notice is that the 12" screen can be a real distraction, every time you change radio station(s) / audio inputs, navigation, applications, climate control and so on...……. it definitely takes your eyes off the road for quite some time.
I'm not saying it is as bad as using a cell phone while driving, but it's quite similar.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
I don't know...I thought you were talking about the RAM..

I was when I was referring to simple mechanical push buttons. My ram has the 8.4 with push buttons for the heated seats and steering wheel, her jeep is touch screen only for those things

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I was when I was referring to simple mechanical push buttons. My ram has the 8.4 with push buttons for the heated seats and steering wheel, her jeep is touch screen only for those things

Ah... may want to download the actual Owner's Manual online... on my 12" I can put whatever 'buttons' I want along the bottom.

Distillusion

Reaction score
Yep, my Rams with the 8.4 have all been like that. The closest push button to the passenger seat is the heated seat control. Plus the 8.4 also allows you to set controls across the bottom task bar. I haven't had the need for any, but I don't see why I couldn't put a heated seat button shortcut down there, too. As it is, I drive with the display turned off most of the time, especially at night in the countryside. And the wife's jeep is like your wife's.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
I started to test this out the other day by holding one of the items down on the touch screen, but I was "in motion" so it wouldn't let me do anything. This was in the jeep

So it seems I can definitely change up the items. I'll have to let her know and she can tell me what she wants there. I like the ones preset for the truck, but I'm sure she'll want the heated controls available with one touch instead of going into the controls menu first

MyFavreInABox

Reaction score
One thing I personally notice is that the 12" screen can be a real distraction, every time you change radio station(s) / audio inputs, navigation, applications, climate control and so on...……. it definitely takes your eyes off the road for quite some time.
I'm not saying it is as bad as using a cell phone while driving, but it's quite similar.
Somewhat related - one of my biggest annoyances is the clock moves depending on source (ie carplay vs siriusxm). Something as simple as the clock should never move and shouldn't take longer than a second to find it. Speaking of siriusxm, with it being a highlighted feature, why does it take two button presses to get there yet CD, USB, bluetooth, AM, FM all have dedicated buttons with only 1 press needed?

@JC

Reaction score
Somewhat related - one of my biggest annoyances is the clock moves depending on source (ie carplay vs siriusxm). Something as simple as the clock should never move and shouldn't take longer than a second to find it. Speaking of siriusxm, with it being a highlighted feature, why does it take two button presses to get there yet CD, USB, bluetooth, AM, FM all have dedicated buttons with only 1 press needed?

The real question is why does Ram still include a CD player at all?

traildude

Reaction score
My understanding is the 2020’s do not have a CD player. I ordered a loaded 2500 Laramie & nothing on the Vin equipment list mentions a CD player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hstone556

Reaction score
The only thing I don’t like is my 12” always reverts back to outside air when I’d prefer recirculate. Other than that, I’m happy with my decision. It was one of the features that sold the truck for me, and the Pearl White paint and black trim package. I’ll be keeping this truck a while so I wanted the most features I could afford.

@JC

Reaction score
My understanding is the 2020’s do not have a CD player. I ordered a loaded 2500 Laramie & nothing on the Vin equipment list mentions a CD player.

The 19s still had them, I'm hoping you're right about the 20s.

Ruffone

Reaction score
The real question is why does Ram still include a CD player at all?
Actually @JC, the real question is why is it that so many people are so concerned about an additional piece of hardware that FCA decided to add in our trucks? Manufacturers do this all the time, especially when they force you to select certain packages that come with a bunch of useless stuff you don’t want just to get the one item that you do want. Is it that in some of the trucks you can see it everyday and it just rubs you wrong knowing that it’s there and you will never use it? I’m not trying to be funny, I’m just curious as to what the rub is.

Users who are viewing this thread